Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello all! Some of you might know me
smile.gif
I am Vanguarde, from the IRC channel
smile.gif

Hi Konny, Thuggy, Lappy, Aida, Angelica 1, Tekken, etc...

Well anyway the reason I am posting here is because I need to report this RIGHT AWAY. I used the channel for about 30 minutes yesterday, and guess what I found today. Seems during my random virus scans, I picked up 3 different 'Trojan Horse programs'. It took about an hour and the Noron Anti Virus website to fully remove these 'parasites', which 'bored' deep into my registry as well. All 3 were 'mini-irc' apps, so the person who hacked me could use my computer in a Ddos attack, and in fact know everything that was going on in my computer. I *do not* know who hacked me, or whos files are infected, but I suggest that the Ops in that channel get things in order, or at the least WARN people to check, etc.
Whoever is planting trojans in the chat room is lame ass SHIT btw.
For everyone who is 'techy' and want to know exactly which Trojan horse programs I was hacked and infected with, here are the links to the three worms I found on my computer after going to the IRC channel #GBAtemp

1: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen....assasin.c.html

2: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...irccontact.html

3: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...ojan.iblis.html

So there we go. I myself will NOT be in the chatroom until I hear something from the people who run it, and after I beef up my protection from this CRAP.

Thanks for your time and to all my fans - Holla if you hear me!

/me starts to flex his biceps as he thinks of Aida

Peer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
viruses piss me off soooooo much. thanks for the warning. i've had some recent infections so i'm trying to be pretty careful

stivsama

GBA-Tenchan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmm, even IRC can be unreliable, huh?..
wink.gif

Hey waitasec! Don't all roms (more or less) come from IRC? Does this mean trojans are in my roms right now??
blink.gif

Here's hoping to survive..
ph34r.gif

KiVan

Hooray! Member n# 1!!!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Italy
many many people use mirc and irc in general, but i can assure you it's not a vehicle for viruses.. unless you accept certain infected files, which most likely ARE NOT .gba files...

are you sure you got the virus from mirc??

neocat

The GbaTemp 1337 Cat of D00M!!
Trophies
Website
www.neocat.2ya.com
XP
Country
IRC is the BEST way to get any sorts of viruses, or trojans, but every channel has them, all it takes is someone entering the channel and start spreading them. If you're so afraid all you have to do is not accepting unrequested files, use an anti-virus, get a defensive script, or else don't go there

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Come on people, stop being so paranoid. IRC is relativity safe as long as you know what you are doing.
Sure your IP address is advertised throughout the channels you join, and people can use that to try and hack your PC, and dump back door trojans on you, just make sure you have a decent enough firewall to prevent this. I use Norton Personal Firewall and it works fine, it picks up any sort of trojan activity on your ports.
Also obviously DCC transfers can be risky because you never know for sure what is being sent to you, but as long as you don't accept files from people you don't know and you run a virus check on any files you have downloaded before running them then you should be okay.
Just remember to keep your antivirus product up to date by using the live or web update frequently or setting it on auto update.

Oh and Vanguarde, I'd check to see the source of those supposed Trojans you have on your system before scaring off people from our channel. I suspect you got them through an e-mail attatchment or through a website. Unless you accept all file transfers on IRC and download unknown files then I doubt you got them through IRC.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

neocat

The GbaTemp 1337 Cat of D00M!!
Trophies
Website
www.neocat.2ya.com
XP
Country
Sure your IP address is advertised throughout the channels you join
If you're not an OP, you see a fake IP
wink.gif
Learn IRC a bit more before saying that, there are numerous ways to find someones IP address within IRC very easily.
wink.gif
HELLO! you said when you join and when you join all the others see is a fake IP. Sure you can use a special program but I wasn't talking about that
wink.gif

Ap0cAl1pS3

GBAtemp d3m0n
Trophies
XP
Country
u can only install a trojan on your computer if u open a exe file u got.......

and the most files from gbatemp channel are or in .zip or .gba so u must got those files from other channels or sites..........

Angelical_1

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've used irc everyday (give or take a few) for the past 5 years + .... as already stated ... if all you are downloading are .zip files with a .gba a .nfo and maybe a couple of .txt files in you have no worries. Simple as that.

I would advise though that one uses a firewall... Zone Alarm is free. (www.zonelabs.com)

Regards Angelical_1

Saria

The Sage Of The Forest Temple
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
doesnt have too even be called a trojan.... a virus can come from anywhere
Trojans are mostly *.exes but have known to reside in IRC scripts (specially addons) and *.bat (batch files)

Viruses can infect anything and everything.... and any upto date Virus Scanner should detect them....

If your worried and you know about the registry just goto
hkey local machine / software / microsoft / windows / current version / run
If there is a proggie in there that you dont remember having or whatever ... just highlight it and delete...
thats more then likely a trojan...
or get Lockdown and let it remove it for you.....
smile.gif

Fenriz

Trophies
Website
www.darkthrone.no
XP
Country
Brazil
Trojans CAN be got without a DCC transfer in IRC, but they only work if they are remotely executed or executed by the user....
*i need to learn english*

You should open a Direct Connect HUB or something... IRC is old, and lack features for file spreeding...

X

xBla

Just use WhoIs on any User in IRC and youll have his IP. But anyways, i dont believe you got it through IRC unless you have auto-accept turned on and execute every File you get, even if you dont know the source. And if your doin so, youre a bit dumb, eh?
biggrin.gif

btw: Im using IRC for three years now.

Vanguarde

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi ! Thanks for all the replies to this concern. And I am SO glad that no flames happened in this thread.
smile.gif

First of all, I am not a 'dim' computer user, I know what is going on with my computer, how it should act, why it acts when it acts, etc. I also run a Firewall, and in fact 2 Anti-Virus Scanners, and 1 Trojan horse program detector. ( Norton, Affe, and Sentinel )
There was NO trojans on my computer before I went into the channel the other day - and I in fact used the channel several times before, with no problems. Just this day I went, after I logged off, and turned my computer off, the next day when I boot up, my scanner pops up and says it has detected a trojan. Shocked, I quickly run the trojan horse scanner, and find 2 more trojans, which have 'dug' into my registry, etc. I try to 'repair' them with Norton, but it fails, so I quarintine them, and then manually hunt down every file it put on my computer. I won't go into the files, but if you are interested the links will take you to detailed descritpions of the trojans, in my first post on this thread to get the links to that.
I am not saying at all that #GBAtemp is the *only* place where this can happen, I am saying it did happen, and happens every day on many, many IRC channels. I just felt the need to report this, because I can see tons of 'rom newbies' who go to the channel just for roms, and hardly know IRC to be mass infected with this Trojans, which have Ddos abilites, and the 'hacker' ( probably a script kiddie at best ) could use his mass amount of computers and bandwith from his trojan horse programs he/she spread on the channel to help attack a website, and the people who are affected would not even know, besides having his/her internet/internet games run slow. ( I.E. :laggy )
For the record, I downloaded 4 roms that night on IRC, 2 from "Ko", and 2 from "Serp". All were ROMS, no .exe's, etc. I don't see how these files could execute a trojan - and in fact I have used both Ko's and Serp's wonderful sharing service in the past with no problems. Who knows, maybe they don't even know they might be infected? All it takes is one person who does not scan for the damned things to spread. 8(
So in the end, I have not aquired software that will protect me when I go back to GBAtemp, and I encourage everyone to go to GBAtemp - it's a GREAT place to find erhm.. Demos
wink.gif
AND you know what? If you talk to the people there, they are pretty cool and talk to you back!
smile.gif
I have some friends there myself. Just be SAFE, GET AND USE a firewall, GET AND USE a virus scanner, GET AND USE ADAWARE. Just getting the software is not enough - take the time to set it up !
smile.gif

I myself go into the channel with a 'pro' edition firewall, ( Zonealarm ) Norton on with full script scanning and real time virus/trojan protection, ( Slows computer down, so I only turn it on when I go into the channel! You can turn it off after you go offline and stop downloading stuff, like when playing games ^^ ) and since I like to not just 'take' attacks, I also run black ice - which can trace and ( if you know it's secrets) counter-attack to a degree.
Kewl stuff ;0

Well anyway, thanks for your time everyone, and again be safe! (

- Mike

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its actua!ly just a old joke, meaning its slow. Was just kidding around with you.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I bet @AncientBoi has some hamsters hidden somewhere tho....
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think Game streaming should work like this.... Local Hardware able the run the game fine, game engine and common assets stored locally, all FMV and music and textures could be streaming
    +1
    Some temporary storage
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also @BigOnYa im making some progress on my gdevelop project, implemented various mechanics
    They went all in on streaming, should have been more of a hybrid approach
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or free government supplied high speed internet be nice also. Like Obama care. Xdqwerty that's cool, its time consuming but rewarding once done or playable, to see what you've made from scratch. Animations take forever, but worth it.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, although the bullets are a bit buggy
    +1
    Not to mention this would be a massive pain to pirate
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    and the visual aspect of the game is quite crude (the sprite that looks best is that of the protagonist just because he is a stickman with sunglasses)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There is a bullets behaviour you assign to your character, that makes the code easier, under "behaviours"
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant that when the character is pointing to the right, the bullets spawn where they should, but when he is on the right, they move to the right but the spawn point is incorrect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Itch.io has lots of free assets also. Under the bullets behavior tab, there is a "rotate bullets" option, can try that. Or in the code can try
    - fire bullet Player.X(PlayerDirection)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im taking a break for today anyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    YEa gotta after a while, looking at code for long periods will bug your eyes.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool tho, I'm proud of you going back to it, not giving up. It is difficult at first to learn, but fun once you get the hang of it. I think I've watched every tutorial video there is, but I still struggle sometimes to get stuff to work right. But gotta keep trying dif things, and eventually you will get it right.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol McDonald's has a grandma mcflurry
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, furry grandma?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It sounds good actually, I like butterscotch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It sucked don't know wtf these little bits and pieces are they use now
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I live maybe 3 minutes from a Dairy Queen, so I would just go there for ice cream anything anyways. I usually get the Oreo Blizzard, or a Peanut Buster Parfait.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats a dairy queen?
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: whats a dairy queen?