GBA SP Front Light Panel Fixing

gallardworth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Greetings, lately I damaged my GBA SP AGS-001's front light panel acrylic. It has a very thin film on it with tiny stripes in order to guide the light on the panel which is given from the bottom edge of the panel. Thus, I started searching any knowledge to fix or reproduce the film or panel. Because, due to damage (scratches) on the film, regional shadows appeared on the screen, which gives you headache while playing.

Anybody has knowledge to fix it will be much appreciated. If there are people having an AGS-001 screen to spare, of course, I will be more happy. In Turkey, I couldn't find any screen to change it, or panels to fix it. I will be waiting to hear of your ideas.

In addition, I have a 3" screen which has backlit system, however, it has 24 pins to connect the board while GBA SP has 34 pins screen connector. Therefore, I couldn't do anything about it. I came up with an idea creating an adaptor which converts 24 pin to 34 pin, but I don't have any knowledge which pins go to where or what is it for. If anyone happens to be experienced about this topic, please hit me with your ideas.

Thanks in advance.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you are going to go to the effort of creating an adapter then I would sooner look into 101 screen replacements. Those are well established, have things in stock in a lot of places (so much so I am not surprised people don't carry 001s any more as nobody really wants them*).

*not to mention I don't think we ever saw a good source of other factory seconds, ghost shift, straight clones or similar. To that end most replacements you find will likely have been from when nobody wanted them and you could pick them up for £5 a pop, and broken ones for less. You usually get a few electrical engineering students or whatever realise something is worth more as parts than it is a whole setup and thus the handful of things on the market.

Reactions: gallardworth

gallardworth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
First of all, thank you for your reply. In Turkey, there is no market for this products. If one has, they sell their AGS-001s' for 400-500 TL which equals to 35-40 USD. No need to mention AGS-101 prices, also there are clone ones that have brighter IPS backlit screen on it, they might have changed the shell and the sticker on back and then pretend it to be AGS-101. Therefore, its a bit expensive to give it a try to take one and use for spare parts.

Recently, I realised that the screen of GBA (AGB-001) and AGS-001 has the same specifications and there are mods for AGB-001 to add a frontlit systems on it. It is very much likely that they are the same front light panel with GBA SP's. So, I bought one to try on my SP. If it fits, I will inform you as well.

On the other hand, I will try soldering work with my backlit screen to my GBA's board. I will check the schemes for AGS-101 and IPS v2 screens. Hopefully, they are similar at many points. Maybe, it works out. Thanks.

Last edited by gallardworth,

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
If you are going to go to the effort of creating an adapter then I would sooner look into 101 screen replacements. Those are well established, have things in stock in a lot of places (so much so I am not surprised people don't carry 001s any more as nobody really wants them*).

*not to mention I don't think we ever saw a good source of other factory seconds, ghost shift, straight clones or similar. To that end most replacements you find will likely have been from when nobody wanted them and you could pick them up for £5 a pop, and broken ones for less. You usually get a few electrical engineering students or whatever realise something is worth more as parts than it is a whole setup and thus the handful of things on the market.
You can't just replace a 001 screen with a 101 screen. The 001 motherboard can't power the 101 screen by default. You need to install an additional voltage regulator.

An AGB-001 display will NOT work either!

OP if you want I recommend just replacing it with one of the IPS screens from Funnyplaying. https://funnyplaying.com/products/gbasp-ips-laminated-display-lcd-kits

They're readily available, proven, and easy to install - either a one wire solder (for brightness control) or no soldering (no brightness control).

Reactions: gallardworth

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
@coolbho3000 Thank you for your information. I didn't know this website. It's much easier and cheaper than Aliexpress. It's 570 TL equivalent tho.
It is also the official website for Funnyplaying so you know you're getting the original design. They also only source the LG versions of the IPS displays and not the inferior Toppoly clone.

I've ordered from them a lot of times.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +2