Hacking Gateway or Sky3ds?

survive9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about getting either a sky3ds or a gateway for Christmas. I realize that Gateway doesnt support the latest firmware that Nintendo has recently pushed (9.40-21) and sky3ds does. I am pretty sure that gateway will update to the latest version soon. The thing that worries me is this: should I get a sky3ds because gateway has malicious code that can brick my system permanently, or get a gateway because it has more options such as homebrew and region free capabilities?

Phantom_User

Phantom of Page 666
Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking about getting either a sky3ds or a gateway for Christmas. I realize that Gateway doesnt support the latest firmware that Nintendo has recently pushed (9.40-21) and sky3ds does. I am pretty sure that gateway will update to the latest version soon. The thing that worries me is this: should I get a sky3ds because gateway has malicious code that can brick my system permanently, or get a gateway because it has more options such as homebrew and region free capabilities?

Gateway, most definitly. It is unknown if in later firmware versions the malicious code is still present. Heck, it might not even be at all in the Firmware support for 9.x

The features alone make it the product to stand by for.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We know GW can be blocked, we aren't sure if Nintendo is able to block the Sky3ds (depends on how it fakes being a real card). So with GW you rely on them to always be able to make a new version emunand (I'm not sure exactly how they do that, so I don't know if they will be able to do it forever). Sky3ds might be blockable, nobody knows. With both you can just stay on the latest usable firmware, but it looks like GW maxes out at 9.20 for now, but until they actually release the 9.2 exploit nobody really knows.

GW has extra capabilities, like CIAs and homebrew, but you have to launch the exploit every time you power down.

Sky3ds doesn't require an exploit, just plug it in any play. It can take a while to cycle through games (Idk if the card remembers the last game you've played if you power down the 3ds, maybe someone else can verify). Sky can't do anything but play roms. Ninty has pushed a few updates since Sky's release and they haven't blocked it yet. Maybe the can, maybe they can't, but I'd bet that Nintendo can't do much about it because they have always been very quick to squash exploits.

Depends on what you want. Plug-and-play solution but only roms, or opening an exploit and relying on emunand for extra capabilities like cias?

D

Deleted User

We know GW can be blocked, we aren't sure if Nintendo is able to block the Sky3ds (depends on how it fakes being a real card). So with GW you rely on them to always be able to make a new version emunand (I'm not sure exactly how they do that, so I don't know if they will be able to do it forever). Sky3ds might be blockable, nobody knows. With both you can just stay on the latest usable firmware, but it looks like GW maxes out at 9.20 for now, but until they actually release the 9.2 exploit nobody really knows.

GW has extra capabilities, like CIAs and homebrew, but you have to launch the exploit every time you power down.

Sky3ds doesn't require an exploit, just plug it in any play. It can take a while to cycle through games (Idk if the card remembers the last game you've played if you power down the 3ds, maybe someone else can verify). Sky can't do anything but play roms. Ninty has pushed a few updates since Sky's release and they haven't blocked it yet. Maybe the can, maybe they can't, but I'd bet that Nintendo can't do much about it because they have always been very quick to squash exploits.

Depends on what you want. Plug-and-play solution but only roms, or opening an exploit and relying on emunand for extra capabilities like cias?

We know Sky3ds can be blocked. Devs from #3dsdev have confirmed it.

survive9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the info on the two. Even though the exploit everytime you power down is a minor inconvenience, it is still worth it. I just dont want to go out and get a new 2ds because it got bricked.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I'd believe it can be blocked until it is. I mean, I'm not saying it can't be blocked, but there are so many people who hate Sky3ds that there is a superfluous amount of bullshit being said about it. The way some people act (even those in a respected position in the community) you'd think Sky3ds raped their mom and made them watch.

I don't really believe much of what I read, so I'm not going to say I can know anything in any regard or capacity.

ninja post edit:

Rumor has it that 9.4 blocks Sky3ds. If you have patience, Gateway is the way to go. Cheaper and more features.

I've read rumors that it doesn't block it in 9.4. Isn't the internet fantastic?

survive9

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok since I am most likely going to get a Gateway, what reseller should I get it from? I just dont want to get scammed.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tumblr_m5kbumtPpi1r777xho1_500.gif

Reactions: Phantom_User

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok since I am most likely going to get a Gateway, what reseller should I get it from? I just dont want to get scammed.

Well it's simple, if you're on 9.0-9.2 go with GW - don't even think about it. If you're on 9.4 I'm afraid you will have to go for Sky3ds for now... Both are fine cards but only one of them is really future proof and that's GW with its emunand feature. Yeahgeek.com is a great reseller, even though it's not an official one it offers fast shipping at a low price.

AmeenX

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Algeria
Sky3DS:
+ Good card for one game at a time.
+ no FW restriction up to this day.
- 10 games limite (fu..g first batch of customers is not right)
- How long will it last?

Gateway:
+ Tones of features (Emunand,CIA..and what not)
+ firmware extensive support
- FW limitation (despite the fact that emunand compensate that, not anybody has a 4.5 or a 9.2 3DS)
- minimal communication skills

D

Deleted-355425

Sky3DS:
+ Good card for one game at a time.
+ no FW restriction up to this day.
- 10 games limite (fu..g first batch of customers is not right)
- How long will it last?

Gateway:
+ Tones of features (Emunand,CIA..and what not)
+ firmware extensive support
- FW limitation (despite the fact that emunand compensate that, not anybody has a 4.5 or a 9.2 3DS)
- minimal communication skills

this post is so full of stupid its unreal.

Reactions: Glisern and Ra1d

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit