Gary Bowser, of Team Xecuter infamy, has been released from jail

hadsujkjjkjkjkjkjkjj.png

The latest update to the ongoing Gary Bowser situation is a rather major one. After being extradited and arrested, the Team Xecuter member was slapped with a $10 million dollar fine, and then taken to trial, where he was sentenced to over 3 years in prison. Bowser, also known online as GaryOPA, was set to serve his 40-month sentence in a US federal prison, but he and his lawyer argued for an early release. As of March 28th, Bowser has indeed been released from prison, though he is still at a detention facility, where he is awaiting transport back to Canada.

A video interview with Bowser offers some insight as to his experiences, including the fact that he has had no contact with any of the other TX members who have evaded capture. Despite having to pay a $10 million fine as a result of a civil suit, on top of another $4.5 million fine for circumventing devices illegally, Bowser has worked while in prison, earning enough to pay $175.00 of that 14,500,000.00 total. As a consequence, any job that Bowser gets after getting back to Canada will garnish his wages and send them to Nintendo, to the tune of about a third of his income, likely for the rest of his life.

:arrow: Source

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL. Like he would stay in Canada. Who are they fooling? They won't see another dime of his money :rofl2:
you really think so?
If i was that rich and a corpo wanted my money, I would indeed hide, but i would also send them my bank account balance, as in no money. just the data, to tell them "hey, look how much money I have :D try to come and get it :rofl2: "

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you really think so?
If i was that rich and a corpo wanted my money, I would indeed hide, but i would also send them my bank account balance, as in no money. just the data, to tell them "hey, look how much money I have :D try to come and get it :rofl2: "

On that guys channel you can listen to his previous calls with Gary-- he said he's going to go back to his life in another country as soon as he gets his money sorted after release (not US/Canada).

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They know, they don't really care. Its about setting an example
The example:

Get rich by selling gray market mods
Get sued by company
Go to jail for an undetermined amount of time
Get out on good behavior
Take the money you stored separately and move to another country
???
Profit

There seemingly is no example to set here. Pirates gonna pirate. Gray markets will continue to provide means to pirate. It’s the worlds worst game of legal tag.

Reactions: Khalyus

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The latest update to the ongoing Gary Bowser situation is a rather major one. After being extradited and arrested, the Team Xecuter member was slapped with a $10 million dollar fine, and then taken to trial, where he was sentenced to over 3 years in prison. Bowser, also known online as GaryOPA, was set to serve his 40-month sentence in a US federal prison, but he and his lawyer argued for an early release. As of March 28th, Bowser has indeed been released from prison, though he is still at a detention facility, where he is awaiting transport back to Canada.

A video interview with Bowser offers some insight as to his experiences, including the fact that he has had no contact with any of the other TX members who have evaded capture. Despite having to pay a $10 million fine as a result of a civil suit, on top of another $4.5 million fine for circumventing devices illegally, Bowser has worked while in prison, earning enough to pay $175.00 of that 14,500,000.00 total. As a consequence, any job that Bowser gets after getting back to Canada will garnish his wages and send them to Nintendo, to the tune of about a third of his income, likely for the rest of his life.

:arrow: Source
So he is released from prison, but for the rest of his life a good 25-30% of his income is going to Nintendo.

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
If there ever is a reason to detest nintendo. There's a trillion reasons.

Yeah he came out with SX OS. It made the switch hardware sales skyrocket in territories people would not be able to game on nintendo consoles. India, Middle east, a lot of other regions.

It also means people will buy more original nintendo carts as some people in India do. They have two consoles. One for authentic stuff and one for JB.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Helping people gain access to homebrew is one thing. However when you specifically sell a product for profit that is advertised around piracy. I can't say I'm exactly shocked or sorry that he was locked up. I mod my consoles for homebrew not for piracy (Unless you cannot buy the product anymore that is).

Last edited by Ryab,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there ever is a reason to detest nintendo. There's a trillion reasons.

Yeah he came out with SX OS. It made the switch hardware sales skyrocket in territories people would not be able to game on nintendo consoles. India, Middle east, a lot of other regions.

It also means people will buy more original nintendo carts as some people in India do. They have two consoles. One for authentic stuff and one for JB.
They definitely do not net gain from piracy, the consoles aren't sold at a massive profit by any means and personally I haven't bought any ninty games in nearly 5 years (taps hacked switch)

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They definitely do not net gain from piracy, the consoles aren't sold at a massive profit by any means and personally I haven't bought any ninty games in nearly 5 years (taps hacked switch)
I would fight the allegations of the Switch not turning a profit. It's not a state of the art device with new technology. Not even on release.
It basically is a big phone with features removed and crappy gamepads taped in.
Heck, Nintendo is making a killing with console sales, I'd bet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof