Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
When I push an update to github, the build on dropbox is (usually) updated too. It's the third link in the first post and it has the fix.
I guess I wasn't very clear when I described the problem: by external ram I mean sram. Gameboy games can have a maximum of 4 "banks" of sram. Pokemon Crystal has 4 banks, while SML2 has 1. What I assume happened, is that Pokemon Crystal had, say, bank 3 loaded when you exited and opened SML2. The initialization routines should reset this number to zero, but they didn't. So SML2 tried to access memory that it didn't have.
I see. The external SRAM is not the same one that's used for the save data, is it? So it's all about cleaning up/reinitializing different banks of external SRAM between games?
Thank you! I'll check it out right away!

PS: Nother bug: Mr. Do! crasheshangs after the title screen.

PPS: Indeed the SML2 crash is fixed now.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I see. The external SRAM is not the same one that's used for the save data, is it? So it's all about cleaning up/reinitializing different banks of external SRAM between games?
Thank you! I'll check it out right away!

PS: Nother bug: Mr. Do! crashes after the title screen.

SRAM is what's used for save data. SRAM is just ram that's stored on the cartridge (that's why I called it external ram), and is usually battery backed. If it's battery backed then it can be used for save data. Some games also use it as general-purpose RAM. And yes, the problem was with initializing the sram banks properly.

soulrazor

Trophies
XP
Country
MGS is pulling some weird shenanigans... it jumps to an address using the contents of the wram bank register as one of its bytes. I think it's an oversight, actually. MGS, I am disappoint. Oh well... it's fixed in the new build :).

A big thank you drenn already playing past that bug part :D

Canadacdn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Update on that weird sound and button bug I've been experiencing . It seems this can be reproduced by setting scaling to full, enabling the debug console, saving settings and restarting the emulator. Launch Mario 2 and the bug will happen every time.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pokémon Yellow has a perfect Pikachu cry under default settings, as well as colors and an SGB border, and I can scale it too if I want! :O (though I don't want to, because text) AND IT AUTOSAVES IF I SET IT TO!

0.4.1 = <3, enough said.

Thanks for all the memories!

It's been my pleasure :)
Is there any way of changing classic GB color tint to green without using the GBC BIOS?

No, not yet.
Update on that weird sound and button bug I've been experiencing . It seems this can be reproduced by setting scaling to full, enabling the debug console, saving settings and restarting the emulator. Launch Mario 2 and the bug will happen every time.

Unfortunately I can't reproduce this. What system are you using? (ds / dsi / 3ds etc) And this only occurs when scaling? In that case you won't be able to see the debug output for that special build I gave you.

NTA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the amount of save states allowed limited? I was saving at one point and then thought I messed up something because it said there was no save state loaded. I probably wouldn't have minded except I didn't have access to a computer to delete my save states.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is the amount of save states allowed limited? I was saving at one point and then thought I messed up something because it said there was no save state loaded. I probably wouldn't have minded except I didn't have access to a computer to delete my save states.

I'm not sure what you mean. You can't currently delete save states, but you can save over them.
New question. Colors aside, does the GBC BIOS improve emulation accuracy or impact performance in any way?

No, it doesn't have any effect after the game has booted.
I'm using a 3ds xl, and yes, it only seems to happen when starting the emulator with full scaling.

I've encountered a similar problem, which occurs when putting the ds in sleep mode when scaling is enabled. It's probably related.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can finally confirm that Oracle of Seasons is playable to its ending with perfect quality, with a save file that came from Lameboy and was passed along different versions of GameYob since 0.2. GBC on GBA worked flawlessly, the game never lagged, sound was good, graphics perfect, not a single crash.

Reactions: Rydian

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean when I'm starting a new game. I saved a state and when I loaded it, there was nothing to load

Well, I dunno why that would be. Of course you have to make sure you're saving and loading with the same state slot. But does this happen every time?
I can finally confirm that Oracle of Seasons is playable to its ending with perfect quality, with a save file that came from Lameboy and was passed along different versions of GameYob since 0.2. GBC on GBA worked flawlessly, the game never lagged, sound was good, graphics perfect, not a single crash.

Yup, I've also played through Seasons and I'm doing linked Ages now. I pretty much always play these games when I have a new method of doing so - I played them both in Lameboy, too, back before GameYob was conceived. In 0.4.1 there's a graphical glitch in the intro, just before Link falls through the portal thing. But it's been fixed since then, and I don't even know how :)

Reactions: MarkDarkness

NTA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I dunno why that would be. Of course you have to make sure you're saving and loading with the same state slot. But does this happen every time?
I mean that's why I was asking if there was a limit on the total number of savestates allowed. I had saved up quite a bit from about 3 games and a blank save state wouldn't save correctly until after I deleted a used saved stat

joeyjoey396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if somebody asked this (or it's implemented, and I'm just being more idiotic than usual) but can you add it so you can go back to the DSTWO's menu? There's a reset2desktop.nds in the dstwo folder to go back to the plugin menu. Thanks!

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
On that note, I think a cure-all for soft resetting out of the emulator would be to be able to specify the flashcart kernel boot file in the .ini. When the quit option is used, the emulator should just run the boot file. That way, everyone can customize the restart to their own likes. Perhaps some don't even want to restart to the kernel and want to boot moonshell instead.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I mean that's why I was asking if there was a limit on the total number of savestates allowed. I had saved up quite a bit from about 3 games and a blank save state wouldn't save correctly until after I deleted a used saved stat

you have 10 seperate quick save states for every game, so you can start 10 games and save in slot 0 for all of them and then load all of them without a problem. they're all saved under different names, like Game1.sav0, Game1.sav1, Game2.sav0, Game2.sav1 etc. so every game you start gives you 10 blank states. if gameyob isnt able to overwrite a state like, if you cant save in state 0 several times in a row, then theres something wrong, probably with your flashcard or sd card.

On a very old flash card, i once had similar problems cause it would sometimes bug when it was writing new files to its memory. so eventually i had to manually add empty save files for all the games i had so it wouldn't have to create them anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh