Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's would be the best option. Will it be made?:ninja:
Anyway, xxx.frontend2assoc.nds is a good solution for abandoned homebrew IMHO meantime.

Here it is: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lactlib/files/nds/frontend2assoc.7z

Write /__rpg/associations.ini as mentioned in http://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-a-gameboy-emulator-for-ds.343407/page-16#post-4588074
Then put frontend2assoc.nds as gbc.frontend2assoc.nds or configure iMenu to call it.
frontend2assoc.nds supports extlink.dat/plgargs.dat/loadfile.dat formats.

By the way, this is just a subset of xenofile, which can understand both associations.ini and extlink...

Soft Reset:
DragonQuest3 OK PokemonCrystal Guru StarOceanBlueSphere Guru

Reactions: Boriar

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country
Here it is: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lactlib/files/nds/frontend2assoc.7z

Write /__rpg/associations.ini as mentioned in http://gbatemp.net/threads/gameyob-a-gameboy-emulator-for-ds.343407/page-16#post-4588074
Then put frontend2assoc.nds as gbc.frontend2assoc.nds or configure iMenu to call it.
frontend2assoc.nds supports extlink.dat/plgargs.dat/loadfile.dat formats.

By the way, this is just a subset of xenofile, which can understand both associations.ini and extlink...

Soft Reset:
DragonQuest3 OK PokemonCrystal Guru StarOceanBlueSphere Guru

Many thanks for that little tool for easy MS2-modern menu integration. :bow:

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good news everyone! After some more optimizing I finally seem to have beaten Lameboy in terms of speed. Frolicking around the fields in Shantae, speed would hover from 56-60 FPS, depending on how many objects are on the screen. Which is better than lameboy by at least 5 or 6 FPS!

Drenn, maybe you can add rumble support in one of next versions of gameyob?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_Pak#Game_Boy_Color_games_with_built-in_rumble
I'll put it on my list. I don't currently own rumble hardware though.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good news everyone! After some more optimizing I finally seem to have beaten Lameboy in terms of speed. Frolicking around the fields in Shantae, speed would hover from 56-60 FPS, depending on how many objects are on the screen. Which is better than lameboy by at least 5 or 6 FPS!

I'll put it on my list. I don't currently own rumble hardware though.
I own some rumble hardware, but I'll have to test if it still works.
It's an EZ Flash 3in1, I can't seem to get it to register any more though.

Anyhow actually I tried out Shantae and it's running suppose, it's so close to full speed I can't really notice the slow-down!
There issues popped up though.
First was that Shantae herself on the File Select screen had minor graphical glitches during the screen transition in, just a few tiles looking off.
Second was that music started to play incorrectly during the boss battle, the first one on Risky's pirate ship after the burning town stage.

Other than that it handled great, it even took care of the intro stage's colour changes no problem, kudos!

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Siiiiick, how far down the to-do list is image scaling? I'm throwing Lameboy away completely the second that gets done.

tiezi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lufia - The Legend Returns,Azure Dreams=not work white screen
God Medicine: Fantasy Sekai no Tanjou 30-36 = fps

Deleted member 319809

MAH BOI/GURL
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm... I stopped getting alerts about this thread for some reason, even though I'm watching it. Oh well...

Beating Lameboy in speed? Now that's a good optimisation, rivalling my first set ^_^ Who would have thought that a const u8[] for opcode cycles could slow things down so much, huh?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm... I stopped getting alerts about this thread for some reason, even though I'm watching it. Oh well...

Beating Lameboy in speed? Now that's a good optimisation, rivalling my first set ^_^ Who would have thought that a const u8[] for opcode cycles could slow things down so much, huh?
Removing the op cycles arrays wasn't the main factor. That might have saved me half an fps. The real trick with Shantae was to check for repetitive writes to vram to avoid redrawing the same tile over and over, that saved at least 4 FPS. But only for that game. Then my optimizations to interrupt handling and pc reads also saved another 4 or 5 FPS in total.
I've noticed that Alleyway and Super Mario Land (v1.0) & (v1.1) come up with a 'guru meditation' error on the R4DS (via Wood), but with R4DS SDHC Upgrade they work fine. :/
It's probably about pickiness for out-of-bounds memory access... I just tried fixing this, let me know if it still crashes or not.
Siiiiick, how far down the to-do list is image scaling? I'm throwing Lameboy away completely the second that gets done.
This will come with the new, more accurate graphics engine. It's probably going to be slower, so it won't be in the next official release.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, ok then.

Anyway... both games, Alleyway (JUE) [!].gb & Super Mario Land (JUE) (v1.1) [!].gb still give 'guru meditiation' errors when using R4DS (via WoodR4). I haven't tried v1.0, but it most probabally does the same.

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, ok then.

Anyway... both games, Alleyway (JUE) [!].gb & Super Mario Land (JUE) (v1.1) [!].gb still give 'guru meditiation' errors when using R4DS (via WoodR4). I haven't tried v1.0, but it most probabally does the same.
Can you tell me the value of "pc" in the guru errors?

xdpirate

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just spent an hour or so reading through this entire thread. The speed at which you're updating this piece of software is simply outstanding, keep up the good work! I haven't yet had the chance to test the emulator, but reading through the thread has made be a believer.

Drenn: About the nifi-issue where packets are being dropped by your DSi: Could this be a problem with your actual hardware? I think I read that it didn't happen as frequently with your DS/L, maybe your DSi's wifi chipperonis are failing? I only have one DS myself so can't really test it.

GBC IR over nifi would be swell though, Pokemon Crystal Mystery Gifts, anyone? ^_^

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have mid-frame palette changes sort-of-working now. The Harry Potter games and Cannon Fodder look much better, though not perfect. Donkey Kong Country's titlescreen and Rayman (in-game) both look fine now.
Alleyway & Super Mario Land share the same addresses.

pc: 01000E48 addr: 00001FFF

Edit: if you need any other data, just ask.
Okay, fail on my part. It should actually be working now.
Just spent an hour or so reading through this entire thread. The speed at which you're updating this piece of software is simply outstanding, keep up the good work! I haven't yet had the chance to test the emulator, but reading through the thread has made be a believer.

Drenn: About the nifi-issue where packets are being dropped by your DSi: Could this be a problem with your actual hardware? I think I read that it didn't happen as frequently with your DS/L, maybe your DSi's wifi chipperonis are failing? I only have one DS myself so can't really test it.

GBC IR over nifi would be swell though, Pokemon Crystal Mystery Gifts, anyone? ^_^
There's clearly something different about my dsi, nifi-wise. I'll see if I can borrow another regular ds to test it. IR shouldn't be too difficult to do, in theory, since it's wireless communication. I didn't really feel like doing it since so few games use it, but I will try it at some point.

jose_exe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great work! This is already on par with Lameboy!

On the roms i've been trying [Beatmania GB, GB2 and gotta mix versions] has sound glitches [sustained tones, high pitched squeeks]
Also there is graphics issues with X ekkusu
[The tunnel scene its in black when it's suppose to be white]
and another one with PopnMusic Animated Melody
[when you are playing a song the background is black but is supposed to be blue]

Don't know if been asked before, but are you planning to implement an ini file for save settings?

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can now confirm that both games (Alleyway & Super Mario Land) are now actually working with R4DS & 'hopefully' for other flashcards, as well.

Thank you Drenn. :)

Edit: Settings are saved as 'gameyob.ini' at the root of the MicroSD Card.

If this file is either moved or deleted, the default settings will be used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P