Gamers start campaign to end Wii U/3DS region locking.

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 17,061
  • Replies 186
  • Likes 15

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
How funny that gamers start acting NOW when Nintendo has had region locking since their very first console.

For home consoles, yes,
but for handhelds it's the first time.
Aside that, the reasons for region-lock are gone.

Region lock was a way to avoid people with PAL consoles used NTSC games and vice-versa,
now with the standarized HD definitions, the problem is gone.

On handhelds, this isn't a problem, that's why there wasn't a handheld system with region-lock

Nintendo is creating excuses out of nowhere to stick with it on consoles, and even worse doing it on handhelds.
I wonder if Nintendo executives still live on 20th century, they have some restrictions that falled long ago for the concurrents.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why not partition the memory? Like how you have to make a partition when using external memory for the Xbox 360 when you want to put game, demo or save data on. Then that partitioned memory becomes incompatible and unreadable with other devices.

You don't have to make a partition when using external memory on 360. You can do it that way, and its the default, but you can also choose custom and have it instead make it as files on an existing FAT32 partition. You can't just read it (though there is software out that lets you do so) but you can certainly copy it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What doesn't make sense is why the GB, GBC, GBA, DS were all region free while the Wii, Gamecube were not. Surely, making handhelds region free would adversely affect pricing differences from region to region as they would for consoles.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What doesn't make sense is why the GB, GBC, GBA, DS were all region free while the Wii, Gamecube were not. Surely, making handhelds region free would adversely affect pricing differences from region to region as they would for consoles.

All Niuntendo home consoles were not region-free. As for the handhelds, this started with the 3DS.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All Niuntendo home consoles were not region-free. As for the handhelds, this started with the 3DS.

I just need someone to explain the logic behind the handhelds in the past being region free, but not the consoles. That's what I'm not understanding; why should handhelds prior to the 3DS be region free if consoles aren't?

GB to NDS = Region free

NES to Wii U = not region free

Logic does not exist in implementing this measure in consoles but doesn't make sense that it's not in handhelds.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Handhelds didn't have to deal with PAL and NTSC televisions. Nowadays, with TVs supporting both format, there's no excuse for a home console to have such a thing. And there's even less of a reason to have that for the 3DS, besides MUH MONEY even if in the end, the cash goes to Nintendo, no matter what.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Handhelds didn't have to deal with PAL and NTSC televisions. Nowadays, with TVs supporting both format, there's no excuse for a home console to have such a thing. And there's even less of a reason to have that for the 3DS, besides MUH MONEY even if in the end, the cash goes to Nintendo, no matter what.

The NDS still sold phenomenally well despite being region free, and since PAL TVs support NTSC, there should be no reason for locking.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The NDS still sold phenomenally well despite being region free, and since PAL TVs support NTSC, there should be no reason for locking.

Definitively. But as I said, it's a matter of money, they want to have it in their pockets the fastest way possible, even if that means keeping people from having region-exclusive games. I'm glad the DS isn't region-locked because Europe missed on tons of good games compared to the US.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is what happens in a country with good services like Belgium, UK, USA,
but in many countries, including mine, services suck.

Twitter became a great place for consumers to claim their rights,
it works much better than Procon, which is a federal entity specialized for consumer rights.
Good point. I've got to admit I'm only familiar with practices in my own country. I haven't been to Brazil, so I can't comment on the situation there.

I guess I accidentally assumed my own situation was worldwide. Sorry about that. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, That's when Victor invented the Rusty Trombone!