First-party Xbox Scorpio games will run at native 4K resolution

Xbox_2012_logo.png

Microsoft Studio's publishing general manager, Shannon Loftis, has made an announcement that all Microsoft-developed games for the upcoming codename Xbox Scorpio will run at a native 4K resolution.

"Any games we're [Microsoft] making that we're launching in the Scorpio time frame, we're making sure they can natively render at 4K."

This news comes off the tailwind of the PS4 Pro reveal, where Sony's upcoming "4K Ready" console is set to release this November, and be able to play games in upscaled 4K resolution, though a small few games will indeed run at native 4K. The following quote comes from SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America) president, Andrew House.

"I would say the majority [of PS4 Pro games] will be upscaled. Based on the game portfolio I have seen to date."

The Xbox Project Scorpio is slated to release sometime during the Holiday season of 2017.

:arrow: Source: Full Interview

DHall243

I Stay Broke Because I Keep Buying 3DS's To A9LH
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox team has already confirmed once before that the XBOX one dashboard is built from Windows 10 and supports DirectX 12, they thought DX12 was gonna be a game changer, when most people couldnt get their programs to work.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If we're walking back to the PS3 era, then sure, that's a unique architecture. Modern consoles do have their own OSes with their own overhead, though, which is what allows you to multitask and run apps in the background while playing games. Xbox One is using DX11-DX12 just as a PC would. Current-gen consoles are barely one step away from being PCs themselves. Microsoft and Sony talk about 4K HDR like it's some miraculous new discovery but Nvidia already did that with the Shield TV and it's like 1/4th the size of Sony and MS' consoles. Not to mention about half the price.
The PS3's architecture is only unique because of the SPE's, the main core which did all the heavy lifting, the PPE, was a PowerPC derivative and few companies other than Naughty Dog utilised SPE's efficiently. The CELL is unique because it's custom-built, that's about it. If you think that Sony made a custom OS from the ground up for that system, you're deluding yourself - the PS3 used modified FreeBSD, so a flavour of UNIX. The days when consoles would run fully proprietary software are over, there are too many library dependencies to worry about. Running the Windows kernel on the Xbox One or the FreeBSD kernel on the PS3/4/Vita allows for simple engine porting, which is a prerequisite for multiplatform development. As for HDR, I have no opinion on it as I'm not a colour depth freak - I can barely see the difference.

Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The CELL is unique because it's custom-built, that's about it.
Exactly, so where you'd get a "comparable" PC I have no idea, I'm not even sure which components could be considered comparable to the PS3.

If you think that Sony made a custom OS
I don't think that, I'm just saying that even last-gen consoles DID have OSes, and with an OS always comes some overhead. Possible that it's less overhead than what a PC OS comes with, but doubtful that it makes a significant difference in performance. 5% on the high end would be my guess. Whereas you can of course get anywhere from 5% to 10% performance increases with overclocking, all depending on the individual GPU.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Exactly, so where you'd get a "comparable" PC I have no idea, I'm not even sure which components could be considered comparable to the PS3.

I don't think that, I'm just saying that even last-gen consoles DID have OSes, and with an OS always comes some overhead. Possible that it's less overhead than what a PC OS comes with, but doubtful that it makes a significant difference in performance. 5% on the high end would be my guess. Whereas you can of course get anywhere from 5% to 10% performance increases with overclocking, all depending on the individual GPU.
Any CPU with comparable computational power would work as an equivalent. As for the overhead, it's actually huge - the MinWin (Minimal Windows) kernel runs with only 40MB of memory, the whole installation requires about 1GB idling, let alone operating - that should tell you everything you need to know. Just the shell alone is a big resource hog since it's accelerated these days, and that she'll is simplified to just tiles on the XBO. Anywho, we're unnecessarily taking over the thread, my point is that consoles require less overhead and use limited resources more efficiently as a general rule, and I don't think that's debatable in any way. I am fully confident that the Scorpio will be able to run in 4K at 25-30FPS and moderate level of detail, and that's all anyone could really ask for from a console. It's also sufficient for VR at 2x1080p at 50-60FPS for that matter, which is also acceptable. That's my opinion though, not gospel, so don't treat it as such.

Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I am fully confident that the Scorpio will be able to run in 4K at 25-30FPS and moderate level of detail, and that's all anyone could really ask for from a console.
All that's really necessary for a console is 1080p@60, and running at max settings would be a nice bonus. I just can't believe Sony/MS didn't manage to achieve that with their first iterations of these consoles. That makes the second iteration somewhat of a necessary upgrade, and that's a pain in the ass for anyone who bought the first.

It's also sufficient for VR at 2x1080p at 50-60FPS for that matter, which is also acceptable.
I wonder if MS will be partnering with Vive/Rift or if they'll be making their own VR hardware to compete with Sony. Re-projection isn't too bad, but it will cause more motion sickness than running at 90 FPS without it.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-