Hardware firmware that new consoles have?

marksteele

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I'm considering picking up a PS3 but I'm worried about what firmware new ones ship with. Haven't been able to find a decent answer so I was wondering what the odds are that they come with one below 3.55 or if I shouldn't take the chance and just grab one off ebay.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I bought my PS3 in early 2011 and it was already on 3.56. All consoles out later than that (roughly spring-summer 2011) probably have 3.56+ on them. Mine is a 160 Gb PS3 Slim. If you want an older firmware, you're most likely to score one with the PS3 Phat models or (very) old PS3 slims.

To sum it up:
PS3 Phat = probably with 3.55 or lower on launch.
PS3 Slim = older models, pre 2011.
PS3 SuperSlim = no chance.

Edit: Ninja'd by Rydian :3

marksteele

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
gah was hoping that sony was lazy and just shipped with a low firmware ><

ofc im sure that anything running 3.55 is gonna cost more then a new console too lol ><

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
gah was hoping that sony was lazy and just shipped with a low firmware ><

ofc im sure that anything running 3.55 is gonna cost more then a new console too lol ><
Best suggestion here would be to try finding a used console with a small HDD. Those have a high probability of having low FW and you'll be able to update the HDD easily to a 1TB one for quite cheap.

marksteele

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
humm i found a 60GB one for $125 but apparently it tends to freeze when reading bluerays. Assuming I plan on running backups i should be able to make do as long as everything else is working right?

st3v31985

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
to go a 2nd hand game shop see how many ps3 then got ask then to test one and have a look at what its running say your like to know if its on 4.41 or 4.40 or 3.55 or under

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok