Gaming FF4 is Ugly - Thank God Square isn't Revamping Chrono!

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I think that 3D chrono trigger would be bad. Their is too much detail in some parts (ie, sewers, the fair, even the houses).

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ferrariman said:
Personally, I think that 3D chrono trigger would be bad. Their is too much detail in some parts (ie, sewers, the fair, even the houses).

Well if it is FFIV style or similar, then it might work. Majority of FFIV is 2D on a 3D plane. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass used a similar approach (Looked a bit better because of more vibrant colors). Chrono Trigger would work just fine in 3D I think. Most just can't visualize it
tongue.gif

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Scorpin200 said:
IBNobody said:
The remake of FF4 is an ugly game by today's standards. The DS is just not that powerful of a 3D system, and it really shows.

If you play a game for it's graphics your wasting your time with games in general, because alot of games that look good suck and are boring. If that's your thing then sony and microsoft would love to have your money.
A lot of games with good graphics are great fun too. A lot of games that have crap graphics suck and are boring.

This whole graphics vs. gameplay thing is so lame...it can go both ways. Good graphics doesn't always = bad gameplay. average graphics does not always = good gameplay.

This dude doesn't seem like he's trolling although if you're a nintendo fanboy I can see how you'd think that..

luisrodl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well to me is not a matter if it looks good comparing to other system, is if its looks good comparing to the same system. When I see the graphics of FFIV, I see that not many games on the DS can achive that level of detail and that is one of the most better looking 3D DS games there is at the moment. It would be insane to compare to something like Crisis Core for the PSP (cool game by the way). And I think no one will disagree that this games looks a whole lot better than that it did on the SNES/PSX/GBA.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To all of my fellow posters who object to my opinions on FF4's graphics, I'd like for you to consider the following.

What looks better: CT SNES or FF4 DS?

Before you say, "You can't compare the two!", hear me out.

CT SNES, for the most part, was and still is a beautiful 2D game. It's great across the board. FF4 DS is a 3D game that, while knocking the limits of the DS, is ugly when put into the context of other 3D games on other platforms. (And yes, I own other platforms.) When you compare the two, CT SNES, a 13 year old game, looks better!

So... Why would I want to see CT be made into a 3D game for the DS when the 3D DS stuff that Square is capable of producing is inferior to some of their old 2D?

Does that make sense?

- N

And to all of you who want Square to retouch CT's visuals without moving to 3D, I totally support you.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:
Sigh.

Opinions are opinions people. Can we let others have them?
No, because it's a secret conspiracy to go nazi apeshit on your opinions... I thought you knew this.

--

In any case, indeed if you're looking for graphics, take your ass to Microsoft and Sony, that's all they do. What's the PS3 other than a souped up PS1? what's the 360 besides a souped up Xbox? If you want to get technical they're both just souped up Famicons. They haven't changed anything except adding graphics.

QUOTE(IBNobody @ Jul 24 2008, 01:54 AM) To all of my fellow posters who object to my opinions on FF4's graphics, I'd like for you to consider the following.

What looks better: CT SNES or FF4 DS?

Before you say, "You can't compare the two!", hear me out.

CT SNES, for the most part, was and still is a beautiful 2D game. It's great across the board. FF4 DS is a 3D game that, while knocking the limits of the DS, is ugly when put into the context of other 3D games on other platforms. (And yes, I own other platforms.) When you compare the two, CT SNES, a 13 year old game, looks better!

So... Why would I want to see CT be made into a 3D game for the DS when the 3D DS stuff that Square is capable of producing is inferior to some of their old 2D?

Does that make sense?

- N

And to all of you who want Square to retouch CT's visuals without moving to 3D, I totally support you.
The problem is you're being bias to the DS. you're comparing it to other platforms, while the only other recent ones are the PSP (which is made for power not innovation, a la Sony) and consoles which of course have more beef. If you compare it to other 3D NINTENDO DS GAMES, it's pretty good. That Sonic game blows almost all of 'em out of the water though.

Mainly what you're forgetting is that they're great at what they do, and if they decide to go 3D it's cause they can pull it off, and they know it, they don't need YOU to sign off on their changes.

morcar

Trophies
Website
www.tredegarforum.com
XP
Country
total tolling if ever i saw one but even if you were right it has something that most next gen games dont and thats a decent storyline and a game that will last you a good while. Most next gen games dont last me a few days they are far too short.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow... So let me summarize this thread...

>>> "I'm glad SE didn't make CT 3D on the DS because it will look ugly like FF4 DS."

"Don't compare the DS's 3D graphics to other systems!"
"Graphics aren't everything! Story and gameplay are important!"
"Nintendo is an innovator!"
"If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine!"

>>> "But CT already looks good. I'm glad they aren't ruining it by moving it to 3D."

>>> "CT SNES, a 13 year old game looks better than FF4 DS which just came out. Why would making CT 3D on the DS be a good thing?"

>>> "Hello?"

"Don't compare the DS's 3D graphics to other systems!
"If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine! Don't compare the DS's 3D graphics to other systems! Graphics aren't everything! Story and gameplay are important! Nintendo is an innovator! If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine! If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine! Don't compare the DS's 3D graphics to other systems! Graphics aren't everything! Story and gameplay are important! Nintendo is an innovator! If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine! "

::Head explodes::

EDIT: The point of this post was to illustrate that even though I'm bringing up intelligent points, people keep saying the same things which have no real bearing on what I'm saying. Ahhhhh!

"If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine! Don't compare the DS's 3D graphics to other systems! Graphics aren't everything! Story and gameplay are important! Nintendo is an innovator! If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine! If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine! Don't compare the DS's 3D graphics to other systems! Graphics aren't everything! Story and gameplay are important! Nintendo is an innovator! If you want graphics, go buy a Sony or Microsoft machine! "

::Head explodes AGAIN::

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
This guy do have a point.

FF4's graphics is ugly by todays's standard, but not by DS standard

The point is, why bother trying to 3D FFIV should they know the graphics will end up like that?

We have been fed by powerful consoles like PS2 before NDS arrives, that's why our perspective about 3D games has high standards and expectations.

For a 3D game, FFIV is too dull. even fewer objects can be seen in the screen, and the fact that touchscreen is useless akes it much worse.

I think it's wiser to put FFIV in Chrono Trigger's graphics. FFIV's last graphics is still chibi-like. Putting it in Chrono's graphics will improve the graphics a lot. We can't really explore the 3D world, so putting it in 3D won't really make alot of point, unlike GTA, in which the free-roaming aspect is very great and seeing it in first-person view will be fascinating. Putting FFIV in 3D however, won't do us all a favor

If you think about it, FFIV is just like I said, dull, only 3-4 people at max in one screen, and that is usually achived in scenes.

FFIV is not bad in NDS standars, but with 3D booming, it simply doesn't meet some peope's expectations (like me, for instance). Sure, you can play without thinking about the graphics, but hey, we call them video games for a reason, we see it while playing, and for some people, they just can't stand it

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well..
you all do have a point...
I think that the only thing really wrong with it is the voice acting...
That is my opinion and if the nazis come to apeshit it...
I'll be ready with my ORIGINAL FFIV

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Unfortunately, that's what this topic is about: FFIV's graphics, and so your post is utterly useless.

Well, I can count this post as a useless one too, considering it's replying to a useless post
frown.gif

bustyman100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I think that FFIV would have been much easier on the eye if they had gone for the Dragon Quest cell-shaded look. Cell-shading works better for Jap cartoon characters IMO.

As for how the CT characters and world would look like in glorious low-polygon 3D, see Chrono Cross.

At the end of the day, I like good graphics. But I grew up on butt-ugly 3D graphics, so I won't let it get between me and a good game.

Roman_42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dislike the graphics too. I'd prefer it if they'd remake the FF games in FF7-9 style, which means pre-rendered maps and 3D characters. But on the other hand I simply love the game, so I don't really care. But I have to agree with the original poster who is accused of trolling here just because he says that the 1995 PSX like 3D graphics are ugly.

I completely disagree however on the Chrono Trigger part... I'd never play a SNES RPG nowadays. 2D sprites simply aren't alive enough for RPGs IMHO. The crude animations and the non existent faces don't allow any acting and acting is a crucial part in RPGs. A simple sprite which jumps up and down when it's happy/angry/nervous simply isn't good enough for me anymore.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Roman_42 said:
I dislike the graphics too. I'd prefer it if they'd remake the FF games in FF7-9 style, which means pre-rendered maps and 3D characters. But on the other hand I simply love the game, so I don't really care. But I have to agree with the original poster who is accused of trolling here just because he says that the 1995 PSX like 3D graphics are ugly.

I completely disagree however on the Chrono Trigger part... I'd never play a SNES RPG nowadays. 2D sprites simply aren't alive enough for RPGs IMHO. The crude animations and the non existent faces don't allow any acting and acting is a crucial part in RPGs. A simple sprite which jumps up and down when it's happy/angry/nervous simply isn't good enough for me anymore.
that's why a lot of 2D games display a 1/4th screen size face in conversations.

Aznhiga13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the gameplay is good and the game overall is fun then i like the game. Im getting kinda sick of graphic oriented games with crappy gameplay. Nintendo is all about gameplay and i think FF4 does fine in that aspect. It doesnt make much use of the touchscreen, but IMO thats not a bad thing. As for CT, the original game was fun so no matter what the graphics looked like. In the end, its all about gameplay nowadays but sometimes graphics are essential to make it entertaining/fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Catboy back in chat. :ninja:
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Don't forget to pet it for good luck
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That cat bites
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Hmmm yes she does
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Psi had my footlong meatball special +1