Hacking EZFlash IV EZ4: Questions on running games over 32 mbs

dBlueGlitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm considering buying the EZFlash IV EZ4 (is there a better/cheaper one that isn't the supercard?) and I know it can hold up to 32 GBs, but I was wondering if it would have any trouble running games over 32 mbs. Thanks!

D

Deleted-236924

I wouldn't bother with GBA supercard anyway, they really don't run GBA games well.

EZ4 is the best cost:value you can get nowadays. Strictly-speaking the Everdrive is the best GBA card, but it costs near $100 while you can pick up the EZ4 for $25-30

There are no GBA games over 32MB so you shouldn't have to worry about that. The only way a game could exceed 32MB is if you were applying some kind of third-party patch (such as soft-reset/sleephack patches) which can end up making the rom very slightly larger than 32MB, just enough to make it not fit the NOR.
I'm pretty sure I had a way around that but that would have been a long time ago; I don't have any of those roms anymore, and I wouldn't remember what I would have done to make the rom fit into NOR without losing soft reset/sleephack patches (it's also possible I'm really just remembering wrong and I never actually got it to work. I might have ended up having to use the clean rom with nothing but EZ4 patches.)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to be a pedant I do have to mention https://mgba.io/2015/10/20/dumping-the-undumped/ (shrek got some full length films as GBA videos) and some of the really old homebrew pogoshell builders might build things for certain old flash carts above that size, and yeah a hack/patch could push it over but nothing ever supported that.
Nothing anybody really cares about will go there though.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...