Hacking EZF lite ?

other

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can we expect EZ4 NDS compability to increase? I've been told that the EZ3 wasn't particularly good with GBA when it was released, but that it's now one of the best. Will the same happen with the EZ4?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clearly you are unaware of this.

No, I wasn't and I hadn't looked at the code myself as I don't write DS code.

Well, the EZ team could contact him and help out, like NinjaDS seems to have done. Don't blame chishm.

I don't blame Chishm. Yes, the EZFlash team should get a hold of him... And release the code that was missing from the source they released. But how does this change the situation that if Chishm does not add EZ4 support to his FAT lib, homebrew that uses it will still have problems on the EZ4? AGAIN this is NOT something I blame Chishm for, I don't (nor should anyone) expect him to buy every flash cart or go out of his way to wrestle the code he needs out of the makers of said carts, none the less it is the truth of the current situation.

QUOTE(other @ Oct 29 2006, 03:48 PM)Can we expect EZ4 NDS compability to increase? I've been told that the EZ3 wasn't particularly good with GBA when it was released, but that it's now one of the best. Will the same happen with the EZ4?

From where? The EZ3 never had problems w/ GBA that I can recall. The problems were all client related, eg it was unstable, missing promised features, etc, but the games always worked for me once they were on the cart. But then, while I had an EZ3 fairly early on, I didn't get it at day one of release.

Anyway, why the EZ4 continues to have a reputation amongst some as having poor DS compatability is beyond me. While I don't test every scene release, everyone I've tried has either worked straight off or there was a patch w/ in a week. In the begining of the EZ4's life, yes, new releases often meant waiting for an update to the client before, at best, they didn't save to the DS slot or, at worst, didn't work at all. But at this point, the releases that require an update of the EZ4Client to work properly are becoming fewer and farther between. I'd only expect it to continue to improve.

other

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't blame Chishm. Yes, the EZFlash team should get a hold of him... And release the code that was missing from the source they released. But how does this change the situation that if Chishm does not add EZ4 support to his FAT lib, homebrew that uses it will still have problems on the EZ4? AGAIN this is NOT something I blame Chishm for, I don't (nor should anyone) expect him to buy every flash cart or go out of his way to wrestle the code he needs out of the makers of said carts, none the less it is the truth of the current situation.

Chishm said the following about the DS-X (here):
QUOTE said:
If they release drivers, I'll be happy to include them in libfat provided they are correct (ie, they work both on the intended card and don't interfere with other cards).

I'm thinking he would say the same about the EZ4. I just hope the EZ-team releases the drivers.

Anyway, why the EZ4 continues to have a reputation amongst some as having poor DS compatability is beyond me. While I don't test every scene release, everyone I've tried has either worked straight off or there was a patch w/ in a week. In the begining of the EZ4's life, yes, new releases often meant waiting for an update to the client before, at best, they didn't save to the DS slot or, at worst, didn't work at all. But at this point, the releases that require an update of the EZ4Client to work properly are becoming fewer and farther between. I'd only expect it to continue to improve.

I don't know if it's necessarily looked upon as bad, just that it doesn't have as good compability as the competitors. I don't know though. To me it seems like a great choice. The SuperCard has bad/no GBA support, the M3 is expensive, and their loader is crap. I also don't like how the M3 store their saves in their own format. The EZ4 (Deluxe) on the other hand, seems to have great GBA compability, a good loader (from what I've read), very good NDS support and store their saves like a raw .sav-file. Plus it's cheap. Sucks that it doesn't have a spring loaded memory slot though, but whatever.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Would someone be able to list what homebrews actually work (or what they know of) on ez4 (deluxe if the versions have diff compat.)?

i would be grateful

banned4haxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm facing the same problem, not sure which one to get, was going to make a new topic, but I guess I'll just make my post here.

One of my big deals is I want to be able to play GBA games, so apparently from what I've heard here, that takes away SuperCard as an option, correct? So I guess that leaves me with deciding between ez, md3, or g6. How is the md3 and g6, haven't heard much said here about them, I'm not really worried about price, I just want something that has high compatiblity with GBA and DS with no lag, looks and homebrew is just a bonus.

Also, do microsd cards work the same way as the internal memory in the g6? For example, If I buy a 1g sd card, will I only be put 256 mb worth of games on it?

*edit*

Oh, and I have a ds lite, so I'm just interest the carts that fit flush.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, do microsd cards work the same way as the internal memory in the g6? For example, If I buy a 1g sd card, will I only be put 256 mb worth of games on it?

i believe most sd card memory is in magbytes/gigabytes, so unlike the g6 (measured in Gigabits) where converting to megabytes = divide it by 8, you memory is as it is said (minus a bit for formatting)

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I think the EZ4 lite is the most underated cart on the market, and hence the best kept secret. It was a flip up between a G6lite and the EZ4 lite, when I decided to buy and I'm really glad I made the right choice. Every DS game or GBA rom I have ever tried has worked great.

Last week I had 26 Top DS games and 2 full episodes of SouthPark (WOW one and the hot Teacher one! ), plus various MP3's.
wub.gif

That's just with a regular Sandisk 1 gig!

The bonus of of playing GBA games, coupled with it's simple interface (No having to check different options to get a game working) makes it far more versatile than even the new slot one's with fixed memory.

DS-X is nice, the same way the G6 was nice when it first came out, but it's limited memory means it will lose out to the first decent micro-SD cart that hits the market.

Until then I will be playing Final fantasy plus all the other RPG's that came out recently on my beautiful EZ4-lite+EZPass3.
bow.gif

grog.gif

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i believe most sd card memory is in magbytes/gigabytes, so unlike the g6 (measured in Gigabits) where converting to megabytes = divide it by 8, you memory is as it is said (minus a bit for formatting)

Not completely true. While SD's and such are indeed rated in mega/gigabytes they are rated 1000 bytes per KB, 1,000,000 bytes per MB and so on (like harddrives are) instead of the 1024 bytes per KB, 1,048,576 bytes per MB, and so on they should be. The "minus a bit for formatting" is lost more due to this faulty conversion then it is because of space required by a file system and such. And yes, it is deceptive, it is so they sound bigger then they really are, but it is the industry standard way of measuring these things.
dry.gif

Anyway, my 1 GB microSD formats out to around 982 MB's.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
the EZ4 is awesome... I haven't come across much homebrew which doesn't work on it... however, none of the homebrew can save. which brings down homebrew support to very little in my oppinion. You want to save in the homebrew apps. Emulators, games, applications, they all have some save function. Only homebrew I liked which didn't have save was Arcomage DS.

But they haven't shared any homebrew saving support they... However cory1942 seems to have figured out how to save to an existing file. So I think he's on track of something. I'm not sure if EZ4 can create new files.

banned4haxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So EZ-flash lite can't save when your playing on an emulator? Hmm, that might be reason enough for me to want to go for the M3 instead..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The EZ4 can create new files, there is a demo app that can and I have been messing around with cory1492's build of DSOrganise:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=2858&start=0 (kicking around the forums is a copy of picodrive that also works)

As for the SRAM using stuff if you have trouble it seems you can edit the reserved area of the header or Mr cory1492 saves the day (again) with a simple app that does it for you, info and app:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?t=2801&start=0

leland

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some questions for y'all.

I'm debating between the EZ4 deluxe bundle and Supercard Lite bundle...Cost is pretty equivalent between the two.

My intended use is to play DS games and the GBA FF games (plus perhaps a few other GBA classics). I don't care about homebrew. If I want to play with it, the EZ4 will have enough for me to play with.

I was fairly sold on the SC because of the (marginally) better fit, data card placement and the lack of a battery for saves (I don't play my DS often and could see the battery dying).

However, I'm worried about the loader being complicated. Can anyone tell me how it is hard to figure out what options to select when loading games? Also, how hard is the save system is to use compared with the EZ4? The GBA save system seems rough, but the DS pretty good.

Anyway, I don't think I can go wrong unless the Supercard Lite loader is awful.

Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some questions for y'all.

I'm debating between the EZ4 deluxe bundle and Supercard Lite bundle...Cost is pretty equivalent between the two.

My intended use is to play DS games and the GBA FF games (plus perhaps a few other GBA classics). I don't care about homebrew. If I want to play with it, the EZ4 will have enough for me to play with.

I was fairly sold on the SC because of the (marginally) better fit, data card placement and the lack of a battery for saves (I don't play my DS often and could see the battery dying).

However, I'm worried about the loader being complicated. Can anyone tell me how it is hard to figure out what options to select when loading games? Also, how hard is the save system is to use compared with the EZ4? The GBA save system seems rough, but the DS pretty good.

Anyway, I don't think I can go wrong unless the Supercard Lite loader is awful.

Would appreciate your opinions. Thanks.

I don't use the SC, but the EZ software is a breeze. Unless you have a reason to, leave the very few options unchecked and I haven't had a game not work. The only time there was an issue it was resolved with a firmware updated in like, a day.

And honestly, with the new revisions I can't imagine you'd notice the fit being bad. I have the first EZF4, which sticks out quite a bit by comparison, and I don't notice anymore.

As far as the batter is concerned, I haven't had any issues, except that I once or twice accidentally canceled a game save being copied. I no long have that option set. Anyway, if you're really concerned with that, just power cycle the DS after you're done, re-boot through the passcard and let it copy the save over.

drfreeman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for replying.

I have a chance to exchange my NDS Classic w/SC CF for NDS Lite w/EZ-F Lite. I am happy SC user and happy ClassicDS user, but if I could be more happy, why not?
wink.gif

Is it a good choice for me, assuming that I will not have to pay any single penny in addition? Are EZ-Flash saving as convenient as SuperCard saving or it's more complicated? I've heard that EZ-F Lite "sticks out about 1mm from the GBA slot in the DS Lite" - it shouldn't be a problem for me - but is it made of the same (or better) quality material as SuperCard Lite?

banned4haxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All right, you guys have convinced me to get this card. Still have one question however, where is the best place to get one?

I looked around a bit, but the only sites I could find were either shipping from australia or asia, dunno if this is bad or not, but I rather just buy it somewhere close so I can send it back if something is wrong, and can actually communicate with this phone operators :P

Only place I found out of the US was http://www.modchipstore.com for about $80 + around $7 shipping for the passkey+ezlite combo, anyone else have a good site to suggest?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: wut