EZ Flash Omega DE + Pokemon Leaf Green on NOR

NewHobbyWhoDis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've played around 50 hours of Pokemon Fire Red on my EZ Flash ODE written to NOR flash without any issues whatsoever. Had left the flash cart completely unused for 4-5 months and am now playing Leaf Green, also a 100% clean rom file. But I am now experiencing various issues with it (from minor visual glitches to complete freezes in battle). After reformatting the NOR multiple times the freezing glitches are gone, but visual glitches remain (eg. battle animations and bag previews). Visual glitches now occur very rarely. I'm thinking I should just keep reformatting NOR but I'm not sure if this is bad for its longevity.

Anyone experience this, or have any idea what it is / how to fix it? Thanks in advance...

OilFreak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check to make sure the contact pins on your flashcart are clean, and see if the checksum for the ROM you're using is correct.
You could also zip ALL the contents of the SD card and compare the checksum of the zip file to what it should be.
If none of those work you may have either a broken sd card or a bad flashcart

NewHobbyWhoDis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Check to make sure the contact pins on your flashcart are clean, and see if the checksum for the ROM you're using is correct.
You could also zip ALL the contents of the SD card and compare the checksum of the zip file to what it should be.
If none of those work you may have either a broken sd card or a bad flashcart
Thanks for replying. ROM checksum checks out. How would I go about verifying the checksum of the full SD contents? I don't know much about this stuff, I used a dedicated tool for the ROM.
Now that I think about it I actually haven't cleaned the pins in months, I just did that now so fingers crossed that was the only issue... Will update this thread in a few days if the problem goes away.
Post automatically merged:

Also here's an example of a visual glitch that I managed to capture:

Attachments

• LeafGreen Glitch.jpeg
    LeafGreen Glitch.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 60

commdante

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Old FAT systems are prone to errors if files are not 'closed' properly, usually happens when shutting down system or system reset orso while saving. I'm not sure about EZ Flash Omega DE ... but most old flash carts save when turned on again, I think that ones does the same, but uses other memory which is less inclined to need to do it immediatly.
I suggest using a desktop PC to check the file system and see if any 'files are open' .. and next time when you don't play for a while, turn the GBA/Flashcart on for a sec, let it boot .. and than 'let it rest in memory' so it can properly save? Flash carts can do a lot these days, but they can't fix FAT (File Allocation Table) stuff ...
Not sure if that's the issue, but sounds a bit like people way-back-then with older flash carts.

Reactions: NewHobbyWhoDis

NewHobbyWhoDis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
UPDATE: Consider it solved.
After writing another game to NOR, then formatting it to remove all data, and rewriting the LeafGreen ROM, everything has been fine. Been playing an hour or two every day for the past week and haven't experienced any issues whatsoever.
I had left the cart completely unused with Pokemon Emerald flashed to NOR for a few months before I deleted it and loaded it up with LeafGreen. Maybe this extra info helps if someone else experiences these problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la