Hardware Feedback GBA EZ Flash Omega corrupted saves even after doing everything right?

JeffWinger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all! I'm new so if this is covered or I've violated any rules, I apologize. So I just got an Omega; behind the times but wanted to test the water before jumping into the DE model at the higher price. So I followed every step provided by EZ Flash and even looked at boards where people had issues to avoid any pitfalls. With that said, I couldn't find the answer to the only problem I had. I was getting the dreaded "save corrupted, loading previous save" message even though I was following the EXACT steps for the minimum 5 seconds and at times up to a full minute before exiting anything as if the Lord made an 11th commandment just for EZ Flash users. I was getting corrupted saves in every combination; addon, no addon, 5 seconds, 60 seconds, etc. Every folder freshly made instead of copies of copies, followed the set-up religiously, all roms triple checked for header/patches, SanDisk and Samsung micros only, and no change. Nothing pertaining to corrupted saves even after doing everything right popped up so when I solved the issue I came here to see if anyone else has my issue and wanted to offer my findings for verification and to maybe help someone not waste so much time through trial and error. I can now cause the corrupted saves on command or keep them from being corrupted when none of the other reasons for corrupted saves are the issue. It's a power issue. I noticed (after a ridiculous amount of time trying to get consistent saves to stick) that whenever a save is made when the power light is just starting to flicker or is at a steady red, those saves are always corrupted. I started saving at the first time the light changes for a second from green, to red, back to green, wait the 5 or more seconds, and not one corrupted save since. Every save (after figuring this out and backing up my save 1st) made when the light is consistently flickering or solid red failed every time without exception. Note I am using an AGB-001 with a backlit screen as the only mod, but if I'm saving on green there are no issues and the Omega runs flawlessly. Has anyone else seen this? I know the Junior has a different setup but the Junior doesn't seem to mind low batteries coupled with a backlit screen. The Junior has been issue free from day 1 which is why I trusted my purchase of the Omega. If it is listed on a forum somewhere, I swear I looked for hours to no avail. Hope this helps anyone with a similar finding that is ready to dismiss the Omega and spend more elsewhere.

JeffWinger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got a corrupted save even with fully charged batteries so this whole post was a waste.

Switching to the SimpleLight cfw. Trying that for for now. So far so good but give it some time for a fail I guess. If it does, the Omega DE is too close in price for what an EverDrive X5 goes for. I'm told I should've started there.

zeomax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Corrupted saves is the main reason i stopped using my Omega. No matter what precautions i did to avoid this problem i always ended up with corrupted saves. The enormous battery consumption by this card was the other reason not to use it.

JeffWinger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Corrupted saves is the main reason i stopped using my Omega. No matter what precautions i did to avoid this problem i always ended up with corrupted saves. The enormous battery consumption by this card was the other reason not to use it.
I guess I was hoping user error and/or Evdr fans were throwing reviews off. That drastic price difference and my Junior being 100% trouble free for over a year made it too tempting to not try.

JeffWinger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting(ish) development; switched over to a custom kernel (solely for the backup save functionality) and thought why not throw an overkill micro SD at the Omega. I only use SanDisk when it can be helped because I've never had any problems personally with one. Pervious SD card was a SanDisk Imagemate, because it's what I had laying around. I picked up a SanDisk Extreme Plus yesterday and have been "save corrupted" free since installing it. I'll give it a few days before getting excited. The Omega and new memory card still get me in under the DE and well below the EverDrive. There are too many reported issues for the DE already so if my current set-up is an eventual fail, I'm throwing my hat in with the EverDrive fanboys. Fanboys....?...yes. Have you seen the pretentious comments and reviews...lol

JeffWinger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I believe I have to recant some things...

The power getting low and me not rotating batteries out may be more my fault or not doing so and getting corrupted saves is to some extent my fault. I have also noticed that when my saves appeared to be corrupted even with full power, I discovered waiting in-game over the 5 second wait time (out of paranoia) had an unusual possible side-effect. In waiting too long, the game glitches or freezes and I may have saved somehow at the moment of inactivity affecting the rom. I noticed the buttons to move the character lockup for a moment but I can still save. I was able to recreate a corrupted save this way. Another thing I did was loose the cheap batteries and purchased higher-end batteries that do a better job of maintaining their voltage towards the end of being depleted. Finally, I switched to a more expensive SanDisk. The previous was also a SanDisk but the cheapest one on the rack. When all directions are strictly adhered to and no user error or over-sites, the Omega does work, save, and keeps RTC time as described reliably. Does how finicky the device is get outweighed by its price point? I'm undecided whilst leaning towards yes. I owned a more expensive competitor at one point and had the opposite feeling; the features/functions were overshadowed by its price point. I'll be holding off on returning this cart but from what I've read about the DE so far, there isn't enough improvement to justify me figuring out the quirks of the next model up.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion the Omega Definitive Edition is good value for the money specially compared to the Everdrive GBA X5 Mini. But it's less tolerant to power issues and causes about 10% less battery life (regular Omega 20% compared with X5). The rather buggy save mechanism of the regular Omega is not worth the money you are saving (again in my opinion).

I got my Omega DE for about 70€. The X5 Mini is 99€.

Reactions: JeffWinger

JeffWinger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ghjfdtg X5 Mini goes for 179.00 and the DE is 89.99 US unless I want to chance Ebay, then new is slightly less. I don't care for purchasing any used flash cart for a GBA because whilst some are more trouble free than others...the GBA flash carts are never 100% quirk-free. I want to give the DE a try and almost bought it before the regular Omega but good experience for you aside, no one can deny the page after page throughout the internet and just here of users with issues. I chose to chalk most of the issues people have reported with previous Omega up to user error and it turned out they weren't all just haters. I may get a DE but I'm gonna wait until the firmware updates iron out more issues. The money isn't cost prohibitive for me on the EverDrive, I just think for that big a difference, it should be quirk-free and have more features. I'm glad to hear your good experience with the DE, I would like to give one a try but this whole experience has been less fun/play and more getting everything just as perfect as possible.

Last edited by JeffWinger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper