Hacking Extracting/Playing sequenced game music from BRSAR

TheOnlyZac

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TL;DR – Does anybody know how to play sequenced music from BRSARs, or have any info about this mysterious SoundPlay.elf I used years ago but can't figure out now?

Ok, so I've been trying for days to find a way to somehow extract or just play sequenced music stored as RSEQ nodes in the BRSAR file for Animal Crossing: City Folk, specifically to look for unused music for the Cutting Room Floor. I know it's possible to at least play them on an actual Wii with the right software because I did it two years ago, and I posted a KK_TEST song that I was able to find for TCRF. The way I did it back then was using a peculiar Homebrew app (SoundPlayer.elf) which I was somehow able to get running on Dolphin emulator. However, nowadays when I try and boot it up directly through Dolphin, it just opens an emulator window stuck on a black screen and nothing happens. It doesn't even initialize enough to show the FPS counter. Perhaps there was some trick to loading the file that I'm not remembering?

The file I have for this program/app is called SoundPlayer.elf, but I don't know if I named it that or if it came with that name because I don't remember how I got it and I can't find any trace of it anywhere; not the source, not the creator, not even a forum that references it. I even tried searching the SHA-1 hash of the file in hopes that the original would turn up. All I know is that it worked two years ago for me via Dolphin (albeit on a different PC). The best way I can describe it is that it's UI looked like Winamp but more flat and gray, and I could scroll sequentially through all the sequences on the BRSAR, playing them one at a time (not just the individual sound effects, but the full sequences of songs and melodies from the game).

I've tried everything I can think of to extract/play the sequenced music music. Here's what I can remember off the top of my head.
  • BrawlBox will let me browse the sequences and their file structure within the archive, but I can't extract or play them.
  • I was able to use BRSAR Unpacker to successfully extract the contents of the BRSAR, but all that gave me were a bunch of RWAV files, which upon converting to WAV turned out to be just the instruments and sounds that comprise the sequences.
  • When that didn't work I kept trying to get SoundPlayer.elf to boot, thinking that it might work if I start it through the Wii Menu by way of a virtual SD card. However, I got stuck when Imdisk Virtual Driver wouldn't let me write to the virtual disk image.

So I'm at an impasse, and I would appreciate any help or advice. I think the SoundPlayer is perhaps my only option, as I'm under the impression that even if it were possible to isolate and extract the game's audio sequences there would effectively be no way to play them. If anyone knows anything about getting this SoundPlayer to work (assuming I'm not just way out of the loop) it would be helpful for so many Wii games that store their music in the same format. If anyone has any info or another method to play sequenced music, please let me know!

Last edited by TheOnlyZac,

TheOnlyZac

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might be possible to play sequenced music (SEQ/SSEQ) via converting it to MIDI, but I'm not sure.

Aha, thank you! Your short response gave me just the search terms I needed to find VGMtrans, which enabled me convert and extract the sequenced music from the BRSAR as MIDI, as well as the instrument banks for each song as SoundFound2 files.

So my problem is officially solved, however I am still intrigued by this SoundPlayer app that I used before but can't seem to get functional now. Exporting the MIDIs and SoundFonts for each individual song works fine, but I recall that the SoundPlayer can play every sequence in the game in order without needing to extract them. Anyways, thank you again!

CHEMI6DER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Aha, thank you! Your short response gave me just the search terms I needed to find VGMtrans, which enabled me convert and extract the sequenced music from the BRSAR as MIDI, as well as the instrument banks for each song as SoundFound2 files.

So my problem is officially solved, however I am still intrigued by this SoundPlayer app that I used before but can't seem to get functional now. Exporting the MIDIs and SoundFonts for each individual song works fine, but I recall that the SoundPlayer can play every sequence in the game in order without needing to extract them. Anyways, thank you again!
Sorry for the bump. How exactly did you manage to get VGMtrans to open BRSAR? The main branch of VGMtrans(which has builds) can't open it, and I can't figure out how to compile the "rsar" fork from the source code(msys2 mostly finishes the build, but can't link it. And VisualStudio isn't any better either. I'm trying to build for MS Windows btw).
About the sound player: there's a good reason that you weren't able to find anything about it on the internet and it's because SoundPlayer.elf is a part of NintendoWare for RVL which is a part of Ninty's official RVL SDK, so it's copyrighted and confidential. I also tried to get it to work with Dolphin and didn't have any success. Mine gives me a blue screen with error 002 or something. It might have something to do with the fact that my Dolphin install has a retail Wii NAND from a PAL Wii.

TheOnlyZac

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the bump. How exactly did you manage to get VGMtrans to open BRSAR? The main branch of VGMtrans(which has builds) can't open it, and I can't figure out how to compile the "rsar" fork from the source code(msys2 mostly finishes the build, but can't link it. And VisualStudio isn't any better either. I'm trying to build for MS Windows btw).
About the sound player: there's a good reason that you weren't able to find anything about it on the internet and it's because SoundPlayer.elf is a part of NintendoWare for RVL which is a part of Ninty's official RVL SDK, so it's copyrighted and confidential. I also tried to get it to work with Dolphin and didn't have any success. Mine gives me a blue screen with error 002 or something. It might have something to do with the fact that my Dolphin install has a retail Wii NAND from a PAL Wii.

I see, thank you for the info! I never considered that it might be some kind of first-party tool; I honestly have no idea where or how I came upon it, and it's basically just wasting hard drive space for me since it's completely unusable atm haha.

As far as opening the BRSAR in VGMTrans, I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Perhaps I unknowingly downloaded a fork/alternate build of VGMTrans because I'm able to File>Open the rv_forest.brsar (which I extracted straight out of the ACCF ISO), and it displays all of the sequenced tracks and sound banks stored in the file.

However I just downloaded the "interim" build from the master repo on github, and I can open the file but it doesn't show me all the tracks. With some time I might be able to track down where I downloaded the tool from, but in the meantime if it helps, the name of the executable I have is VGMTrans_WTL.exe.

Last edited by TheOnlyZac,

CHEMI6DER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I see, thank you for the info! I never considered that it might be some kind of first-party tool; I honestly have no idea where or how I came upon it, and it's basically just wasting hard drive space for me since it's completely unusable atm haha.

As far as opening the BRSAR in VGMTrans, I'm not sure what exactly is going on. Perhaps I unknowingly downloaded a fork/alternate build of VGMTrans because I'm able to File>Open the rv_forest.brsar (which I extracted straight out of the ACCF ISO), and it displays all of the sequenced tracks and sound banks stored in the file.

However I just downloaded the "interim" build from the master repo on github, and I can open the file but it doesn't show me all the tracks. With some time I might be able to track down where I downloaded the tool from, but in the meantime if it helps, the name of the executable I have is VGMTrans_WTL.exe.
I found the working BRSAR build muself. It's on the same github repo as the rsar fork, but there is nothing that points out that it supports brsar(here's a link btw https://github.com/magcius/vgmtrans/releases).
There are also similar sdk sound testing tools for WiiU, 3DS, Switch and DS.
I actually managed to get the 3DS one working with data from different games on Citra. It plays streamed files and sequences just fine

Last edited by CHEMI6DER,

WiiGamer2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how did you convert the .rwav files to .wav

im data mining for an old game that gave me nostalgia and i extracted the .brsar and only got .rwav files

I NEED TO KNOW

thanks

donotprikel231

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how did you convert the .rwav files to .wav

im data mining for an old game that gave me nostalgia and i extracted the .brsar and only got .rwav files

I NEED TO KNOW

thanks
Just use this tool https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UlNPg2D9ALEORmC8Zedv95MPdXF6dnXM/view?usp=drive_link Im using windows for this post. I cant post links yet that makes me mad because i cant help people in time.

STEP NUMBER 1
Extract the downloaded .zip file using the default windows archive extractor by right clicking the .zip file and extract all or do it by clicking the extract all button at the ribbion on the top. or some software like 7zip or winrar or using the free online versions.

STEP NUMBER 2
This tool convert .rwav to .wav file. Just select all .rwav files from any folder then drag and drop them onto the text.exe file and the converted files will be in the same directory as the rwav files. I make it easy to handle by opening 2 windows by right clicking a folder that has the tool or rwav files and clicking "Open in new window". Hope this helps a lot. oK

Last edited by donotprikel231,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!