Hacking Error Code 002-0102, Have I been banned?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
surely they cant totally ban playing of any game cart/rom online and offline? how clould they stop the 3ds from playing any cart/rom? online is possible as may have been proven, but offline is surely not possible to stop. And if this is the case, then surely it wont slow down piracy much, as can still get the roms and play...so could nintendo be wasting their time/resources?

maybe its not intentional by nintendo, but something to do with the launch of the new 3ds...maybe had to change some code to get the new 3ds to work online or function correctlt, which unfortunatly has caused this problem for sky3ds/gateway users
No it's definitely intentional. But yes, this only affects online functionality, as that qualifies as a service rather than a product. Nintendo can stop you from using their services if you break the ToS/EULA, but they cannot stop you from using the product you bought. It won't stop piracy, but it will certainly make people think twice about playing pirated games online.

TheMustardKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you have had the game running on a public header with wifi on but just haven't gone into the actual multiplayer section of it? if so... thats interesting.

Seems like their online systems don't reach out for the header info unless you connect to the online servers. The service for the Friend's List could very likely be decoupled from the service that provides multiplayer features for games like Super Smash Bros or Pokemon. In that case, the latter would be what validates the header against a master cache of what is currently connected to the servers. It could dole out bans if it sees more than a given amount using the same code simultaneously (2 for reference, but it could be a threshold set higher than that for error since the TTL for a header from a unique MAC might be longer than the game stays connected. Sorry for the big IT words, but I'm inferring based on personal experience with networks, caching and DNS resolving). So, in this case, you could have a game with a public header not cause an issue just being read by system software, as what identifies a cart for sharing of game info on the friends list is much more shallow than what is used to utilize specific game multiplayer features.

Either that, or I'm already under the guillotine and they are just teasing me before they flip the switch :lol:

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
some games connect to the net in background though dont they, to download data/updates ect.. or to get streetpass data... so even if we never play a game online, it would still block them?

not too bad if all we gotta do if we want to play a game online, is to buy the original cart. But not so good, if it blocks all games from working online even if using a original rom :(

punpun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I send Sky3DS an email yesterday and today I got their response:

I sent one too and they said:
0bd47278a8.png

Still, today i connected to the internet, i haven't played since weeks and i'm still 9.4. I used to play online Pokemon AS and Animal Crossing but i didn't want to test if i still can i play online, but i tested youtube and the other stuff and its okay, but not the games like the one i mentioned above. I don't know what should i do but i think i'll play offline for a while, or maybe i can play online but i'm not sure, i used the template that sky has in the website. So should i play offline then till there's a method to avoid this on sky3ds?.

EDIT: No error when i open the friend list, and also youtube that i also mentioned.

Greetings.

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
if flash cart creators could make them generate a random header each time a game is started, then it would be impossible for nintendo to block? but is this also impossible for a flashcart maker to do?

D

Deleted-355425

Seems like their online systems don't reach out for the header info unless you connect to the online servers. The service for the Friend's List could very likely be decoupled from the service that provides multiplayer features for games like Super Smash Bros or Pokemon. In that case, the latter would be what validates the header against a master cache of what is currently connected to the servers. It could dole out bans if it sees more than a given amount using the same code simultaneously (2 for reference, but it could be a threshold set higher than that for error since the TTL for a header from a unique MAC might be longer than the game stays connected. Sorry for the big IT words, but I'm inferring based on personal experience with networks, caching and DNS resolving). So, in this case, you could have a game with a public header not cause an issue just being read by system software, as what identifies a cart for sharing of game info on the friends list is much more shallow than what is used to utilize specific game multiplayer features.

Either that, or I'm already under the guillotine and they are just teasing me before they flip the switch :lol:

They may just be waiting for the blade to be returned from the sharpeners after a busy week.

Reactions: punpun

TheMustardKing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some games connect to the net in background though dont they, to download data/updates ect.. or to get streetpass data... so even if we never play a game online, it would still block them?

not too bad if all we gotta do if we want to play a game online, is to buy the original cart. But not so good, if it blocks all games from working online even if using a original rom :(

Streetpass is an adhoc service. You can choose to allow stuff in the Miiverse to grab from the internet, like those "special Miis" that show up. Spotpass downloads data but I do not know if it does a header check or not as a lot of the Spotpass features claim to still download even when the game is closed or not inserted. It would be safest to turn off all Spotpass but I am unaware of any game that connects to the internet services by default on launch. Maybe the Monster Hunter games do this, but I know at least for Pokemon and Smash, you have to select the online functionality area and wait for it to actually connect.

I agree that in the end, it would have been prudent for them to slap-on-the-wrist and say "hey, we caught you using a hack card. Do it again and we remove all your internets." But since they include those disclaimers as standard in the EULA, this is not overreaching on their part in any way. It is definitely having the desired chilling effect, making people question what is safe and what isn't and will deter a lot more piracy based purely on the threat of bans without a firm scenario for it happening.

They may just be waiting for the blade to be returned from the sharpeners after a busy week.

Well, if I'm going down, at least I can say I had a pretty neck.

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country

Assuming this is an intentional ban wave, I think banning CIA users is the logical next step for Nintendo. Checking if a user is playing a digital title they don't have in their library should be much easier, from a technical standpoint, than all this header checking.
I guess they started banning based on headers because this way they target both Sky3DS and Gateway.

luney

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Microsoft had their very first ban wave, they had hidden a scanner in a normal update. They let it run in the wild for a while and then based on the results, banned thousands. The scanner ran in the background and looked for the hacked dvd drive firmwares. Once detected it would flag the system until it was next online and then report back to MS. At least this is how it was explained to me.

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
it seems it will only ban online play, so we should still be able to play majoras mask once a working header is released. Surely playing majoras mask with a working header, wont trigger a ban, as its not a online game... seems at moment they only checking headers to games that have been played online... is this correct?

Radxical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you have had the game running on a public header with wifi on but just haven't gone into the actual multiplayer section of it? if so... thats interesting.
Same exact thing for me. I play Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which has online capabilities, but I don't use the actual online portion. Friends that look at the friends list can see that I'm playing Animal Crossing, but I can access friends list fine. I have a retail cart of Smash Bros, which still connects perfectly fine to online play.

(Sky3ds)

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same exact thing for me. I play Animal Crossing: New Leaf, which has online capabilities, but I don't use the actual online portion. Friends that look at the friends list can see that I'm playing Animal Crossing, but I can access friends list fine. I have a retail cart of Smash Bros, which still connects perfectly fine to online play.

(Sky3ds)
Most likely because you aren't using online. I could guess the 3DS does not read the header unless it actually does online. When you play a game it just looks up the game ID and lists it.
Just my thought though.

_eyCaRambA_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most likely because you aren't using online. I could guess the 3DS does not read the header unless it actually does online. When you play a game it just looks up the game ID and lists it.
Just my thought though.

Since savedata is header-dependant I certainly doubt that it's only read when using the online portion but probably it gets verified when trying to go online.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since savedata is header-dependant I certainly doubt that it's only read when using the online portion but probably it gets verified when trying to go online.
I ment for the friendslist. Also if you change headers I believe you can import a save file but you have to kind of mess with it weird.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Most recent ban in that thread claims to only use cia and 3ds. Pokemon still being a common factor.
This is big news and we all passed over this comment. I know about the guy who was using .3dz with public headers prior, but you're sayig there was a guy using ONLY CIAs?

In other news, do you guys think we should start patching offline games with headers too? Or does it seem that Nintendo only can read them while playing online features of the game. Say I'm playing SM3DLand (offline game) with my switch on, people can see that that's the game I'm playing right? But Nintendo can't see the header.

So what if you're playing a CIA file that you didn't purchase. Like Shovel Knight for instance that has no physical release. Even if you're playing it with the wifi switch off can't Nintendo see the log and see the game, check if you bought it, then ban you?

Would it be safe to play all games as CIA files but if you want to play online extract the save and import it in a 3dz version to play? These are all questions with no answers.

Reactions: LoneGrenade

Radxical

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, sometime in January, I went online using public headers on Smash Bros and Mario Kart 7. Haven't gone online with a public header since then and I'm still perfectly fine w/ no repercussions.

Do you think Nintendo has "blocked" every header listed in sky3ds's template? As in, a ban-list? Or is it probably more like an auto-detection, where bans are issued as soon as an abuse case pops up?

I would assume it's the latter, since it would be too much effort for Nintendo to do the former.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...