Hacking "EMS GB USB Smart Card 64M" problem

HappyPuppy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
Hi,

I know this isnt a place (a Forum) for the Ordinary Monochrme Game Boy but I think you can help me about my problem here...

I've ordered an Flash Card for the Original Monochrome Game Boy wich name is: Smart Card 64Mb from the manufacturer EMS. I've ordered from The Store Kitsch Bent (here is a link from the store:

http://store.kitsch-...-64m-smart-card)

The problem is the Cart dont want to store Roms because when I'm starting the program GB_USB.exe (wich comes in a CD with the packaging) the whole program freezes, it apears an text "Now Loading" and the loading time never ends !... :(

Plus the program detects some kind of "Error Code 31":

GB_USB_Error_Code_31.jpg

What this means?

When i'm unplug the USB cable from the cartridge the program unfreezes and then you can select any options,but if you plug it back the USB cable the program freezes again and then you can't select the buttons...

Also the program detect that the cartridge haves one Rom (PD Rom) named "Adventure".
When I plug the Cartridge in my Game Boy I can play that Demo, but just that Demo. I can't put other Original Game Boy Games !

Should I Format the Cartridge (but I can't do that because the Program freezes after I connect the Game Boy with the PC via the USB cable !)

The EMS Smart Card is a brand new cartridge. It's not a used one (I mean is not a second hand)
I've got the cartridge few days before.

Iv've instaled the drivers and the other stuffs properly.

Can anybody help me about this problem? Anykind of advice will be nice.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Common Causes of Code 31 Errors
A Code 31 error is caused by problems with the driver of the offending device. Driver errors such as Code 31 suggest multiple possbilities when attempting to determine the root cause of the problem. Driver errors can occur unexpectedly, and at any time. Although, driver errors typically occur due to the following common causes.
Common causes of Code 31 errors...
  • The driver is not installed.
  • The driver is missing.
  • The driver is out-of-date.
  • The driver is corrupt.
  • A previous attempt to update the driver failed.
  • The device is not configured as the default device.
  • The device is not plugged in correctly or all the way.
  • The device is damaged.
Likely cause is that your using windows 7x64. Drivers only work in XPx32 ONLY. It comes with 64bit drivers that are UNSIGNED, meaning you will have to start windows in Disable Driver Signature Enforcement mode. See picture below.

disable-driver-signature-enforcement.png

Otherway is to use a Virtual Machine and have a XP guest OS installed and load your stuff that way. See my sig, 3rd link for example for installing and using a VM.

HappyPuppy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've send tons of e-mails to Kitsch Bent but they don't want to reply to me :( They don't want to replace the cartridge even they don't want to help me about the problem ! :(

When I plug the cartridge in the Game Boy an "Kitsch Bent" logo Apears and a PD demo named "Adventure".

When watching YouTube videos of other peoples that haves this cartridge, they don't have such a logo and PD Demo...

Should I erase these PD roms?

Does the Memory of the Cartridge have to be Fully erased if I like to add other Roms to the Cartridge?

I tried it on a PC with 32 bit AMD Proccessor and 32 bit versions of Windows 7 and Windows XP instaled (dual boot). I've tried to run the GB_USB.exe program on Windows XP and in VirtualBox (XP SP2 on Windows 7).

On Windows XP Operating System sometimes the program GB_USB.exe allows me to click on the Buttons, but when I click i.e. on "Read" button (to copy the "ADVENTURE" 256K PD rom to the PC) after clicking on the Button it appears a message "Now Loading" and that loading message is displayed forever (and then the program Frezes). Thats why I'm affraid to click on the Button "Format" because it will freeze again and maby then it will damage the Cartridge...

P.S. Do I have to do this:

1) Just normally plug the Cartridge with the usb cable into the PC USB port and then use the GB_USB.exe program

or

2) Put the EMS GB USB flash Cart in the GameBoy Cartridge slot and then power ON the Game Boy and finally plug the USB cable to the PC and start the GB_USB.exe program (with the Game Boy power still turned ON)?

I've tried only 1). I think doing 2) will damage the Cartridge. Has any of you used this Cartridge or have experience with this 64M GB USB Smart Card?

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Older flashcarts had problems with VIA and some Nvidia usb chipsets (NForce motherboards) found on some older motherboards. I don't know if it is the case with the EMS, since I don't have a comp with those chipsets anymore.

I got my EMS from Non Electronics. They had a the app and drivers that I got working with mine on the item page.
I also uploaded them to filetrip : http://filetrip.net/...lient-1-03.html

You can try this with the laptop and see if it works.

It is the same app and file. Your just going to have to try it on the laptop.

HappyPuppy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've like to ask one question:

Where do you extract the Drivers and the program (in wich drive and Folder) ?

Does the GB_USB.exe must be placed in the same Folder as the driver files ?

Maby I didn't extract the driver files in the right drive (C, D, E...) or run the GB_USB.exe program from the right path (i.e. maby it only works if you put this GB_USB.exe in Program Files?)...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO