Hacking Edge won't work with Arm7 patching games?

lunacy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the Edge cart won't work/load/read games that you do with the Arm7 patch, games like Kirby Super Star Ultra and Chrono Trigger DS. Both games works good after I patches them with Arm7 and will load in my R4, DSTT and AceKard. How do I make those games to work with the Edge?

I see this as one major disadvantage with the Edge and possibly the same with the Cyclo DS.

Help!!!!

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had not known Chrono Trigger didn't work. Is it the same for the CycloDS? If so, there should be an update soon. Maybe an Edge update after the Cyclo. Or vice versa would be nice.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Kirby SSU works fine for me, I actually beat it just recently on my EDGE (no patch required). Make sure you update to the latest firmware.

I'm not sure about Chrono Trigger. I havnt tested that yet

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know of any games that need arm7 patching on the EDGE. The Chrono Trigger problem isn't to do with arm7 or anything, it's actual copy protection. You can use cheats to bypass it.

lunacy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is, I'm using an already patched version of Kirby super star ultra and Chrono trigger DS from my R4. They all work okay on my other flash carts. I know a future firmware for the Edge can solve all of that, but... the problem is.... what if the Edge cart suddenly is dead and patching your own games doesn't work on the Edge? The R4 is still pretty much alive because patching your own games works even without any new firmware update. But the same cannot be said about the Edge or Cyclo. It relied more on new firmwares release to fix incompatible games. I hope I am wrong, but if that's how it it, then it's not worth getting an Edge for this.

As for Chrono trigger DS, I've heard cyclo just released a new firmware to fix that so an Edge firmware will soon follow.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe the arm7 patched roms don't work because they don't actually need it and it causes a problem with the firmwares internal patching methods.

lunacy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That may be the answer... but.. sad to know that all my patched games saves would not work when transferring over to the Edge.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In all actuality, it's not the Edge's fault. Rather, it's the R4's fault since the firmware wasn't updated forcing you to patch the games. Have you tried YSmenu? Or maybe if you use a save converter it might transfer the data well.

Really though, because the R4 died alot earlier than current flash carts the blame should go on that cart.

lunacy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem isn't on the R4 itself, it's that the Edge won't read patched roms with Arm7 fix, it only reads clean roms. I've tried renaming my Kirby super star ultra (U) which I had patched with arm7 fix using Kirby squeak squad (U) and had renamed the file into the same format as the Edge but it still won't load it although it no longer create a new file from the start unless I overwrite it.

Do you mean Ysmenu on the Edge, cause I have not tried that, and don't know how yet.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YSmenu is for the R4, please consult the R4 forum for the links in there.

Now I understand what you're saying, but the fact that the R4 had to play patched games wasn't really a good idea for future migration into a more updated Flash Cart. Trust me, I know. Migrating from a Micro NinjaDS to the R4 was troublesome as nearly half the games were patched and using those save files were a hit or miss.

But not to worry, because I encountered the same problems you have, I'll give you some pointers as to what I tried to circumvent it. You have several options:

-Perhaps the easiest way is to install YSmenu onto your R4, because it uses the DSTT loader I have had some success with it. What you do is play a clean rom of the Kirby game and see if it will load with your save. If it does, save the game again and then try that save onto your Edge.
-Option 2 is to go to this save converter site, http://shunyweb.info/convert.php and then just convert your save using the required settings. It may seems pointless but somewhere along the way it may work. A tip is to try converting it to a sav format of another card, then back to an R4 format.
-This may work, it may not. But it worked in my case so here goes. If you have No$GBA, first toss your sav into the "BATTERY" folder, then load a clean rom of the Kirby game. Make sure the game and sav have the same name. If it loads succesfully, save the game while in the No$GBA emulator. Now it will save it in a somewhat raw format, so dont be surprised at the small size. This means you have an entirely new sav to deal with. Go to the save converter site listed above and convert your No$GBA sav into an R4 or Edge sav. Cross your fingers and hope for the best as you load the clean rom in your Edge.

Hope it all works out for you, if not, then.... maybe there's a sav file online somewhere >_>

lunacy123456

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jagerstaffel said:
-Perhaps the easiest way is to install YSmenu onto your R4, because it uses the DSTT loader I have had some success with it. What you do is play a clean rom of the Kirby game and see if it will load with your save. If it does, save the game again and then try that save onto your Edge.

I've tried this method and it works, thanks for the tip.

jagerstaffel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to see it works. One of the priceless things about YSMenu, unlike my experience of migrating from the Ninja to the R4 was that it either worked, or didn't work. While some of the sav's worked, when using all available methods and it still won't work it kinda sucked. At least the R4 is fairly recent thanks to YSMenu. When the Ninja died, it died hard and unofficially
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone