Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleadoskope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
and people,if your not selling copies of copyrighted content for a profit ,THEN IT IS NOT PIRACY ,STOP BELIEVEING THIS BS AND WAKE UP AND STOP BEING SHEEP AND REALIZE THAT YOU ARE BEING PROGRAMMED
using a copy of a coptrighted work for your own personal use is not piracy it is fair use,so long as you didnt pay money for it ,or dont charge others for it

Fair use? It isn't fair use, fair use is when it is used for things like commentary, research, things like that. Piracy is piracy, and isn't protected by any laws, except under special circumstances. Homebrew may be fair use, piracy is not.

Okay, yes, it is definitely frustrating when people make progress, and refuse to release, and yes, piracy is frequently the doorway to homebrew. Just hold your damn horses until something can be made of this.

keasy

Trophies
XP
Country
totalnoob617 said:
and people,if your not selling copies of copyrighted content for a profit ,THEN IT IS NOT PIRACY ,STOP BELIEVEING THIS BS AND WAKE UP AND STOP BEING SHEEP AND REALIZE THAT YOU ARE BEING PROGRAMMED
using a copy of a coptrighted work for your own personal use is not piracy it is fair use,so long as you didnt pay money for it ,or dont charge others for it

Unauthorised distribution of someone else's intellectual property is very much piracy. Be it for profit or not.
If you want to be a pedant about the actual meaning of piracy then you have to also consider that the English language is very much a living and dynamic language that is consistently changing with words having meaning added within dictionary listings every year.

Chambers :
piracy noun (piracies) 1 the activity of pirates, such as robbery on the high seas. 2 unauthorized publication or reproduction of copyright material.
ETYMOLOGY: 16c.

wiibob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
keasy said:
totalnoob617 said:

Unauthorised distribution of someone else's intellectual property is very much piracy. Be it for profit or not.
If you want to be a pedant about the actual meaning of piracy then you have to also consider that the English language is very much a living and dynamic language that is consistently changing with words having meaning added within dictionary listings every year.

Chambers :
piracy noun (piracies) 1 the activity of pirates, such as robbery on the high seas. 2 unauthorized publication or reproduction of copyright material.
ETYMOLOGY: 16c.
I still to this day dont know why they call it piracy. Piracy is robbery as the definition says in the dictionary. What people do is make a copy of the original file....that's something completely different than piracy...its copying... Lol.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
totalnoob617 said:

LOL, I think you should demand a refund from whatever law school you went to
smile.gif

Distribution of goods that you do not own the rights to is illegal in almost every country in the world. If you copy something that someone else created and that person didn't give you express permission, then it is piracy. Just because something is no for profit, does not make it legal.

Keva

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think what he's trying to say is, its not illegal to run backups of games that you have legally bought in a store.

Running games you don't own is a big no no.

Anyway, this thread is turning into a piracy debate which we already have a thread for.

+1 vote for locking.

keasy

Trophies
XP
Country
It depends where in the world you live and how your soveriegn state defines its laws.

In the U.K. it's very much assumed that to run a back up of software you legally own is acceptable and in no way illegal.

To the contrary, it's illegal to copy or run backups of software in the U.K. regardless of owning an original purchase. I believe this is not the same State side where it is legal.

The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act in The U.K. specifically states that ...."legal purchasers of computer games are explicitly permitted to make a backup copy of their purchase"
But wait that's out of kilter from what I've been saying isn't it ?

That's because Section 296Z also specifically states that " it is an offence to do anything at all which is designed to circumvent any piece of copyright protection technology put in place by the manufacturers or distributors of any copyrighted work. "

Conflicting rules of law ?

No, when you consider it's an amendment then it's legally and easily argued that it has been amended as such to be an update in order to offer clarity and clear statement that obtaining protected data in a 'game' is circumvention. Doesn't matter if you circumvented yourself, distribution of circumvented materials is an adage and wilful abetted application of indirect circumvention.

I think.

I don't actually know.

I'm just drunk and talking shit.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i never said that there werent "laws" against it ,i said that he "laws" are unjust and corrupt
and have nothing to do with morals, the corporations that paid for those laws are immoral ,
they have perverted the meaning of the word "piracy"
' and also the meaning of copyright
the reason that copyright was invented wasnt to control content in this way ,it was created to prevent people from passing off someone elses work as their own ,and to stop non original versions of goods or ip works from being sold in way that would lead people to believe they are getting the original article when they are not ,it was not intended to be used like this ,but corporations have an agenda to brainwash people and to sway the public consensus to believe that it should be for their own devices
im not saying the law dont exist ,im saying it is stupid BS,like the drug laws and other laws that are only put in place for one reason,to serve the special interests and multinational corporations that paid to have them put in place
when sony wanted to sell betamax vcr's in the 80's they argued that making a copy for your personal use was considered "fair use" but now that are much more heavey into the content busniess they have argued the opposite ,and have lobbied and paid off people to get unfair laws like dmca passed,so if you try and sell something and they say it could enable "piracy"then you get sued and criminally charged ,but its ok for them to sell you a dvr or cd/dvd/and blu-ray burner

both a flashcard and a bluray burner is for making copies of copyrighted works for your own personal use,back in the 80's it was perfectly legal to take a cassette of a copyrighted music album(the predominant media of the day) and bring it to a friends house and pop it in their sony high speed dubbing tape deck and make a copy for yourself,it was considered "fair use" you just couldnt make a bag of copies and sell then out on a street corner,people are too complicit when their rights are being stripped away by huge corporations who own the media and have used it to their advantage to change public opinion over time and generations to go along with their BS

Kaleadoskope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I guess I sort of get what you're saying. The piracy laws have become much more strict, so it's not longer legal to copy things like that. But when 'personal use' is probably the only use for such a product, that's why there's a problem. Although personally, I think Nintendo should at least support homebrew in some way, not doing that seems to be asking for people to screw your console.

But then again, piracy is on a much larger scale today, with the Internet and whatnot. Really, there are arguments and excuses for both sides.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Nice to see progress. I'm sure we'll have a 3DS scene by the time they drop the Lite. I heard they're alreadyw orking on it
smile.gif

dekuleon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
sauce loled

hey hey i want homebrew on my 3ds!!! (who doesn't?!?!)

Cant wait! Great expectations!!
biggrin.gif

(want to play backup games too)

Imagine the possibilities... like, freaking 3d demos... maybe n64 emulation
biggrin.gif

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
In most places it's illegal to download it even if you do own the original, since things that allow you to make a copy state that YOU MAKE the copy.

it's penalized almost everywhere i know
even here in hungary, you can't download, but if u write it on an optical media or portable usb harddrives, you get a tougher fine

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
synce said:
Nice to see progress. I'm sure we'll have a 3DS scene by the time they drop the Lite. I heard they're alreadyw orking on it
smile.gif
Nintendo is always working on hardware the second they release something. They've already said that.

Revisions to handhelds don't happen for 12-18 months. But that does fall in line with my prediction for 3DS hacked

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
So uh.... when is this thread getting locked? Seriously, that "sauce" (is it tomato-flavoured? Maybe steak sauce? How about chili sauce?) is horribly unreliable. I wish people would give this stuff a rest. ENOUGH ALREADY.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TCJJ said:
So uh.... when is this thread getting locked? Seriously, that "sauce" (is it tomato-flavoured? Maybe steak sauce? How about chili sauce?) is horribly unreliable. I wish people would give this stuff a rest. ENOUGH ALREADY.

man you are here "only" 2 years with ~150 and are already "demanding" a legitimate thread to be locked ?

this is a discussion board so why forbit a discussion ?

even if its fake as long as ppl post topic related things why not -.-

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youkai said:
TCJJ said:

man you are here "only" 2 years with ~150 and are already "demanding" a legitimate thread to be locked ?

this is a discussion board so why forbit a discussion ?

even if its fake as long as ppl post topic related things why not -.-
this is off-topic X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9w_UTPpHjg