Android (dumb?) question for android

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I have an android phone running 2.3.3, and I was just wondering if all android phones are able to update android, or am I stuck with 2.3.3 forever unless I hack?

By that, I mean how iOS5 works on older phones and iTouches...

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just depends on the maker of the phone and if they decide to throw an update out there. Plenty of 2.2 phones have been updated to 2.3. But, you could always put a custom rom on your phone if there are any for it. ICS is going to be opensourced so custom rom developers are going to be working hard on porting to many phones that otherwise would never get the update officially.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Basically, if your phone currently has custom ROMs, it'll almost certainly get ICS (i.e. Android 4.0). There is also a possibility that your phone's manufacturer will officially release ICS (this would mean that any customization your manufacturer added to Android would also be in the ICS ROM e.g. TouchWiz for Samsung phones; virtually all custom ROMs remove such customizations in favour of either their own customizations or a more "stock" Android experience). There's a list of devices confirmed to be getting updates here: http://blogs.compute...40_upgrade_list

If your phone isn't on that list, you could contact customer support and ask if your phone will be upgraded or not. If not, look into custom ROMs. Chances are, there are ROMs with better feature sets than the manufacturer's ROM anyway (typically custom ROMs are more easily theme-able, are often optimized more for your device, don't have loads of bloatware, potentially have added security features and bug fixes etc. - could also have a custom kernel [custom kernel doesn't always require a custom ROM, but sometimes custom ROMs require custom kernels and/or include them; if they're necessary they'll be included in the ROM for sure], which would maximize the hardware of the phone [e.g. allowing overclocking etc.]). And you'll usually find that custom ROMs will be updated sooner than official ROMs, although they may be less stable.

EDIT: And it's not a dumb question; with the huge variation of Android devices, it's hard to give (and even more so get) definitive answers about certain aspects of Android.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just depends on the maker of the phone and if they decide to throw an update out there. Plenty of 2.2 phones have been updated to 2.3. But, you could always put a custom rom on your phone if there are any for it. ICS is going to be opensourced so custom rom developers are going to be working hard on porting to many phones that otherwise would never get the update officially.
Ice Cream Sandwich has already been open-sourced.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ice Cream Sandwich has already been open-sourced.
Oh, really?! Sweet. Hope they make a rom for the Optimus V soon, then. (:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All I gotta do is not spend $10 in the next 5 days and I'll break even this month lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, tell your wife not to forget her wallet
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/YMAa6obDNZs?si=rymChLKeTdyS8nqk