Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
How can a subdomain still be active, if the main domain is expired?
While the whole "a subdomain is just a redirect-to folder on the main one" trick is very common, it's not actually the way true subdomains work!

Unfortunately everybody and their grandmother just uses the redirect trick since it's free, so I've no experience with true subdomains. :(

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
While the whole "a subdomain is just a redirect-to folder on the main one" trick is very common, it's not actually the way true subdomains work!

Unfortunately everybody and their grandmother just uses the redirect trick since it's free, so I've no experience with true subdomains. :(
You're telling me that subdomains are actually real domains just using a common part of the domain name to link them togheter

wat

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...didn't even notice they were down until this thread. Ah well, things change all the time.......

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You're telling me that subdomains are actually real domains just using a common part of the domain name to link them togheter

wat
Sort of. It's like how "examplesite.co.uk" is not an actual domain, but a subdomain... but most people will treat like a domain (and in fact they're sold as if they were domains) anyways because that's how people treat addresses and domain names nowadays so it never even comes up.

In most cases a host gives one domain, and then the person will make fake subdomains by simply telling the server software (via cpanel, etc.) to redirect requests to subfolders. This is what's usually done in the modern internet because it's generally assumed that any subdivisions of a specific domain will want to be run by the same person so most hosting places don't even show subdomain or domain splitting options by default.

Anyways there's other ways to run it as well, but seeing as I've only had experience with the redirect-to-a-folder kind, I can't say what's up in this specific case. Generally the second-most-common type is simply having subdomains point to different physical machines, but this is a service case, not a machine/outage case.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They stopped giving a damn about homebrew a long time ago and made themselves out to be a pseudo-rom site and even had clickable links with the rom archive name on there to attract visitors. When the commercial releases all but stopped, they ran out of anything interesting to talk about. It died.

...what? :lol:

First of all, each and every archive name you click on informs you that the site doesn't host ROM's. This was to prevent new users from requesting them since the first instinct is to click the archive name, not to write a forum post. Second of all, DS-Scene never stopped caring about homebrew - not sure where you got that info from.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
each and every archive name you click on informs you that the site doesn't host ROM's. This was to prevent new users from requesting them since the first instinct is to click the archive name, not to write a forum post.
That's FUCKING GENIUS!! Why doesn't GBAtemp do that???

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Well we don't have proper scene lists right now, and a one-time 'popup' when you visit the forums where you need to type something like "There are no ROMs on GBATemp" was discussed (you used to have to type it to sign up)... But getting something done around here is like... man, I can't even find a decent simile.

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
...what? :lol:...DS-Scene never stopped caring about homebrew - not sure where you got that info from.
Pretty straightforward - I got that info from over the last couple of years, homebrew after homebrew after homebrew getting absolutely no mention whatsoever, whereas every commercial release were posted in much the speedy fashion, just for people to post "downloaded it, played it, beat it, NEXT!!!", "well I was totally going to buy it, but, you know, I beat it already, you know... *shrugs* NEXT!!!"

The logic goes - "We make it look like we host roms - just to tell people off about wanting roms..." Hmmmm ookee.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Intriguing; I seem to recall it was down in another capacity a while ago too, but not like this.

Wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't come back, but I haven't checked forward yet.

Xenirina

Scener
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, for those who have noticed, DS-Scene is dead at the moment.
We're still here, but it's just taking time to renew the site as retro is off in fairy land.

I'll notify you lot when it's back up.
And then I'll post all the missing releases etc. I have a massive backlog.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Xenirina

Scener
Trophies
XP
Country
Back onto the topic... WE'RE STILL ALIVE!
retro seems to be away and he hasn't renewed the domain.

For now, I'll post everything on the Wii.DS-Scene site of things, and then just move it all across when we get back online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Speedcum
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I mean what would you really need that fast for tho, 500mb streams 4k fine. 1gb should be fine for 8k eventually. That's what I just switched to Spermrum.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I was funny to have both networks running lol
    It was cheaper lol
    The only reason I switched was $$$
    Might have only been like 7 bucks but thats like 84 dollars at the end of the year lol
    840 dollars after 10 years
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hope I can be rich enough to pay all bills annually someday
    +2
    Not that I will save the money, rather I will just spend it on other crap lol
    lol just do autopay it's as lazy as it gets
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 tell uremum to start charging, then you keep the money
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I charge your wife rent at this point
    +1
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get crackin'
    Well hmm got that Eeros 6+ router working so no need for a new one for now lol
    Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!