Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

Pkmnbongocat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hello, is there any way to fix this issue?
IMG20231203191447.jpg

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RocketRobz

How does TWiLight Menu++ handle homebrew .nds files? Do they still need to pass through nds-bootsrap?
No, those are booted directly.
On the DSi/3DS SD card, old DS mode homebrew are booted through nds-bootstrap.
On the flashcard, you can turn off direct boot in order to use the flashcard kernel to boot the homebrew.

Reactions: stl25

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is because of the DLDI driver being incompatible with the ARM7 CPU. This can be worked around by using a Memory Expansion Pak on a DS or DS Lite.
I got the Memory Expansion Pak and my R4 SDHC will load TWiLight Menu but any game I attempt to load white screens. Do you have to use the flashcard loader with this card?

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you do. The flashcard loader for your flashcard is YSMenu.
I suspected. Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

@RocketRobz,

I got it working but only after replacing the autoboot default.nds file with a duplicate of the BOOT.NDS file renamed as DEFAULT.NDS. Not sure why that is, but otherwise my DS Lite would white screen attempting to load into TWiLight Menu. I even started from a fresh install of TWiLight Menu to verify.

Edit: May have spoken to soon. I think I need a copy of YSMenu.nds on the microSD root. Will report back. Thank you.

Edit 2: Even with YSMenu installed still white screen with the autoboot default.nds provided in the latest release. Using the standard BOOT.NDS renamed to DEFAULT.NDS does work.

Edit 3: While I can respect the fact that TWiLight Menu works for the R4 SDHC, just running YSMenu as a standalone is much faster and less hacky feeling that TWiLight Menu (each time a game loads debug text is displayed on the upper screen and YSMenu standalone does not require the Memory Expansion Pak). I was determined to get TWiLight Menu to work on all my carts and in that regard I have succeeded but for this cart I think YSMenu is simply the way to go. Thank again for your support and your amazing project.

Last edited by stl25,
Reactions: RocketRobz

just-ero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, I'm using TWiLight Menu to try and play some DS games.

Spectrobes is entirely stuck on `Creating save file...`. Closing and opening the lid did not help.

Skate It does load, but is stuck on white screens after.

What can I try? Is there more info I can provide?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes there is. It's pink, and filled all the way (as I would interpret it). There is also a DS loading icon to the right of it. Also in pink and moving clockwise.
Does the same issue occur when you launch it again? If so, how much space is left on the SD card?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by RocketRobz,

just-ero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Your ROM is probably corrupted then. Try re-dumping it from your cartridge.

Skate It also worked after retrying. Appreciate the help.

I've made some changes to my SD card layout for my ROMs. I now have them in a hierarchy like `sd:/_roms/nds/Aa`, `sd:/_roms/nds/Bb`, etc. Each of these directories also has a `saves` folder.

Now when I launch a game (any game), I get stuck on the white screen. This goes for games which previously worked. I am launching from TWiLight Menu, so it's not a forwarder issue.

Perhaps of note: the games do get past the initial `Creating save file...` screen (some show an NDS-BOOTSTRAP screen saying `Please wait...`) and after subsequent launches, briefly show a `Now Saving...` screen, which then goes to the mentioned white screen. Again, these are games which worked prior.

Things I've tried now:
  • redownload TWiLight Menu from Universial Updater
  • rename `_roms` back to `roms`
  • move a game (Spectrobes) from `sd:/roms/nds/Ss` to `sd:/roms/nds` and create `sd:/roms/nds/saves`
None of these worked; the games still get stuck on the white screen.

Last edited by just-ero,
Reactions: RocketRobz

KintsugiUwU

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, just wanted to check a thing. 3 years ago I played Pokemon Black on a New 2DS XL, with TwilightMenu, with C-Gear turned on. It ran flawless and to my eye 100% speed. Today I wanted to complete the dex so I grabbed my save file and rom and put it on a DSi XL, latest version of twilightmenu. As you can see () now the game runs considerably slow, also compared to the white DSi with original cartridge. If I turn off the C-Gear it gets a bit better, like 95%. Is there a problem on my DSi XL compared to my N2DSXL?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, just wanted to check a thing. 3 years ago I played Pokemon Black on a New 2DS XL, with TwilightMenu, with C-Gear turned on. It ran flawless and to my eye 100% speed. Today I wanted to complete the dex so I grabbed my save file and rom and put it on a DSi XL, latest version of twilightmenu. As you can see () now the game runs considerably slow, also compared to the white DSi with original cartridge. If I turn off the C-Gear it gets a bit better, like 95%. Is there a problem on my DSi XL compared to my N2DSXL?

Any wireless feature now makes reading from the SD card slow, in order to prevent errors when using such features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.