Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
September will revive my DS for the better especially with Heart Gold and Idolmaster: Dearly Stars coming out even though I have Idolmaster SP for the PSP with $180 US worth of fun downloadable content which pretty much gives me hours of gameplay and customization. It's not dead you need to find what you like and take it from there.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
freshness said:
personally i looking foward to 20th october, because on that day marvel hero squad will be released, maybe an alternative to JUS...and if that game is nearly awesome like JUS, then there is a reason for me to turn on my wife again...
fix'd

also im gonna use my irc powers here

* EMKais slaps deka01 around a bit with a large trout.

deka01

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
shinkukage09 did you even try to understand what i was saying. What i was trying to say was that they were awesome games for the snes and nes and by porting them and pumping up the graphics a bunch that they would retain the same quality that they had in there heyday.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
why is DS gaming dead? i don't think so!

There are tons of interesting release from now till the end of year for Japan. Some of those games were not even covered in Gran's posts
smile.gif
When those games get ported/localised for U/Eu release that would be next year
smile.gif

Remember how crazy March was? thats because quite a number of J release was ported to U/Eu
smile.gif

the same trend will carry on
smile.gif

another point would be.. if DS gaming is dead!
why are companies like Square Enix, Level 5 keep bringing out surprises for us?
Square Enix is averaging a game for each month since May till October
smile.gif

Level 5 is introducing a 512MB game to us! yes is 512 MEGABYTES! not bits
smile.gif

so i will assume there would be more and more games in future using 512MB cartridge
smile.gif

that means games that will be filled with a lot more with contents
smile.gif

Oh ya, Level 5 had just announce that they will bring in a brand new major release for next year
smile.gif

if i have the time for DS, i will assure you that my xbox360 and ps3 will continue collecting dust until something NEW is out! don't you feel that they do have tons of FPS/Action packed games for xbox360 and ps3? won't people get bored? head shot head shot head shot! bam bam bam!! die die die...!

basically remakes are for money making! Is a trend that we can't stop!
It is because we do get old and each year there will be a new wave of young gamers
smile.gif

remakes are targeting on them + fans
smile.gif

personally, i hate remakes! Those remakes i have seen on DS is what i used to play!
maybe i am that old or i was lucky to have the time to play all of them from NES / SFC!
however, sometimes replaying them gives me another feel/view

for example, DQ5
when i was young i remember the game was shit and we are condemning how come the graphic suck big time! each phrase would have the dot dot dot noise. However, my bro and i still manage to finish the game! The remake from DS just give me a different feel! nostalgic feel
smile.gif

i just read one of the post made by PV that i strongly agree with
PharaohsVizier said:
You know, one of the arguments used pretty often is that the PSP has a lot of PS2 remakes and stuff. I'm not sure there are enough people out there that have played all the PS2 games to make that a valid argument. I actually never owned a PS2 (man I chose the wrong consoles, Gamecube and then XBOX), so I'm fine with remakes.

That being said, I have less and less time to play through whole entire RPGs, which is why I've been siding with the DS and it's party games, the pick em up games, you know Tetris, Picross, Brain Age, etc, nice fun games that you can put down at a moment's notice.

I mean the PSP is also great, I've picked it up to play some Resistance Retribution lately, but I have to sink a lot of time in it, and lately, I just can't put all that time in. The PSP has quite a few games that I desperately want to play and beat, but I haven't had the chance to. (Although the same can be said for the DS)

Anyways, I don't think anyone can argue that the DS has better games for you to pick up, enjoy for a quick session and put it down, which is what I am looking for nowadays.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not really waiting for anything right now on the DS, new professor layton just came out and beat it already...
now wait till next year till new ace attorney and pokemon gold/remake to show up

PSP is having a bit of interesting games coming out in the next few months though that should keep me busy, for the rest of the year
gran turismo, silent hill shattered memories, tekken 6, soul calibur broken destiny, assassins creed bloodlines, little big planet psp, gta chinatown wars, socom fireteam bravo 3
mgs peace walker would have been icing on the cake, but you need something for next year
tongue.gif
(and resident evil psp + kingdom hearts birth by sleep)

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
don't think any of those consoles are dead anyway
i mean i got game that i wait on ds and i get games that i wait on psp, meaning they are not both dead, well at least to me, i like rpg and never get bored of them, and no i think psp is equal to ds, yes many of you will try to burn me for this, but yes i think they are equal, maybe you only like games that is bloody and with guts splaterred everywhere and thinks "ooh that guys head come off , this game is fuckin cool" on the other side we got people who go like this "pssh i need my brain to play this game, this game is cool, and it's full of features"

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
clegion said:
i mean i got game that i wait on ds and i get games that i wait on psp, meaning they are not both dead, well at least to me, i like rpg and never get bored of them, and no i think psp is equal to ds, yes many of you will try to burn me for this, but yes i think they are equal, maybe you only like games that is bloody and with guts splaterred everywhere and thinks "ooh that guys head come off , this game is fuckin cool" on the other side we got people who go like this "pssh i need my brain to play this game, this game is cool, and it's full of features"

i am not going to burn you but asking you why would you say they are equal?
in what terms they are equal (you can skip the touch screen and what psp offers part)

i was asking for the sake of understanding how others think/view not questioning nor intending to flame

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm only looking forward to SMT:Strange Journey, and DQ9 US, with a pitchfork handy in case Golden Sun DS turns out to be disappointment (DON'T YOU DARE, NINTENDO).
Other than that most upcoming titles are just "not for me", which, according to the TC, is synonymous for "DS gaming is dead!!!".

Different strokes for different folks. And it's not the first time the DS has had a SLOOOOOOOOOOW streak concerning good games.
But it IS somewhat disheartening to see no new "good" games coming up*, while the 8 most recent pages of releases contain only shovelware and quality edutainment titles**.

*according to whatever the reader's personal preference is.
**There is no such thing as quality edutainment. It's all shovelware.

elixirdream said:
clegion said:

in what terms they are equal (you can skip the touch screen and what psp offers part)

i was asking for the sake of understanding how others think/view not questioning nor intending to flame

Because they're both handhelds. Handhelds with videogames. There's not really any way for two things to be more equal.

deka01 said:
Ok i see im getting a lot of heat from this thread but on the flip side there are only two people who actually make a decent argument and those are granville and Guild McCommunist the rest of you don't argue the point at all.

Funny how that happens with a title like "DS gaming dead???" and a yes/no poll.

QUOTE(deka01 @ Aug 30 2009, 01:07 AM)
I feel that it isn't so much the games that are dead but more so the quality EG. Summon Night 1-2 were awsome games but the ones they released for ds were god awful and as to ff 3/4 no snes or nes games should ever be overhauled and ported the felt like a poor attempt to bring back the good final fantasy's seeing as after 10 they just died.
Didn't see the next megeman release but that your be good 3 was 1 and 2 not so much.
DBZ Attack of the Saiyans i didn't know about but OMG it Looks awesome.

Welcome to opinionland, first stop; EVERYBODY ON THE INTERNET.
Look at this game;
Avalon Code; hyped a bit. Had innovative gameplay (outside of combat), excellent 3D graphics (for a DS title).
In the end; combat was so shitty, and the rest of the game was so mediocre, that I only really played it to see the next beautiful cut-scene. Sure, the fairies were AWESOME, but breaking gameflow every 2 seconds to thumb to and fro in that fucking book was SUCH a shame. Also, fucking dungeons were total bullshit.

Some would call it a great game, others would call it boring. I simply see something that could have been awesome, but fell a bit short.

Most devs simply don't push the DS to it's limit. They take shitty 2D, or shitty 3D, or both, with bland gameplay and throw it out there, because they CAN, and because the fans will stand for it. The nintendo crowd simply doesn't really mind standing in a rain of piss, as long a lump of gold hits them in the head every now and again.

See, the PSP crowd? They don't stand for none of that. No sir! "Shitty 3D? WEEEEE'Ve got a stronger machine than those *snort* Nintendo kids, heh heh. 2D? Lol that's so last millenium. We DEMAND good 3D."
Result? PSP has no games.

There's so much fun to be had analysing this subject and discussing it, but it won't happen in this thread.

Zanonymous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If no one can name at least 10 games for DS then yeah it's dead. Consoles and the PC are getting a hell of a lot of great games in the upcoming time compared to handhelds.

Besides.....handhelds should die. The only reason they ever existed was for people in Japan who had nothing to do on trains or other traveling methods. But everyone else has cars which they drive...and basically to play handhelds you're mainly playing them at home, where you can play consoles instead. So maybe it's a good thing.

That doesn't mean I'm not playing DS anymore, though. Of course not!
rolleyes.gif

I still have a ton of games to play, I've played it earlier today, I'm just saying right now it's been quite the drought.

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
elixirdream said:
clegion said:

let's say it like this, this is my only opinion, i am mainly an rpg player and have played little of anything else, but i can say this both ds and the psp is good in their own way, that is for playing game that I like which is mainly rpg, really you can't say if one console has more rpg than the other it's better, no, it's the quality of the rpg that we seek, there are good numbers of good rpg in both handheld,both offers remake and new games, ds got ff3-4 and dragon quest, psp got breath of fire 3, tales series, and the ability to play psx, therefore i think they are equal in my opinion only

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
if only they release game for each region the same time then there won't be any drought ...

JDandy,
It is reasonable
smile.gif

clegion,
i am also a RPG gamer. if thats the case i feel the same
smile.gif

but the only thing i don't like RPG for DS is the storyline tend to be a little short!
DQ9 was awfully short! i didn't even use cheats and i just whack my way till ending!
however, it was really a great game!

Veristical Blaze

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintendo is busy with making a new handheld. The DSi is seen by most of the people as a new handheld, but the way i see things Nintendo made the DSi to stretch time before they release their new handheld they wanted to make the best profits out of the DS and another thing if they release a new handheld and a publisher/manufacturer is busy with a making big game, they might get angry and abondan their game making Nintendo fans less happy. The way they putted the DSi on market was also in a very commercial way, totally not like when the DSL came there. Soo my point is DS gaming is dead yes, but Nintendo hopes to use some remedy to make its lifelength as long as possible that way it looks for ninty fans like its still alive and there are good games coming to the DS(L/i)

clegion

Trophies
Website
cfatalis.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
elixirdream said:
if only they release game for each region the same time then there won't be any drought ...

JDandy,
It is reasonable
smile.gif

clegion,
i am also a RPG gamer
smile.gif

if thats the case i feel the same
smile.gif

but the only thing i don't like RPG for DS is the storyline tend to be a little short!
DQ9 was awefully short! i didn't even use cheats and i just whack my way till ending
really?, i remembered some being quite long, maybe because i was digging for story bits everywhere, i just hope ds got less shovelware and psp got decent game, translated (believe me psp got shovelware too)

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Veristical Blaze said:
Nintendo is busy with making a new handheld. The DSi is seen by most of the people as a new handheld, but the way i see things Nintendo made the DSi to stretch time before they release their new handheld they wanted to make the best profits out of the DS and another thing if they release a new handheld and a publisher/manufacturer is busy with a making big game, they might get angry and abondan their game making Nintendo fans less happy. The way they putted the DSi on market was also in a very commercial way, totally not like when the DSL came there. Soo my point is DS gaming is dead yes, but Nintendo hopes to use some remedy to make its lifelength as long as possible that way it looks for ninty fans like its still alive and there are good games coming to the DS(L/i)

Except that in that case they would have released Spirit Tracks and the new Golden Sun on the NEW handheld, instead of the DS. Whatever. I just hope Nintendo gets a change of management or goes bankrupt. I just can't stand watching them flood the market with shit.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maz7006 said:
wtf.gif

Have you even seen the releases coming up ?

Have you seen the releases already released?

Take a look at page 1;
DS #4126: Aliens In The Attic (Europe)
DS #4123: Hoshizora Navi (Japan)
DS #4122: Sudoku Ball: Detective *MULTi6* (Europe)
DS #4121: Puzzle Kingdoms *MULTi5* (Europe)
DS #4120: HMH Vokabeltrainer: Französisch (Germany)
DS #4119: GEOLino: PowerQuiz (Germany)
DS #4118: Backgammon (Germany)
DS #4117: UP (Europe)
DS #4116: My Dress-Up (USA)
DS #4115: Shorts (USA)
DS #4114: Motto Me de Unou o Kitaeru DS: Sokudoku Jutsu (Japan)
DS #4113: Wizards of Waverly Place (USA)
DS #4111: Successfully Learning Mathematics (Europe)
DS #4110: Fushigi Yuugi DS (Japan)
DS #4109: Live Battle Card: Live-On DS (Japan)
DS #4108: Gamehits (Europe)
DS #4107: Akogare Girls Collection - Suteki ni Nurse Days (Japan)
DS #4106: C.O.R.E. (USA)
DS #4105: Oshaberi Oumu (Japan)
DS #4103: Imagine: Soccer Captain (USA)
DS #4104: Fossil Fighters (USA)

You want these?
DO YOU LIKE THE WIZARDS OF WAVERLY PALACE?
DO YOU NEED HELP LEARNING SOME MATHS, YO?

I don't care about future games, about some shining star shrouded in hype and conjecture.
All I see is 4000+ releases, with a 90% ratio of liquid sewage.

QUOTE(elixirdream @ Aug 30 2009, 11:50 AM) JDandy,
LOL! guess what! we said the same thing

this was 2 days ago on IRC

01[20:27] DS = sholveware collection
01[20:27] 4000 scene release
01[20:27] 3900 shovel release
01[20:28] 50 good release
[20:28] well tbh there are also some great games
01[20:28] 40 great release
[20:28] which are too short
01[20:28] 10 classic release

You said it better, though XD

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
JDandy,
LOL! guess what! we said the same thing
this was 2 days ago on IRC

01[20:27] DS = sholveware collection
01[20:27] 4000 scene release
01[20:27] 3900 shovel release
01[20:28] 50 good release
[20:28] well tbh there are also some great games
01[20:28] 40 great release
[20:28] which are too short
01[20:28] 10 classic release

EDIT: i was a little exaggerating on the amount of shovel wares but .....

clegion said:
elixirdream said:

JDandy,
It is reasonable
smile.gif

clegion,
i am also a RPG gamer
smile.gif

if thats the case i feel the same
smile.gif

DQ9 was awefully short! i didn't even use cheats and i just whack my way till ending
really?, i remembered some being quite long, maybe because i was digging for story bits everywhere, i just hope ds got less shovelware and psp got decent game, translated (believe me psp got shovelware too)

if you are going for the GRINDING part is always a YES
smile.gif

but if you are going for the STORY part is mostly NO for me
the same applies to DQ9
the grinding part for forging equipments would be time consuming
the treasure map for treasure hunting or level99 boss is fun

true true..there are shovelwares for PSP
tongue.gif

i hate those AVG games! they could be 1 GB but inside the game is just chunk of text + image

sgwiiboy

Trophies
XP
Country
DS gaming is far from dead. There are plenty of good titles due for release which people have listed already, so I won't list them again.

I think the main point to consider here though is not whether anyone does or does not like the titles due for release, that's irrelevant and just a matter of opinion. The fact is that over a 100 million units have been sold and there are still 6 million people a year purchasing a DS. No game publishers are going to ignore the huge potential sales DS games. We may not like the shovelware but with 100 million consoles out there, everyone has to be catered for, there are always going to be games we are not keen on but not everything is shovelware for kids or brain games for "non-gamers". The success of Chinatown Wars proves that there is space and a demand in the DS market for more "adult" games and that will not be ignored because making games is about making money.

I myself only got a DS for the first time 3 months ago, I am a huge fan of RPG's and I love the amount of this type of game I can get on the DS. Like I said, you can't please everyone all of the time but the market is just too huge for the DS to be dead.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
deka01 said:
In the next year all there seems to be is pokemon, golden sun and kingdom hearts

I don't think Golden Sun, at least the English version, will be appearing in the next year. Camelot says summer 2010 for the Japanese version, and if their past track record is any indication we won't be seeing the English version until early to mid 2011.

Hopefully there will still be a DS at that point. Considering how early this game is in development I wouldn't be even a tiny bit surprised to see this wind up on the next generation handheld.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?