DS #2350: New International Track & Field (Europe)

Kenji1985

Trophies
XP
Country
Goloki said:
Mmmmm... so, it's minigames, but sport-themed? I think I'll pass on this one.
It's a TRACK & FIELD , not only minigames sport-themed!!
tongue.gif

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think that the classic arcade version is there to be unlocked.

It says in the rom, Play the classic six events from the original arcade!

Goloki

Proud TX Suporter... LOL!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kenji1985 said:
Goloki said:
It's a TRACK & FIELD , not only minigames sport-themed!!
tongue.gif

BlueStar said:
QUOTE(Goloki @ Jun 11 2008, 01:36 PM)

Wash your mouth out!

I am sorry you didn't like my comment, but you have no right to shut me up. I've seen the screens, seen the trailer, and it looks like Mario & Sonic: a minigame collection with a sports theme. Is there anything wrong about me not thinking it's gonna be good? Fine, then explain to me why it is good... but, come on, "wash your mouth"? You've gone too far
lecture.gif

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Track and Field is a classic game from the 80s which defined the genre, saying that it's a "Like Mario and Sonic, minigames with a sports theme" is a bit like saying posting in the Wii Zelda thread saying "So, from the screenshots this is a platformer like Ratchet and Clank with a medieval theme"

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goloki said:
That's it! I'm starting my videogame history lessons.

Nah screw it I'll let wiki do it:
"Track & Field is the name of a series of Olympic themed video games developed by Konami for several platforms since 1983.

The first title, simply called Track & Field (Hyper Olympic outside the United States) was released in 1983 as an arcade game. The simple gameplay, based on quick, repeating, button presses set the basics for sequels and similar games in the genre for the next decades. There were several home versions of the original; note that the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC versions were only released as part of the Game, Set and Match II compilation in 1988, and are poorly regarded by fans [1] and [2]. The NES version was especially well-received and big-selling."

And on to this one:

Konami is celebrating the 25th anniversary of T&F games and its decided to chuck in some of its characters from its long history of games. So far announced are: Sparkster from Rocket Knight Adventures, Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2, Evil Rose from Rumble Roses, Frogger from erm Frogger, Simon Belmont from Castlevania, Oolong from Yie Ar Kung-Fu, and Pentaro from Parodius as well as some characters made just for the game.

There are 24 events & features single player career and training modes in addition to Wi-Fi multi-player between 2 to 4 players, a character-based mini-game challenge mode and a worldwide player ranking system.

The original Track and Field game is also be available to play, but you'll have to unlock it but apparently its the same one that was on Konami's Arcade Classics. The gameplay of New International Track & Field differs from the traditional button mashing and joystick-wiggling gameplay of the original games in that players use the motion of the stylus to set a rhythm for their character. In addition, the game will also feature uses for the DS' dual screens and microphone.

I enjoyed this game a lot more than Sonic & Mario but I do wish there was just button controls as well as as stylus. Unlocked several events and those ones were mostly better & more varied than the ones at the start. Only Konami character I recognised that you can chooses straight away is Oolong from Yie Ar Kung Fu, the rest you'll have to unlock.

So far I'd give it 7/10 for single player but 8/10 for multiplayer, me and the Mrs enjoyed this a lot.

plasmatron

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Add button controlls, and get rid of stupid comic themes.

Best Track And Field was on PSX. My fingers still hurt, but this was a real challange on the good old PSX.. Stylus controlls suck ass !

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Screenshots

Just grabbed it, doesn't look like I'll try it though.
I'd rather play Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, by the lookss of those screenshots.

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
plasmatron said:
Add button controlls, and get rid of stupid comic themes.

Best Track And Field was on PSX. My fingers still hurt, but this was a real challange on the good old PSX.. Stylus controlls suck ass !

Try looking first, you can change to button only in the options menu.

JPH, screens don't do it justice, games animation is really nice and fluid.

moo422

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hadrian said:
Goloki said:
That's it! I'm starting my videogame history lessons.

Nah screw it I'll let wiki do it:
"Track & Field is the name of a series of Olympic themed video games developed by Konami for several platforms since 1983.

The first title, simply called Track & Field (Hyper Olympic outside the United States) was released in 1983 as an arcade game. The simple gameplay, based on quick, repeating, button presses set the basics for sequels and similar games in the genre for the next decades. There were several home versions of the original; note that the ZX Spectrum and Amstrad CPC versions were only released as part of the Game, Set and Match II compilation in 1988, and are poorly regarded by fans [1] and [2]. The NES version was especially well-received and big-selling."

Anybody remember Summer Games, Winter Games, and California Games on the C64? Or am I badly aging myself here?

But it's an interesting point, that Mario Party, Carnival Games, etc, this generation's so-called "mini-game genre" are spiritual successors to the old button-mash/button-timing sports Games from EPYX/Konami. Hmm, the arcade TRON game was a mini-game collection too, in its own way, depending on one's definition of "mini-games".

BTW, the original Track & Field was also available on the DS Konami Arcade Classics collection.

Edit: Also, Sports Jam for Arcade/Dreamcast was the best multi-sport collection in recent memory. Not quite as easy to pick up as Wii Sports, and but great for intense competitive play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    mthrnite @ mthrnite: and old ass prog like atomic rooster and gentle giant