Hacking Doom 3 Source released, chances of a Wii port?

T.Kuranari

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question (which most likely is), but as many of you know (or don't know yet) id Software recently released the source code of Doom 3 under the GPL v3 license (link). I'm curious whether it's possible to make a Wii port. I know the Wii doesn't have enough power to render the game, but what if one optimizes the game big time specifically for the Wii so that it becomes playable? :)

Reactions: 1 person

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would be doable minus some of the complex effects like advanced lighting and/or shadows. I hear dhewg knows the code pretty well...

Category

Trainee Romhacker
Trophies
Website
masseffectzero.blogspot.co.uk
XP
Country
It would require so much modification to get it to run that I don't think anyone will consider it worth their time.

Directly for the Wii, it would. But Linux devs will probably port it to work completely with OpenGL like every other id engine has been.

Then from an OpenGL version to a Wii version is a much smaller step to take. But it would still be a long time until a wii release.

T.Kuranari

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would be doable minus some of the complex effects like advanced lighting and/or shadows. I hear dhewg knows the code pretty well...

That's good to hear. Do you know if dhewg at least played with the thought of porting it to the Wii or did he just look at the source for the fun of it? :)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm just curious...are you being cynical or not?
(no offense...I really can't tell)

Doom 3 was all about being in the dark with just having a flashlight. By removing the lighting and shadows, wouldn't that just suck all the tension out of the game?

(@ficarra1002: I agree with you...doom 1 & 2 were far more fun that that game that was doom in pretty much nothing but the name).

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious...are you being cynical or not?
(no offense...I really can't tell)

Doom 3 was all about being in the dark with just having a flashlight. By removing the lighting and shadows, wouldn't that just suck all the tension out of the game?

(@ficarra1002: I agree with you...doom 1 & 2 were far more fun that that game that was doom in pretty much nothing but the name).
a "nothing but the name" comparison would be like the Resident evil games and the movies. But Doom 3 I feel had enough influence from the first two and was a decently scary and startling experience. Though it took me years to complete it since it's so boring

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country

...By removing the lighting and shadows, wouldn't that just suck all the tension out of the game?

He wasnt actually say to remove the lightning and shadows, he said to remove the advanced lightning and shadows. I remember having to use a hack for the leaked beta that came out like 2 years before launch to disable those effects, and it was still pretty much the same as the final titel.

DRS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sort of useless bump of thread. But here it goes.

I think a port is interesting, but instead of worrying about graphics, start worrying about memory requirment. Linux version of Doom needs 256MB RAM to run. How to fit such a chunk of data in 24MB SRAM and 52MB available DRAM on the Wii? Simple answer: you can''t!

As for graphics, easy parts:
- per pixel light attenuation can be done using either 2D or pseudo 3D texture,
- diffuse and specular normal mapping can be emulated by a 2D algorithm in TEV indirect texture unit
- and stencil shadows can be done by using RGB6 framebuffer and render to alpha buffer.

hard parts:
- Wii doesn't really support cube maps (would be very slow), so other kind of projection must be programmed.
- Disadvantage of rendering to alpha is that the buffer has to be exported to texture first before it can be used to perform stencil compares. It also requires an additional texgen to calculate projected point on stencil texture. Exporting stencils for 8 lights at 25fps in 640x480 takes about 61Mpix/sec and then 61MTexels/sec to use them. A good percentage of the wii's total fillrate (thus gpu cycles).
- Need compression to reduce the amount of texture memory needed
- It's a damn 3GB game.... It will be slow from SD card

Porting the XBox version would be a lot easier I guess. It's already suited to 64MB of RAM and low end GPU/CPU. However, a complete team was assigned to do that, not one or two homebrew coders. I might give it a try once other people have downed the memory footprint a little:) Besides, TenebraeGX is fun to finish too.

Reactions: 4 people

DRS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My Tenebrae port currently can't even load all default Quake textures and (generated) normal maps. Most quake textures are 64x64. I already ditched mipmapping, downsized model lerping and shadow caches, maximum lights per map and maximum active lights per frame. If I could use the complete 64MB of DRAM somehow it would help a lot.

Therefore, really, downsizing the textures and models does reduce mem requirements a lot as you say, but it most likely won't be enough; my guess is that Doom uses at least 128MB texture cache and 128MB for map, shadow polygons cache, model caches, program code etc. Since Doom animates the model's vertex meshes, I guess models don't use much memory anyway (Quake models use a mesh per pose which requires much more memory) . So downsizing textures and models would likely still require >80MB of total memory. I guess the XBox version ditches more stuff than people credit it for.

I think the proper way to go for a simple port would be downscaling all textures, bring it back to it's essence (basically resembling Quake with portal culling instead of PVS culling) and then see how much memory is left for shadowing and normalmaps. Will be a long way to travel!

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you know PowerPC well enough you could implement virtual memory, using a file on the NAND or SD as backing storage (USB is possible too but would be slow). It wouldn't really be usable for textures but could hold everything else.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries