Hacking does waninkoko's 4.0 and 4.1 updater brick wii's?

pigii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
its basically in the title, do the waninkoko updater apps brick wii's now that the 4.2 update is out?
also what about cIOS38 rev14 installer - does the netwrok install on that brick wii's?

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oh no another thread for this. please do read the stickies. this issue is being discussed there already. but just to answer your question briefly. it depends on how you use the installer. if you read and follow instructions carefully indicated on the guides definitely you'll be fine.

edit: btw use the search engine please. thanks. and please do read this: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=163642

pigii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sorry - i did look in the stickies but they all just said run the app from the HBC and the downloads didnt come with any wads so i just wanted to double check
again really sorry
frown.gif

pigii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
okay im still confused,
i think i need to do everything offline now the stubs are out but i cant find an offline updater pack, do you know where i can get one?

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So use that guide, but instead of 4.2 system menu install 4.1 system menu. And instead of 4.2 ios's get 4.1 ios's.

PS: there's no reason to not go to 4.2 when using safe update method. It wont touch boot2 and wont touch cIOS's and won't install stubs.

erikk1

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Im not sure which IOS versions were in 4.1 exactly. I think it's all the same as 4.2 except IOS60 instead of IOS 70. Or maybe 61 as well. Not sure. I would just follow the guide to 4.2. There's no problems with 4.2 if you use safe update method.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actual statistics from [email protected] reports: bugs in Waninkoko's up/downgraders caused 31% of unfixable bricks, and the inexcusable lack of warnings/sanity checks in WAD Manager caused a further 40%. That means Waninkoko can be directly blamed for 71% of "black screen" permanent bricks, or 48 actual reported cases.

If I had to guess, considering these are incidental reports and this isn't some sort of "black brick hotline", I'd estimate Waninkoko can be blamed for bricking over 200-400 Wiis out there, considering the relative popularity of warez mods.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan_troll said:
Actual statistics from [email protected] reports: bugs in Waninkoko's up/downgraders caused 31% of unfixable bricks, and the inexcusable lack of warnings/sanity checks in WAD Manager caused a further 40%. That means Waninkoko can be directly blamed for 71% of "black screen" permanent bricks, or 48 actual reported cases.

If I had to guess, considering these are incidental reports and this isn't some sort of "black brick hotline", I'd estimate Waninkoko can be blamed for bricking over 200-400 Wiis out there, considering the relative popularity of warez mods.

So you're gonna pull out a bunch of bullshit statistics to go smear one of the best Wii hackers around? Nice fucking job.

Waninkoko, firstly, states that he is NOT responsible for any damage done by his applications. He doesn't work for Nintendo. He isn't able to do everything the safe and sure-cut way. But if it wasn't for him, Wii hacking as it is today would be considerably more limited.

Secondly, most of these so called "bricks" are from people NOT reading directions, doing something wrong, and thusly fucking up their Wii.

Third, most bricks are caused by idiot noobs trying to install some stupid Naruto theme on their Wii or just fiddling around with what they shouldn't be fiddling with.

Thanks for the useless post, though, marcan.

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Wad Manager is like good ole' DOS. It didn't ask you questions if you typed DEL system.com it just did it.

FORMAT C:

Are you sure? Y/N

Y

frown.gif

I am not aware of any alternate apps that will perform the same function as Wad Manager however.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently you don't know how to read.

31% are caused by BUGS in Waninkoko's up/downgaders. Guaranteed users-did-nothing-wrong bricks. Attributable completely and exclusively to Waninkoko's poor actual understanding of the Wii, lack of interest in safety, tendency to release as soon as possible, and lack of drive to understand the Wii's internals. All he wants is to release as soon and as quickly as possible for fame and profit.

Just in case you don't know of the other statistics, I'm still not aware of a single case of a Wii being bricked by HBC in its entire history.

Then, 40% are caused by WAD Manager's inexcusable lack of even trivial sanity checks. By this I mean people overwriting/removing their System Menu or its IOS. Although this is obviously user error, there is still NO excuse whatsoever for a program to blindly remove critical system components without a big fat warning. Sorry, those aren't acceptable standards in any sane software ecosystem.

Bricks caused by idiots trying to mod their Wii system menus are NOT included in that statistic. I'm counting only bricks caused by wanky's bugs (first metric), and bricks caused by honest-to-goodness newbs who are doing something reasonable (yet incorrect), such as attempting to uninstall an IOS mod by deleting the relevant WADs (second metric). I don't blame wanky for the morons installing Naruto themes, only for not making the slightest bit of effort towards informing users of the actual consequences of performing certain actions in WAD Manager.

Of course Waninkoko has disclaimers on his apps, just as we all do, for legal reasons. The difference is when I worked on HBC and the BootMii install process, I spent weeks investigating possible failure cases and making it as safe as possible. Waninkoko does not. It's not about being legally responsible, just about not being a complete dick regarding your users' safety. Wanky doesn't even try. Hell, bushing and I realized that Nintendo's boot2 upgrade process is buggy and unreliable, and actually developed a safer version. That makes our code better than Nintendo's. There no inherent reason why wanky's code has to be inferior, other than his incompetence.

Finally, you're confusing "good" with "prolific". Waninkoko releases a lot of shit. Shit, as in crap. Sure, it might work, sometimes, but half the time he doesn't really know how things work. Of the commonly-known crowd, warez-supporting or not, he's one of the worst. I have no trouble admitting that WiiGator certainly knows how to develop a respectable IOS patch, or that Hermes is quite capable of figuring out how IOS's internals work, or that kwiirk can write an EHCI driver that, thogh ugly, works. Waninkoko can barely read/write assembly language, has such a hard time reading it that he doesn't even attempt to learn anything but the bare minimum, and is quite good at using shrink-wrapped API functions, copying and pasting other people's code, and also "forgetting" about software licenses. This is not just my opinion, it has been confirmed by people who have worked with him on projects, such as Kwiirk. This whole Wii thing is way above his head, but he limps along by taking most of his work from other people and shortening his development cycle to a miserable length in order to appear "good", because of course "fast" means "good". "OMG, Wanky released an upgrader 3 days after the update! He's so good!" Even the best developers are incapable of figuring out all the details, corner cases, and problems caused by an upgrade in 3 days, and Wanky's attitude just proves that he didn't do the required research.

Sorry, Waninkoko's reputation comes solely for his ability to disregard all issues and release crappy warez tools in the shortest possible timeframe. I suggest you look for people who (gasp) take longer time to produce better tools for both your warez and non-warez needs. Wanky doesn't give a shit about you, he just wants you to use his tools and watch his banners so he gets paid his share by Teknoconsolas and company. By the way, if you need proof of just how actually useless Wanky is, consider that Tuconsola, modchip seller/maker associated with Teknoconsolas, wanky's sponsor, contacted ME to attempt to hire me to produce DSi flashcarts (I declined). Looks like wanky isn't good enough even for his sponsor.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a wad manager release of some kind that addresses those issues. The thing's been out long enough and is open source from what I'm aware, as there are mods of it for folder support, GCN controller support, etc.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
I'm surprised that there hasn't been a wad manager release of some kind that addresses those issues. The thing's been out long enough and is open source from what I'm aware, as there are mods of it for folder support, GCN controller support, etc.

I've always wondered the same thing.Why not have some check inside wad manager that can check your system menu firmware and then block the ios file it uses from being deleted.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't want it to block anything from being deleted, but it definitely would be a good thing for it to at least tell you how dumb you are before letting you go through with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: