Not open for further replies.

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just played Mario Galaxy, on my tv in full 1080p, with the above moga controller.

This is a rom on my device. Im not referring to moonlight or streaming.

We also apparently have an emulator coming up called "Cassia" that will integrate steam support on your phone. A redmagic high end is running Cyberpunk 2077. A Snapdragon 860 is playing Titanfall 2 at 77 fps in mobox.

Last edited by TimmyP,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not wrong. I have a samsung edge s7 and use it only for messages and calls and a bit of browsing and stuff. I have retroarch on it but I won't use touch controls and I don't have a controller grip or anything. I play on the dozens of other pieces of hardware I own but maybe when I upgrade my phone I'll take a closer look. I've got retroarch set up on plenty of devices.

Your video above runs like shit though?

Last edited by isoboy,

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main reason I post this, is because I was really into og emutalk and gbatemp, modded xbox, 360 (cdrom firmware and then jtag), psp, wii, wii U... I have the same interests.

I seem to have went down my own path though, and phone emulation (combined with a good Kodi stick ofc) has taken all my interest away from modding consoles for homebrew. I just figured Id bring it up and give it a little push, because it is real nice.

Even if you just wanna dabble, you could go to a Walmart and get a 50-60 dollar phone that will run everything up to PSP\DC\DS. All emulators are generally equal to their pc counterparts in terms of compatibility, with the exception of something new like Yuzu, which is making amazing strides in just a short time.

The reason the new stuff works so well is Snapdragon Socs have full pc opengl\vulkan instruction sets with the ablity to use custom drivers, and other socs like Dimensity are fast enough for 2d Switch (3d is coming along) and lower. *And Switch emulators are making fantastic use of ARM64 native code execution for CPU, instead of emulation.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I wrote something about this a while ago:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/can-an-android-phone-be-the-perfect-emulation-handheld.621661/

I've somewhat swung to using a dedicated handheld since then, but it does run Android too. Key difference for me is the screen aspect ratio. Phones are just so long, which is only really ideal for 3DS in having space to put both screens. 16:9 stuff benefits too, but anything less than that just results in a bunch of empty space.

Currently using the KT-R1, which is 3:2 by comparison. Perfect fit for GBA games, with minimal black bars on both 4:3 and 16:9. Phones definitely have the power, but dedicated systems really can push some great features outside of just having built-in controls.

Reactions: Veho and BigOnYa

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 21x9 aspect codes for so many games for so many different systems. From 3ds to ps2 to gamecube to wii. Everything. They look incredible, especially on an OLED screen.

Also, if you like or use touch, that extra screen space is there while using 16x9. 4x3 games all your controls fit "off screen."

*AND its more space for dual screen emulators! PC emulation also works with UW res, as long as the game supports it too.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But the lack of the real tactile feedback provided by a dpad, thumbstick or actual buttons make me sad, as does the silent operation that removes the texture rich vibrant experience provided by the good old spinning storage media and those loud cooling fans... oh no wait, that is my RX6800XT reeving up and penetrating my though process... I must do something about the noise levels on this PC already. /s

PS: I really don't like to push "buttons" in touch screens. It feels horrible.

Reactions: Kioku

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the lack of the real tactile feedback provided by a dpad, thumbstick or actual buttons make me sad, as does the silent operation that removes the texture rich vibrant experience provided by the good old spinning storage media and those loud cooling fans... oh no wait, that is my RX6800XT reeving up and penetrating my though process... I must do something about the noise levels on this PC already. /s

PS: I really don't like to push "buttons" in touch screens. It feels horrible.

Everyone uses a controller. Touch is secondary and a mere option only if you want to use it.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I was emulating the Sega Mega Drive and GameBoy on my Ngage QD back in 2004, which was pretty impressive for the time. It is pretty insane what can be emulated on a modern Android device these days.

That said these days I don't really feel the need to. If i'm out and about Pokemon Go is my game of choice on the mobile, if I'm going away somewhere i'd generally just take my Switch or Laptop.

Reactions: BigOnYa

MPRTwice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had issues with using my phone for emulation, such as the bulk of adding a physical controller, concerns over battery life when away from the house, etc.

Touch controls I find fine for games like Solitaire, Tetris or Adventure games, but not for games like Sonic 2.

If I'm at home I have access to other hardware such as my PC/Steam Deck, Shield, Analogue Pocket, original hardware, etc.

Most of the time if I'm travelling I'd bring my Steam Deck or laptop anyway.

Not all of these are actual issues for the goal of running emulators.

For starters many Android phones support HDMI output, have KB/M support and emulators are available via the play store or side loading.

Custom ROMs aren't necessarily required depending on the version of Android the device is running.

iOS users though do have issues, subject to the EU potentially forcing a change, requiring either messing around certificates, dev stuff or jailbreaking.
I agree that there's advantages to both in different ways. It would be nice to have some sort of android emulator not named bluestacks that works with a lot of titles.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
I think there's a few reasons, the top two being:

1. The form factor. Adding a controller to a phone is often cumbersome, or locks the phone inside something bulky.
2. Phone batteries are barely tolerable as it is. Playing demanding games on phones means bring a heavy powerbank.

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there's a few reasons, the top two being:

1. The form factor. Adding a controller to a phone is often cumbersome, or locks the phone inside something bulky.
2. Phone batteries are barely tolerable as it is. Playing demanding games on phones means bring a heavy powerbank.
I played Gothic 2 for about 4 hours in one sitting. Still was at 36 percent battery.

Phones are where battery life is, its not the other way around.

*Form factor is identical to switch or xbox

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RE3 remake fully playable:

GTAV: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/190s4kg

Even FFVII remake is booting about to be playable.

This is PC emulation, something generally out of reach of modified consoles.

You only need a 300 dollar phone for an emulator\VM that might be better than your pc. Unified architecture is no joke.

*If you even remotely think you are confined to touch controls, you are the ones out of date.

• Haha
Reactions: sarkwalvein

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops fingers are slipping everywhere...

WoW on phone, maxed:

Oh no oops... ELDEN RING PLAYABLE

Woah RE8 emulated (gee I wonder why Apple released a native port now?)

What? COD MW3? Oops!

Guild Wars 2? Thats crazy!

Oh shoot oops. Can it run Crysis? YUP. 60fps.

and before anyone says you need a 1000 dollar phone? Yeah maybe now, to do this in this early not even alpha software, in prehistoric (relatively) testing phases. However I have no problems on a ~300 dollar Oneplus 9 most of the stuff above works, gets about 3 fps faster every week it seems! Oh no OOPS!

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
This thread has a weirdly threatening tone.. emulate on your phone or else! :lol:

I'm thinking more cult leader, soon they'll start kidnapping people and forcing them to play games on their smart phones whilst stuck in some death trap.

'You'll emulate on your smartphone and you'll be happy (TM)'.
-Father TimmyP of the Church of Latter Day Emulation

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Thread is an obvious troll… but I’ll say this…

A one-size-fits-all device is just… wrong… I’m not about to replace my entire setup with an Android device just because it might be able to play most of the games I do. There’s way more to it than that. Also, imagine having to buy a controller attachment that you lug around with you. That’s not very practical. May as well have a dedicated gaming device if you’re going to do that anyway. It saves on your battery.

You do what you gotta do, but it isn’t practical to use my phone for a little bit of everything. Especially not because some rando on the internet thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch