TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A midrange Android phone can:

Play PC games via several emulators? I have Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion, Gothic 1 and 2 all totally playable bug free on my OP9. Touch or controller, tv out... Using "Winulator"

Play Switch games via Yuzu, Skyline, Strato, PS2 games via AetherSX2, Vita games via Vita3K, 3ds games via Citra, Wii\Gamecube games via Dolphin, and there are full emulators for everything else?

All of these emulators are well beyond any "beta" stage. You have Mario Odyssey not missing a frame in Yuzu on lesser phones than mine (Oneplus 9 8gb), I personally just rang the two bell towers in Dark Souls remastered. BotW is there. RDR is there. Its honestly insane.

Ive been into this hobby since I learned what Zsnes and roms were in 1997, followed UltraHLE and Project64, beat Mario64 in Corn on a Pentium 233 in 1999, was there when Dolphin was a mess, when Citra was a mess...

This might be the best thing since I saw UltraHLE running OOT at high resolution for the first time. It just seems like emulation on phones is going very overlooked by this community.

MPRTwice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There might be plenty of reasons that emulators are mainly used on computers. For example, computers with high-end graphics cards can run programs on very high resolutions and frame rates. Having programs run on a phone at 4k resolution and 144 Hz with custom texture packs would be very difficult at the moment.

Speaking of which, it's easier on many people's eyes to look at a 27-inch monitor compared to a phone screen.

Also, computers themselves tend to be one of the most versatile forms of electronics for software; you can add liquid cooling, readily replace the processor, graphics card, memory, and even provide up to twenty peripherals at the same time, something a phone cannot do.

In addition, most people who play games like having a full physical keyboard and mouse, and easy to use peripherals for controllers.

Lastly, many phone varieties have preventative measures to keep consumers from modifying them. It is difficult, for instance, for an apple iPhone average user to install their own custom Linux installation.

Phones do have ease of convenience using touch-screen shortcuts for combination controls, but with the advantages a computer has, this is likely why computers are predominantly used.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I've had issues with using my phone for emulation, such as the bulk of adding a physical controller, concerns over battery life when away from the house, etc.

Touch controls I find fine for games like Solitaire, Tetris or Adventure games, but not for games like Sonic 2.

If I'm at home I have access to other hardware such as my PC/Steam Deck, Shield, Analogue Pocket, original hardware, etc.

Most of the time if I'm travelling I'd bring my Steam Deck or laptop anyway.

There might be plenty of reasons that emulators are mainly used on computers. For example, computers with high-end graphics cards can run programs on very high resolutions and frame rates. Having programs run on a phone at 4k resolution and 144 Hz with custom texture packs would be very difficult at the moment.

Speaking of which, it's easier on many people's eyes to look at a 27-inch monitor compared to a phone screen.

Also, computers themselves tend to be one of the most versatile forms of electronics for software; you can add liquid cooling, readily replace the processor, graphics card, memory, and even provide up to twenty peripherals at the same time, something a phone cannot do.

In addition, most people who play games like having a full physical keyboard and mouse, and easy to use peripherals for controllers.

Lastly, many phone varieties have preventative measures to keep consumers from modifying them. It is difficult, for instance, for an apple iPhone average user to install their own custom Linux installation.

Phones do have ease of convenience using touch-screen shortcuts for combination controls, but with the advantages a computer has, this is likely why computers are predominantly used.

Not all of these are actual issues for the goal of running emulators.

For starters many Android phones support HDMI output, have KB/M support and emulators are available via the play store or side loading.

Custom ROMs aren't necessarily required depending on the version of Android the device is running.

iOS users though do have issues, subject to the EU potentially forcing a change, requiring either messing around certificates, dev stuff or jailbreaking.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I like having a dedicated machine for gaming, because a mobile phone is a phone first (well, ad-pushing machine first), everything else fifth, it is designed around how the majority of owners will be using it for the majority of the time, and the design, interface and so on are focused on scrolling through apps and are not ideal for gaming.

A dedicated machine is built around gaming from the ground up so the form factor, interface, hardware is focused on gaming, the controls are better quality, the OS is usually something open and light weight and optimized for gaming, and a lot of them support multiple boot; the screen doesn't have to be as huge or high res (you won't be reading books on it, probably), there don't have to be a ton of background services running, so the battery life can be better, and so on. An emulation device with the same chipset as an Android phone will be a much better experience for playing games.

Also a decent emulation machine is $100 these days and you're set up for years.

This is all subjective, and it won't be a dealbreaker for a lot of people, who will be perfectly content with playing everything on their phone. None of my arguments might hold any weight with the average user. But when you have people paying hundreds of dollars for a slightly more accurate emulation of one single 8-bit console that plays perfectly fine on a mobile phone, there's plenty of room in the middle for retro gaming handhelds, for people who will pay a little money to have a slighly better experience.

Reactions: Lostbhoy and Y0shII

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention, what happens when you are in the middle of a game on your phone, and get an important phone call? But I guess if you spent $1000 on a new phone, you gonna squeeze all you can out of it, enjoy!

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See?

Android and all of these emulators have full xinput support, no need to even configure. You think I rang two bell towers in Dark Souls with TOUCH? Lol no way.

Phones have HDMI output. They have wireless output. Controllers have grips from the sides (Gamesir X2) clips from the top (Moga XPX).

When you get a phone call, the game stays running. When you turn your phone off. The game hibernates...

I mean no malice, but... see?

PS: My OP9 was 250 dollars. See? You are missing out, consider yourself warned!

*Oh and "Squeeze?" Phones are running Cyberpunk 2077 via x86 emulation on ARM (need box or termux for this), RE3Remake playably. I dont think "squeeze" is the right word to use, when its the PC side being pegged due to its modular design. An 8gb unified phone with a snapdragon is already doing what PC could in 2017, via emulation.

Last edited by TimmyP,
Reactions: BigOnYa

TimmyP

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
71yPYnmNMRL._AC_UY218_.jpg

61+q8ZHWv-L._AC_UY218_.jpg

+ TV out. (stock photos obviously lol)

*What doesn't "feel right" about this? This is something you always have on you too.

Last edited by TimmyP,

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I can see the advantages of using an Android phone and I didn't know about HDMI output but I will still use a Switch or gaming PC for emulation because they're what I already have.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Most people don't want to use their phones as an emulator box when they have more powerful hardware for that purpose. That's really all it is. Nothing wrong with doing that if it's what you enjoy, though. Everyone has their own ways.
Post automatically merged:

Phones are running Cyberpunk 2077 via x86 emulation on ARM
If we're very loose about the term running, yeah. Not really playable... assuming this is an example of that.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Because playing on a phone doesn't feel right
Depends on the phone. I've got a Pixel Fold, and I quite enjoy emulating on it. The case I have has a kickstand, so I can tabletop it like a Switch. I can actually hold it in my lap better than a Switch. It's much more wieldy.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know this, but I don't find it practical to play on a phone, because:
1. I want the battery of the phone to be available to do phone things, instead of spending it in something else.
2. Phones get stupid hot and have a very small screen for games.
3. It's not really comfortable.

I will keep playing my portable stuff, call it Yuzu, any emulator, or actual legit games on my Steam Deck.
Or on the Switch for the matter.

In the end it is a matter of preferences.

Reactions: Y0shII and Xdqwerty

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I know this, but I don't find it practical to play on a phone, because:
1. I want the battery of the phone to be available to do phone things, instead of spending it in something else.
2. Phones get stupid hot and have a very small screen for games.
3. It's not really comfortable.

I will keep playing my portable stuff, call it Yuzu, any emulator, or actual legit games on my Steam Deck.
Or on the Switch for the matter.

In the end it is a matter of preferences.
These are reasons why I like Sunshine. What OP is referring to is a very WIP WINE port for Android. At least in reference to Winulator. Rather than deal with compatibility headaches, though, and the things you listed, I find streaming to be much more pleasant and reliable. Only issue is that you have to have an Nvidia GPU that's fairly new, so that really limits who's able to use it.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I know. I just don't care for it. I don't even look at texts or whatever on my phone. Christ, I don't even pick up when it rings. Lol why do I even have a phone at this point?

Anyway, cool kids (or most middle age guys) only game on big 4k tv. :creep:

Reactions: BigOnYa

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Only issue is that you have to have an Nvidia GPU that's fairly new, so that really limits who's able to use it.
There are still other solutions for streaming, such as the Steam Link app, that don't require Nvidia hardware. AMD actually also has their own streaming solution built into their driver, too. AMD Link. Nvidia's streaming may be better, but it's not the only way.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
See?

Android and all of these emulators have full xinput support, no need to even configure. You think I rang two bell towers in Dark Souls with TOUCH? Lol no way.

Phones have HDMI output. They have wireless output. Controllers have grips from the sides (Gamesir X2) clips from the top (Moga XPX).

When you get a phone call, the game stays running. When you turn your phone off. The game hibernates...

I mean no malice, but... see?

Yes but consider this:

1702428760418.png

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
There are still other solutions for streaming, such as the Steam Link app, that don't require Nvidia hardware. AMD actually also has their own streaming solution built into their driver, too. AMD Link. Nvidia's streaming may be better, but it's not the only way.
That is true, and I realize now that what I said may come off as an implication toward the contrary. I was just speaking strictly on Sunshine/Moonlight, but there definitely are other solutions. Mileage will also vary with how enjoyable the experience is, depending on what you go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: LMAO