Hardware Does the console force updates? Also have the URLs for NUS been discovered?

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I say force updates I don't mean like the 3DS at all (too many people don't know what forced means) but more like the Wii U where there is no pop up message that gives the option to accept or decline that doesn't go away until the system is actually updated, the Wii U would just update on its own and be stuck waiting for a kernel exploit to be released (for its time.)

I noticed there are some DNS addresses already made to block updates but I prefer to use the parental controls on my router instead. Has nothing to do with trusting whoever is hosting the addresses but more about its dependability of staying up 24/7. Some have gotten down and even though my Wii U never updated as a result of any DNS downtime I rather not chance it on a new console and just block the URLs myself.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*rechecks this thread for the fifth time, this time remembering to click "Show ignored Content"*

Oh, yeah... This is the thread.

Aside from the facts that:
a) I don't particularly condone hacking current consoles (consoles no longer offered for sail are fair game though)
b) Future updates are bound to have desired improvements
c) The hacking elite have not given any "avoid updates" warning, indicating that they have no leads yet
d) The Switch has not actually been hacked in any useful manner yet
e) Any development of hacks would be focused on the most recent releases

To put it simply, we don't know yet. There has only been three updates of note: The Update to 2.01, the mandatory update at first startup, and the mandatory update first time you insert a MicroSDXC card. It may be possible, and maybe some features will be disabled until you update. The console literally came out last month.

And as for my deleted post, everything I said was technically feasible, just morally and legally questionable.

• Nintendo can choose to treat "Wifi Off" as a throttled mode where the Switch only uses the wifi to check for and download updates.
  • The Switch can be programmed to reject the DNS servers set by your router and use a hardwired one or hardwired list, or fail over if certain criteria is met (bad certificates, eShop is accessible but NUS is not, etc)
  • The Switch can be set to automatically connect to open hotspots (some Android phones have this feature, not sure if they still do) or Nintendo can partner with a Wifi Subscription program like Skype Wifi, so the Switch can automatically connect to a supported hotspot to download the update
  • If Nintendo partnered with Blackberry they could've used QNX/BB10 as the basis for the Switch OS, which adds a whole another level of security. Or at bare minimum they can use BB10-esque encryption and code signing to resist hacking.
  • Nintendo has had years to look at how their consoles are hacked. They could have found "tells" (odd files in the SD card, iOSs or whatever with incorrect metadata, unsigned code, etc) that they could program to trigger a lockdown mode for the Switch in which it won't run until it downloads a validated rom image to reflash itself with.
  • Nintendo could choose to take a look at how viruses work. The Switch could connect to the server using secure tunnels like a Tor-knockoff, or maybe it can try to mask it's communications by hiding it behind something expected, like NTP calls (for small amounts of data like a version check) or even as additional data when accessing the eShop
There are all technically feasible, though Nintendo would have to hire outside talent to pull off a lot of it. There would be a public outcry if any of it was discovered, and Nintendo could face harsh legal repercussions in some cases. But all points are and were technically valid.

RemixDeluxe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you @Futurdreamz for your input. I can respect your wishes to not mod current gen systems. Keep in mind the 3DS is a current gen console that offers many great homebrews that I am grateful for and I'm not willing to wait till the next Nintendo handheld to be released because of anarbitrary rule of "not modding current gen systems". If you dont wish to contribute towards the homebrew scene thats perfectly fine with me but at the same time have respect towards those that do have an interest in it, its our consoles and we have ownership to do as we please with them. Your welcome to put me back on ignore if you want, it only makes it easier on me to not see you shit post anymore in my topics but I dont think you should have such a black and white outlook on console modding, not everyone is out for piracy and if they were that's not my business nor yours.

@Mr. Wizard put together an awesome guide and I'm grateful for his contribution to make sure Switch users have a chance of homebrew in the future.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-fiddler-setup-guide-for-blocking-update-server.466328

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.