Hardware Does playing Playstation Games (Or even emulators) damages battery ?

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone !

I'm very new to the 3DS modding and I was wondering something:
I've read that playing PS1 emulator (retroarch) drained the battery quicker because it needs more CPU to run the games.

Does playing emulators in general damages the battery or even the 3DS itself ?

Thanks !

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone !

I've read that playing PS1 emulator (retroarch) drained the battery quicker because it needs more CPU to run the games.

Thanks !
uhm....no? Its normal usage of the battery, there isnt anything thats doing nothing to hurt the battery in any way.

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Heya !

Thanks for your answer. I'm sorry, can't find the thread/website where I saw that, but I clearly saw some people complaining about the lifetime of the battery going down super fast when running RetroArch ReArmed PS1 Emulator.

In my newbie mindest, it immediately affraids me about my hardware and if it will damage it :(.

But anyway, I hope you're right !

Thanks

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone !

Thanks !
Batteries are easily replaced, and cheaply. Takes about 5 minutes. So even if your battery is damaged, it's really easy to fix.

But I'm guessing when people say "hurts the battery", they probably mean "the battery will run out of power more quickly". No actual damage beyond normal use.

Last edited by osaka35,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Most 3DS games are designed to work on the old models (even newer games) and I highly doubt that they bring the much faster processor in the new series near 100% usage most of the time.
It might be possible that emulators max out the CPU usage constantly and that could be noticeable on running time (try out – compare emulator running time with normal 3DS game and share the results). However, I've read somewhere that e.g. Xenoblade makes the New 3DS get warm which means official games for the "New" series do use more of the CPU power.

The battery itself should be fine. Although common lithium cobalt batteries can be damaged by high currents this is not an issue if using consumer electronic devices. High currents means significantly (double-triple) more than 1C (c=capacity). That would be draining the battery in 20-30 minutes. No gonna happen on 3DS – even on highest brightness setting with maxed out CPU, WiFi on and volume on maximum.

Good luck and have fun!

Edit:
As for damage of the console itself: I don't think so (and don't hope so). A device should be able to handle 100% usage for quite a while. Heat can lower the lifetime of components and since the 3DS family has no active cooling I guess it could be a problem running them at 100% CPU/GPU usage in a really warm environment non-stop for weeks.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Andorin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I knew I would have some interesting answers, but you guys blew my mind, never disappointed here.
Thank you so much for your information.

If anyone wanna share his experience or knowledge, he will be more than welcome.

Thank you again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: What's a "fire in the hole"?