Hacking does dstwo have a time bomb like the r4's

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Some R4 clones do this, the DSTWO does not. Nor does the r4ids.cn R4i Gold. Both are great carts in their own right and if you want the extra features of the DSTWO (ingame cheat menu, cheat searching, built in CPU with SNES/GBA support to name a few) and think the price of the DSTWO is fair then go with that. Otherwise go with the r4ids.cn R4i Gold. Personally i have a DSTWO (it was still cheaper than buying a DS game, so to me that's more than worth it) and I'm satisfied with it.

I already have a DSTwo but I got that R4 around a month ago (at modchipsdirect.com) and it works perfectly aside from the RTS function being slightly less compatible than the DSTwo. The only problem with the DSTwo is that it is a major battery hog, even when not in DS mode, so I don't use it that much. I do have my sd card set up so that I can use it with both though.

Then you should know that one of the biggest reasons the DSTWO is so popular is because it just works. It's persisted across firmware updates better than any other cart, and rarely needed updating, and even when it did Team SC had an update ready and released within a day. Not that it matters that much anymore since DS games are no longer being released and Nintendo stopped blocking DS flashcarts long ago. Though if they do decide some day to put in a big effort to block DS flashcarts the DSTWO might be the only one that survives due to the built in CPU allowing it to emulate retail carts more closely :)

True, however if you have CFW that is not much of a concern because any new DS flash cart checks will just be patched out just like the current ones are.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I already have a DSTwo but I got that R4 around a month ago (at modchipsdirect.com) and it works perfectly aside from the RTS function being slightly less compatible than the DSTwo. The only problem with the DSTwo is that it is a major battery hog, even when not in DS mode, so I don't use it that much. I do have my sd card set up so that I can use it with both though.

True, however if you have CFW that is not much of a concern because any new DS flash cart checks will just be patched out just like the current ones are.
If you use sleep mode a lot then yes the DSTWO is a battery hog, I haven't noticed much difference myself, but I don't tend to leave the console in sleep mode much and I usually have my Gateway cart inserted anyway. The thing is that while in the home menu or while in a 3DS game the onboard CPU stays running, this is not a fault of the DSTWO but rather a drawback of how the DSTWO is designed, since it uses the onboard CPU as a means of bypassing checks in the 3DS OS. This makes a difference on battery life but it's not huge (maybe 30-45 min less) and only applies in those specific scenarios.

When in sleep mode in a DS game, the battery life is almost exactly the same as any other DS flashcart because the onboard CPU is turned off. All DS flashcarts draw a bit more battery power than retail carts however, because they have additional hardware.
Anyway, it's not difficult to simply eject the cart when you're not using it, and if you're not going to be using the console for hours you might as well turn it off anyways.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But what about StreetPass?
Fair point, but as mentioned it's easy to just eject the cart and leave it sticking out a bit. It should fit in a pouch with the cart sticking out a bit and I doubt doing so would cause any harm to the 3DS. The DSTWO is pretty snug in the cart slot, not much room for it to wiggle around and break anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.