Doctor Who

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Power of Three is the one of the first five that had the least information released about it.

Looking very much forward to episode 5 though; big fan of the Weeping Angels.
Didn't the Weeping Angels have light flickering when they were near?
Sometimes, if they actively drain the power.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fx6XitEMNkmjBAJfbHyLQA2.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti

I'm surprised you didn't screencap the Allons-y quote from claptrap.

Anyway, I think the show is incredible, and for a show that's been on for as long as it has (Longest running sci-fi series in the history of everything), and can still pull fresh material, it's an incredible feat.

With series that have run as long as this, you need to see the shows from week to week for what they are, not what they were. Yeah, you can piss and moan that Tennant was the best new Doctor, and that he should come back, but those saying that know better than anyone else that, it's just not how it works. Tennant, in a sense, is dead, and unless the Doctor meets the 10th doctor in one of his journeys, we will never see him in the series again.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Good luck with that goal Species. There's about 40 years of TV to get through and a lot of the earlier stuff got burnt because archiving costs money, there was no home video market and there was some weird dispute with the Actor's Union where they didn't want reruns shown.

I enjoyed Mercy. As for the dark turns the Doctor has been showing Amy addressed that this episode. SHe wasn't there to protest in Dinosaurs but she was in Mercy. The Doctor has a habit of going very dark and vengeful when he's alone (see the David Tennant specials for precedent).

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Good luck with that goal Species. There's about 40 years of TV to get through and a lot of the earlier stuff got burnt because archiving costs money, there was no home video market and there was some weird dispute with the Actor's Union where they didn't want reruns shown.

I enjoyed Mercy. As for the dark turns the Doctor has been showing Amy addressed that this episode. SHe wasn't there to protest in Dinosaurs but she was in Mercy. The Doctor has a habit of going very dark and vengeful when he's alone (see the David Tennant specials for precedent).

I was very surprised this week. For a "stupid monkey" to put The Doctor back in his place, Amy Pond has to be one of his better companions to date, though I wouldn't say the best.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Funny, I just watched yesterday the first episode of the 2005 series ' Rose ' on netflix and it wasn't half bad,quite interesting actually.
A little too British for me if I may say so ( I lived many years in America and I'm not so used to the accent ).
But I have no previous experience of any doctor who, I don't know were to start, or even if I'll be alright by just watching this recent series.
I think I'll watch a couple of more episodes first before making up my mind, because as stated elsewhere, there is so much material out there if I were to become a fan, I'll sure keep busy for a long time....

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Funny, I just watched yesterday the first episode of the 2005 series ' Rose ' on netflix and it wasn't half bad,quite interesting actually.
A little too British for me if I may say so ( I lived many years in America and I'm not so used to the accent ).
But I have no previous experience of any doctor who, I don't know were to start, or even if I'll be alright by just watching this recent series.
I think I'll watch a couple of more episodes first before making up my mind, because as stated elsewhere, there is so much material out there if I were to become a fan, I'll sure keep busy for a long time....

You might want to sample a few episodes from each Doctor. (9th, 10th, 11th) Your tastes may vary throughout the seasons. I, for one, wasn't really digging the 9th until his last season, fell in love with the 10th right off, and the 11th, I had a struggle getting used to, but now I love him as The Doctor, but I still want to punch that stupid chin right off his stupid face for some reason.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country

I was very surprised this week. For a "stupid monkey" to put The Doctor back in his place, Amy Pond has to be one of his better companions to date, though I wouldn't say the best.
Donna did it as well. In her first episode she saved the Doctor's life when he was being vengeful. Her entire excuse for going with the Doctor in Series 4 was that he needed somebody with him to stop him being like that.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Adelaide Brooke also kinda set me straight after what I did at Bowie Base One. :unsure:

I think you mean you aren't British enough. :tpi:

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Adelaide Brooke also kinda set me straight after what I did at Bowie Base One. :unsure:

I think you mean you aren't British enough. :tpi:

I have to admit. After watching Dr. Who, it makes me feel a bit British for a while. :tpi:

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You might want to sample a few episodes from each Doctor. (9th, 10th, 11th) Your tastes may vary throughout the seasons. I, for one, wasn't really digging the 9th until his last season, fell in love with the 10th right off, and the 11th, I had a struggle getting used to, but now I love him as The Doctor, but I still want to punch that stupid chin right off his stupid face for some reason.
The 9th only had one season, or rather "series", seeing as it is a UK show. So if you liked him in his last one, I guess that means you liked him all along? :ninja: Personally I started with the 9th doctor, liked him, then preferred the 10th and now much prefer the 11th, definitely my favourite of the three.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
The 9th only had one season, or rather "series", seeing as it is a UK show. So if you liked him in his last one, I guess that means you liked him all along? :ninja: Personally I started with the 9th doctor, liked him, then preferred the 10th and now much prefer the 11th, definitely my favourite of the three.

Huh...so it is. I swear I remember watching more than one season of the 9th. Though during that time, I was usually drunk while I was perusing Netflix.

alidsl

I am now a lurker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Huh...so it is. I swear I remember watching more than one season of the 9th. Though during that time, I was usually drunk while I was perusing Netflix.
You were drunk

Gundam Eclipse

True Demon Route
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
This thread got me interested, so I acquired what I thought was series 1 was before realizing that there were others before and that this was a reboot(I am confused in this aspect, would love it if you could clear it up).
Still, watched the first episode. Holy fuck I LOVE THIS SHOW, I FUCKING LOVE IT.
So my question is, do I just keep watching the 2005 version or should I start from the very beginning? Will I miss any plot if I don't? Even if I don't, is the old series worth watching?

Also, thanks, seriously, I have only watched the first episode so far and even so I fucking love this.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This thread got me interested, so I acquired what I thought was series 1 was before realizing that there were others before and that this was a reboot(I am confused in this aspect, would love it if you could clear it up).
Still, watched the first episode. Holy fuck I LOVE THIS SHOW, I FUCKING LOVE IT.
So my question is, do I just keep watching the 2005 version or should I start from the very beginning? Will I miss any plot if I don't? Even if I don't, is the old series worth watching?

Also, thanks, seriously, I have only watched the first episode so far and even so I fucking love this.
So basically, the original Doctor Who ran from 1963-1989. There were 8 different Doctors in that time. In 2005, the show was revived with the ninth Doctor in "Series 1". Note that this was a revival, not a reboot; the story "continues": in the interim between the old series and new ones, there was the "Time War" between the Time Lords and the Daleks, which eventually led to both being "wiped out" [although the daleks are still recurring villains in the new series], by the Doctor (the last living Time Lord).

The new series work perfectly well as a standalone show without any knowledge of the old series. I have never watched a full episode of the old series. I couldn't say if it's worth watching or not, but I've been told it is very good (although the acting is apparently quite poor). Every now and again there will be a reference to the old series, or a recurring enemy, but it doesn't matter if you don't get those references, it won't negatively impact on your enjoyment of the new series.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/gnXkwfS got this because it shows v draws also