Do you prefer literal or liberal translations?

Do you like when translations take liberties?

• Total voters

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I generally prefer something in between. Now I don't know any Japanese just as a discalimer but take the RPGOne trans of the JP version of FFVI. It's apparently a very literal translation and the hacking job is phenomenal, but the dialogue sometimes comes off as dry and unnatural, unlike the goofy, charming FF3US version done by Woolsey. I've only sampled it but the Ted Woolsey Uncensored hack would be my definition of the perfect balance between literal and very liberally translated ala the J2e FF4 hack. The Doctor L Chrono Trigger retrans fits the bill as well along with the DS version, but since the DS port is a port of the PS1 version, it has inferior sound. The Doctor L hack takes the fairly awkward Chrono Compendium hack which is apparently very literal and essentially makes it more of a localization which is why I voted option #3. Both extremes are usually pretty bad which also applies to politics and pretty much everything under the sun.
I will say I like parts of the SNES version better.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only real problem with the Doctor L trans is that Ozzie, Flea & Slash are retranslated(properly I might add) to Vinegar, Mayonnaise & Soysaw respectively but I prefer the US versions BY FAR. Other than that I can't think of a single advantage the original US trans has over that hybrid of the Chrono Compendium retrans and the original US script; it's a great retrans. The DS version I've only tested(ie a cheat run to test it in an emulator) so I'm less familiar with that trans but I do remember it being fairly competent.

I love how Woolsey was able to get past the censors using names like Mammon Machine replacing Demonic Vessel which tbh is a better name than Majinki/Demonic Vessel. OG script aint bad.

Reactions: Steve_Doido

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I love how Woolsey was able to get past the censors using names like Mammon Machine replacing Demonic Vessel which tbh is a better name than Majinki/Demonic Vessel. OG script aint bad.
Indeed. Frog's lines were also more poetic, though this one isn't about censorship really.
It's a great exemple of knowing what you are doing can improve a product.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It sounds awkward if someone says in english Mandy-chan or Jack-kun, but it can also be hard to understand japanese references if translated liberally. So I would say a healthy mix of literal and liberal is good.

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sounds awkward if someone says in english Mandy-chan or Jack-kun, but it can also be hard to understand japanese references if translated liberally. So I would say a healthy mix of literal and liberal is good.
That's one thing the Doctor L CT hack removed from the Chrono Compendium retrans; all the -kuns, -sans and whatnot were removed as well as re-adding much of the original US script albeit without censoring sexual references, drinking etc. The Mystics are actually supposed to be called demons from what I gather, especially since in the DS port they're called fiends. Also, many side chars retain their Japanese names(Janus is Jyaki; I prefer Janus) which are hit or miss, but I prefer Sara over Schala since I actually know how to say her darn name when her JP name is used.

Frog/Glenn's speech is more crass yet still formal at times similar to the DS version. It's all down to preference really but I see that mod of the CC hack as a near-perfect balance between literal and liberal. RPGOne's FF6 hack is too literal while J2e's FF4 hack is far too liberal. Both extremes often come out quite silly.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it usually depends.
i mean, i don't need a japanese film playing in japan with only japanese actors to localize names and pretend its playing in germany and characters making references to german personalities. though that has happened back in the 80's and 90's.
(i also really didn't need that in my videogames, pheonix wright ace attorney!)

if everything is more western and it doesn't automatically seem nonsensical, then i don't mind that much if say references to actors and movies i'd probably not know are changed to be easier to understand to me. like, there's a few old movies that get referenced a lot in american shows, that one thats always on on christmas and citizen cane. neither of which have any relevance in my country whatsoever. i wouldn't care if german dubs switched those out for other stuff.
i don't even mind if archetypes of characters that would seem entirely stupid and unreasonable to western audiences gets changed up a little, especially when it makes no difference to a games plot.

the tv show alf is a good example for a liberal translation that way surpassed the original, as the company responsible for translating and dubbing the show took liberties not only with localizing some references, but specifically with intonation of the lines, often completely changing the characters for the better. in the original, willy seemed like an unlikable emotionless husk of a man to me, but the german willy shows emotions befitting the different scenes and situations.

dragon quest games are a good example too, since they localize texts of different towns with different accents, but they use local accents for most languages, like german got bavarian, hassian, and 'platt', while the us version prolly has texan, british and other accents.
it kinda feels out of place sometimes, but it doesn't really bother me that they're not keeping the original asian versions of accents in

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dig good liberal localizations but the kinds of things I can't stand, and this is only one extreme example, are things like the "Weapons of Magitek destruction" line in FFVI Advance. That bothered me much more than it probably should've but it broke immersion by reminding me of the current political climate in...like 2007 I think? Lame.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well in truth a direct translation can't be done because if you just translate japanese to English and type it out it won't make sense. The translator has to make sense of whats there and change some words around/add things to make it sound right or else it'll just be a shit translation that makes no sense. Kinda like a literary jigsaw puzzle. If I were to quote Tom from Xseed
try as you might, you can never capture the nuance of a Japanese line by translating it word-for-word, because Germanic and Asian languages are just far too fundamentally incompatible with one another […] Adaptation is the only way to really remain true to the intent of the original work, and while there’s a certain degree of interpretation inherent in that, it’s still better than giving a flat, confusing, rote translation and depending on the player to know enough Japanese to suss out its subtler nuances.

I do like it when translators try their best to stick to the authors original intentions and keep everything intact though.

Last edited by Daggot,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
And now for a random (Dutch) literal translation:

Ondertussen in de benedenstad van Grote Diefstal Auto Vijf:
Persoon A: wat is er omhoog, hond?
Persoon B: controleer dit uit, vrouwtjeshond. Ik heb mijn auto gepooierd en was met cruisecontrol kippen aan het controleren. Eentje komt naar me toe maar ik acteer koud en zeg "luister, prostituee: geef me wat suiker!"
Persoon A: oké...laten we stuiteren.

So...I know this isn't going to be convincing to non-Dutchspeaking tempers, but believe me: it absolutely illustrates how ridiculous literal translations become.
(@Dutchies: will you do me a favor and give this post some love if this made you laugh? :) )

Oh,...you probably want to know the original English piece:
Meanwhile, downtown Grand Theft Auto Five:
person A: what's up, dog?
person B: check this out, bitch. I've been pimping my ride and cruisin' around checking chicks. One comes up to me but I act cool and say "listen, whore: gimme some sugar!"
Person A: allright: let's bounce.

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And now for a random (Dutch) literal translation:

Ondertussen in de benedenstad van Grote Diefstal Auto Vijf:
Persoon A: wat is er omhoog, hond?
Persoon B: controleer dit uit, vrouwtjeshond. Ik heb mijn auto gepooierd en was met cruisecontrol kippen aan het controleren. Eentje komt naar me toe maar ik acteer koud en zeg "luister, prostituee: geef me wat suiker!"
Persoon A: oké...laten we stuiteren.

So...I know this isn't going to be convincing to non-Dutchspeaking tempers, but believe me: it absolutely illustrates how ridiculous literal translations become.
(@Dutchies: will you do me a favor and give this post some love if this made you laugh? :) )

Oh,...you probably want to know the original English piece:
Meanwhile, downtown Grand Theft Auto Five:
person A: what's up, dog?
person B: check this out, bitch. I've been pimping my ride and cruisin' around checking chicks. One comes up to me but I act cool and say "listen, whore: gimme some sugar!"
Person A: allright: let's bounce.
I'll do one for Brazilian Portuguese:

Richter: Morra monstro. Você não pertence a este mundo!

Dracula: Não foi por minha mão que voltei de novo a carne. Eu fui chamado por humanos, que desejam me pagar tributo.

Richter: Tributo? Você rouba as almas dos homens, e faz eles teus escravos.

Dracula: Talvez o mesmo possa ser dito de todas as religiões.

Richter: Suas palavras são tão vazias quanto a sua alma. Doença da humanidade precisa de um salvador como você.

Dracula: O que é um homem?! Uma miserável pequena trilha de segredos! Mas chega de conversa; tenha a ti!

<after beating both Dracula's forms>

Dracula: Não! Isso não pode ser! AAAAAAAAAH!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, WAKE UP