Do you play your handheld on public transport?

Do you play your handheld on public transport?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Why should I tell you?

• You crazy?! I'll get mugged!

• It's uncool to be seen playing a handheld.

• Total voters

x_comp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, when I was smaller and owned an original Game Boy, my parents wouldn't let me bring it into school while a few of the other kids did. Now I play on the bus during my journeys in and out of uni because it takes almost a whole hour to get in. Longer if the traffic's really bad during the mornings such as in winter.

Over here in Scotland, it doesn't seem to be that common although other students seem to be more than reluctant to show off their latest mobile phone features. A few friends of mine do though and they also play their handhelds during lectures (don't do it, kids
wink.gif
). Too bad they're not on the same route as me!

On the other hand, while on holiday in Asia, I always see a few people bringing out their DS or PSP whether on the bus or train. I even see guys in suits sitting at the surgery playing their handheld while they wait to be called (don't ask why I was in one
biggrin.gif
)

So out of curiousity, I'm wondering how many here play on public transport.

ahzael

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Very often i catch the train to go to the city instead of the car so that i can play with my DS
smile.gif
When i was going to uni couple of years ago, i had to travel for 50 minutes somthing on the train, i was playing yugi oh on my limited edition Old Blacks GBA and i often got pissed off cause the trip would end during a very cool duel
smile.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I rarely use public transport as I have my own car.

Does a plane count? Me and Costello played our DS's against each other (some New Mario Bros. and Big Brain Academy) while flying over the English channel.
smile.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never. For 2 main reasons:

1. Might drop it since the bus I go on sometimes accelerates and stop suddenly which results in me dropping my MP3 player most times.
2. I get travel sick.... easily.

I do like how companies try and market their handhelds as, "IT'S COOL TO BE SEEN PLAYING THIS IN PUBLIC TRANSPORT"

slightlyaskew

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I play on the Metro (local train service) on my 45min journey home.

I must admit the following tho;

i) Using a stylus for an action game is near impossible (Starfox, for example). However, stuff like Clubhouse games etc is fine.

ii) I HATE when people look over your shoulder at what you're playing. Really really bugs me. Somtimes, I'll even turn it off and pack it away...

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can't remember the last time I used public transport, I always use the car. The cars cheaper than it is to catch a bus. I wouldn't use my handheld on public transport or in public because you'd probably get it pinched. The only time I take a handheld out (Its usually the GBA SP because its more portable) its usually when I'm stuck in a waiting room.

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I rarely use public transport as I have my own car.

Does a plane count? Me and Costello played our DS's against each other (some New Mario Bros. and Big Brain Academy) while flying over the English channel.
smile.gif

Isn't "dangerous" to use wifi (bluetooth, radio etc) equipment during flight? Well, I belive it is not allowed.
You are both irresponsibles!
nyanya.gif

About the topic:
It's not a wise idea to play it on public transports (buses) in Rio de Janeiro. Just in July there was 820 bus robberies.
Never happen to me, but I am sure that the first time I take my DS to the bus, I will lose it.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I rarely take a handheld with me when I'm going out...they're just too big to fit into my pocket (except the GBA Micro, the only handheld I took to school for some time), and I'm not outside that often, anyway...

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Not in public transport (as I get dizzy
ohmy.gif
) but always in public. I bring my DS lite everywhere. Usually playing at a coffee shop or something.

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't, I just like to play it on the toilet and in my bed. I take it with me when we're going on some trip, but not on everyday transport.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Not in public transport (as I get dizzy
ohmy.gif
) but always in public. I bring my DS lite everywhere. Usually playing at a coffee shop or something.

Coffee Shop?
Dibujo.gif
Oh La La!
rofl2.gif

I don't, I just like to play it on the toilet and in my bed. I take it with me when we're going on some trip, but not on everyday transport.

I`ve always wondered how the people can read, eat and now play on the toilet, it´s hard!
happy.gif

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
I play my DS on the public transport every day, that is, subway and buses. Car is a no-no since it's so cheap and comfortable with public transport here
happy.gif

So far I haven't seen any other person play a DS in the public transport except me, but I've seen some kids (4-7 year olds) playing their gameboy advance... makes me feel as an immature little child as well but whatever
tongue.gif

Of course, often when I pull it out I get looks. Anyways, the looks I get are more often of the "I'm-curious-about-what-he's-playing" kind than the "grow-up-man" or "I'll-rob-him-at-the-next station" kind. And thankfully so eh?
wink.gif

So conclusively my motto would be: "For curious looks, travel DS-style!"

BvG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.