OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I keep trying to structure threads outside of news to be like news. It's a well-driven habit so much that I opened a tab prematurely to look for a source and header picture for this, lol.

Anyways, I've been in Oregon for about a week now, and coming from Texas, it's insane how different it is here. No smog, clean tap water, people walk around outside, no oppressive humid weather, etc. But most drastically of all, you see all these people gardening! My grandparents have a whole setup here, with a backyard chock full of fruits and veggies and spices. Mint, blueberries, plums, tomatoes, and tons upon tons of pretty flowers like petunias. It makes me want to go back home and start my own garden, seeing as I have about 8,000 sqft of backyard lot that goes unused. Alas, Houston TX is a bit to humid for what I wish to plant.

But that got me thinking. Anyone else here on GBAtemp into planting and gardening? I just helped plant a cantaloupe sprout, and I found it super therapeutic and fun. What do you like to plant, and what season and climate does it grow best in?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I like gardening. This year has been an off year though, so there are fewer flowers and barely any edible stuff.
We got a tomato plant though (we usually have one. Last year it yielded like.. 200 tomatoes or something), and a small chilli plant (but it doesn't grow that well... don't know what's up with it).

We also have grapes. It's getting pretty big!

Well... that's about it I guess :P

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My family and I do. For over a decade we have been planting a large amount of trees and plants in our yard trying to make it as beautiful as possible. It's my mom's hobby so we get wrapped up in it as well. In addition, we also have a fruit and vegetable garden that we have been working on all this year. We have gotten quite a bit of food from it as well. It's a pain to weed (and hasn't been done in a while...) but it's really cool to eat food that you grow. I make a lot of vegetable dishes for my family so it's nicer using home grown food.

We grow Peas, Watermelon, okra, tomatoes, onions, various spices, jalapenos, banana and bell peppers, quash, and garlic

upload_2017-7-24_11-36-2.png
upload_2017-7-24_11-36-30.png
upload_2017-7-24_11-37-20.png
upload_2017-7-24_11-37-34.png
upload_2017-7-24_11-38-3.png

Last edited by Stephano,

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't but my dad does.

We have potatoes, tomatoes, aubergine, pumpkin, green gourd, pepper and tons of other stuff in our back garden.
Everything is growing really well except the green gourd. The plant itself has grown really well but for some reason no gourds are growing.

Reactions: Chary

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not in a scale close to anything else I might do. Certainly not something I do because I enjoy it and never looked at something I planted or tended, got all warm and fuzzy inside and thought "I did that". I try to know my plants, even starting to really learn my mushrooms, and happily harvest wild foods but that is not the same thing.

Anyway new house so not sure what is going here (walnuts, apples and the chillies I brought with me) and one of the bits of land kept throughout it will have some crab apples and probably some plums. There are some sugar plums, sloes and blackberries on the lanes that I will be getting before too long (already had a few) as well.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I actually hate flowers, so I'll go with no.

Technically, the only plant I occasionally get is cat grass, and I give it a bit of water so technically, I do.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I've been interested in starting up a garden in my yard, but there's not too much space and my dog would probably try to eat it all lol.

But we do have some cherry tomatoes in a pot growing right now, and we plan to do potatoes and possibly carrots at some point. I'd like to start trying to grow some spices and herbs, thyme, mint, basil, rosemary, that sort of stuff so I can use them when I cook.

My grandma has a nice garden in her yard that I used to work in with one of my uncles when I lived at my parents house. Had carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, and other such stuff.

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i used to, extensively, we grew carrots, cucumbers, raspberries, sweetpeas, corn, hell, almost any vegetable you can think of, we grew by the hundreds, but passed it on to someone else once my uncle, the gardener, developed pulmonary fibroses, which, ironically came from the dust of said garden, and ate holes in his lungs.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Not me, but my mom is. We have a pretty big back yard here (dunno square footage, maybe 4,000-6,000ft?) and the entire perimeter is full of flowers and other exotic plants, and another patch of backyard has some blueberry and other berry plants growing.
Up here in Washington/Oregon, we get a lot of favorable weather for gardening, and yeah, you definitely see a lot of gardeners here!

(By the way, the gardening and landscape companies in this area make BANK. Small father/son operations with huge clientele pools!)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: