Homebrew Do you ever get tired having to find a screwdriver and unscrew the faceplate every time you need to

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I srtriped a screw from constantly unscrewing and tightening the screw. I going to get a faceplate anyway.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used to, apps like FreeShop have made it pretty much useless to take off the back faceplate now though, unless I want to install a hacked/modded game not available in any region's eshop. But that isn't too often.

Kourin

Touhou Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well I tend to keep my things where I know I can find them so finding a screwdriver is never a hassle.
I use FTP for large transfers and Micro SD management for small ones tho.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, then I realized that there is no point in screwing them back in. The most that I have to do is use a fingernail to unscrew it once every week or so.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's insecure because it's not encrypted, not password protected, and uses WiFi. An attacker could do pretty much anything to your 3DS if they have ftp access by replacing your executables with ones injected with malware. Setting up a bricking device that permanently bricks any 3DS in WiFi range with ftp running would fairly trivial, but I doubt someone would bother.
Now that is reaching, and I suspect even you know how far fetched that sounds. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it just sounds like you're trying to save face with that response. This person is asking for help. A response like that doesn't help at all. Sometimes admitting that maybe you were wrong actually makes you look better.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
It's insecure because it's not encrypted, not password protected, and uses WiFi. An attacker could do pretty much anything to your 3DS if they have ftp access by replacing your executables with ones injected with malware. Setting up a bricking device that permanently bricks any 3DS in WiFi range with ftp running would fairly trivial, but I doubt someone would bother.
That's incredibly paranoid thinking. The attacker would have to be on your own network to do this, and if they are, then PEBKAC; it's your own damn fault. Also, Smashhax can do the same thing technically due to how it utilizes beacons but you don't see people going apeshit over that.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that is reaching, and I suspect even you know how far fetched that sounds. I'm not trying to be a dick, but it just sounds like you're trying to save face with that response. This person is asking for help. A response like that doesn't help at all. Sometimes admitting that maybe you were wrong actually makes you look better.
Not really sure what you're going on about here. The person clearly asked "How is using it on your own local network insecure," and my response ansvers exactly that. Also, what would I be trying to be saving face from? I think you're confusing me with someone else there.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
My router doesn't play nice with 3DS, microsd management app takes 3 minutes to appear in windows, and FTP corrupts everything i transfer, thats if it connects at all.

So i removed the backplate screws completely for easier access to the SD

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's incredibly paranoid thinking. The attacker would have to be on your own network to do this, and if they are, then PEBKAC; it's your own damn fault. Also, Smashhax can do the same thing technically due to how it utilizes beacons but you don't see people going apeshit over that.
Bullshit. An attacker doesn't have to be on the same network at all, and can just set up their own WiFi access point configured to make every WiFi device in range auto connect to it, which is very much doable by anyone with even the most basic knowledge on how WiFi actually works.

ih8ih8sn0w

Koreaboo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really sure what you're going on about here. The person clearly asked "How is using it on your own local network insecure," and my response ansvers exactly that. Also, what would I be trying to be saving face from? I think you're confusing me with someone else there.
If you are going to bother doing that, there are better targets to be made than their 3ds. Even if some person is targeting your ds, you should have some backups laying around locally to recover from the worst.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

0x40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are going to bother doing that, there are better targets to be made than their 3ds. Even if some person is targeting your ds, you should have some backups laying around locally to recover from the worst.
Of course nobody will bother, which is exactly what I said in my first post in this thread. The question was whether or not it's secure, which is what I'm addressing here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU