Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm a lot chattier online.
tongue.gif
Mostly because I find I can relate more to people here. It's not that I try to hide behind a mask, so to speak, I just don't feel like talking to people who will never understand my line of thought.

Though, yes, I can be shy and awkward with people (which is why I suggest they try not to waste their time convincing me to hang out with them) but only because I don't really know how to act with people whose interests differ from mine. 'Sides, I absolutely suck at making small talk. It's so...meaningless. @_@

And drama? Where?
tongue.gif
I haven't been hanging out here often enough, have I?

Zanonymous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forget what I say.
People will forget, forget what they say.
No one will care anyway who thinks what, as far as things go, people you talk to are so far away they're practically nonexistant.
I have more time to think about what I say, so I feel I never screw up, and it's easier to criticize people since they're only option is well-thought responses or flaming although the latter's annoying.
Of course I talk to people more online but I really don't care to talk to people at my school that aren't my friends because I know they're not like me, not many are though.
Anyway...I'm mostly the same person online but I occasionally act as a completely different person to make people think differently of myself for other reasons. This is all zAnonymous...that's the main difference.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Really the only difference between what I post here and my real personality is that I can say what I want and nobody will hold a grudge or hate me for life, so I can be a lot less shy online.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
as compared to how you normally act outside of GBAtemp

because on the internet, you can put up a face
you can be someone totally different
you can hide behind your computer screen for protection
you can create your own personality
you can make up stuff about yourself or pretend you arent something
and no one will know.
Internet police ftw
they can track down your IP and see where you live
unless you are using a proxy
but probably their skillz can surpass the power of proxy servers

and i think its ironic that people try to change themselves online
to be funnier, to be more of a troll, to be more obnoxious, etc
because seriously
who cares?
a lot of people, BM for example
its the cry of a lonely soul and an attention whore (which i do admit to being. so im being a hypocrite too.)
i'd rather be changing my real personality than a fake one one that wont last even 10 years
the internet can change your personality as much as your family and friends do.

i think i basically act the same way in real life.
im probably a lot more awkward and shy in real life though.
but i know a lot of people. that are so weird online.
everybody
on my English forums (yeah. we ARE that nerdy) theres this boy thats like really quiet and awkward in real life
but when he's on the forums. its just like. he's this totally outgoing and social person.

and to comment on the recent drama that has over taken GBAtemp
just. chillax.
10 years from now. or even less
you guys will be looking back on all that crap
and probably will think "wow. how stupid was fighting over (insert drama here). waste of my time"
this place will be gone in less than 10 years..
or even better, you wont even remember what happened. or why you got so angry. or what you were arguing about.
well 10 years passed, so how the heck would you know anyways?
seriously all this drama makes GBAtemp a much stiffer and awkward environment to be in
that's why this place won't last as long as 10 years
take your shit somewhere else. go troll them on AIM or MSN all you want,
mistake 1 of making an EoF
but fighting over silly things. on a gaming forum is quite childish.
but they are kids. all they can do is arguing or making stupid posts. all they cannot do is to read the rules.

/rant.
+1

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty much the same, I find it hard to be someone else as its hard to remember lies as well as the truth.

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
On the internet I pretend to be an internet smart guy who knows so much and acts so arrogant he likes to answer questions with single sentence answers.

I'm also extremely handsome and sexy.

Edit: Being online allows me to be mean to people. I think it is to establish a natural balance since sometimes we're just too overly nice in real life.

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm actually 175% more awesome in real life. I just have to limit myself online since I don't want people to die from my awesomeness all around the world instead of just a couple of people dying when I go outside.
True story.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you get here is pretty much what you get in person. I'll talk to anyone, start joking around as soon as i say hello that first time, and i try not to be a dick (as much as possible, anyway
tongue.gif
).

And i don't understand why people are different online. Anonymity isn't true on the Interwebs anymore. If anything, you're personality IS what is shown on the net. If you would bitch someone out online, thats more truth to your inner feelings that putting up a brave face in person, with a fake smile and a backstabbing attitude.

But i suppose thats just the way it is.

In conclusion, nothing about me would be surprising in real lift... 'cept that i'm 6'4" tall, and i've been told i'm pretty scary to talk to at first. But as soon as i open my mouth, all fear is gone. (Wife® was the first to tell me about that, and i've heard it from a few other people recently lol.)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I guess I act differently online, but that has to do with web forums as a means to communicate, and not with me trying to be different than I am. When talking with someone, you have to get your points across really fast, before you are interrupted, or before you bore everyone to tears. When posting, I'm not limited to short, controlled bursts, I can rant and ramble on and on and on, and end up sounding preachy and stuffy and boring and probably arrogant.

Um.

Not a good thing.

What I meant to say is I'm probably much more fun in real life.

Um.

So anyway what strikes me as odd is that, given Google and Wikipedia and all the vast reservoirs of knowledge and information at their fingertips, and also all the time they have to think about their words (and steal a few jokes), people could be much more intelligent, informed and witty on the Internet than they are in real life; however, the exact opposite applies. People that you might quite like if you happened to meet them socially seem to turn into rabid idiots online. I shall roll my eyes now.
rolleyes.gif

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I don't act differently, although being staff on here in particular does require me to me more forceful in ensuring that others stick to the rules. SO in terms of the forum alone, I do act in the same way I would outside provided that nothing's done that needs dealing with.

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:
I'm definitely different online. You can't shut me up and my IQ is at least 10 points higher than in person too. =P
Same.
I think it has something to do with GBAtemp because on other forums I'm a lot more like irl. YouTube included.
Although, I suppose I feel that way on YouTube because everyone there is retarded.

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
did I ever rant? o.O

I just wanted to point out how people cares even if others act differently online.
and you too.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=108574
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=108754
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107451
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107556
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107251
^ or unless you act that way in real life? D:
I always took time and read your blogs and everything else, and sometimes agreed to what you said, and I know I'm not the only person that cares for others even if they act like a terd.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psycoblaster said:
did I ever rant? o.O

I just wanted to point out how people cares even if others act differently online.
and you too.
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=108574
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=108754
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107451
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107556
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107251
^ or unless you act that way in real life? D:
I always took time and read your blogs and everything else, and sometimes agreed to what you said, and I know I'm not the only person that cares for others even if they act like a terd.
didnt say you ranted.
QUOTE(tinymonkeyt @ Oct 14 2008, 06:45 AM) its the cry of a lonely soul and an attention whore (which i do admit to being. so im being a hypocrite too.)
i ADMITTED to being an attention whore
shows how much you really "took time" to read it thoroughly.
pointless trying to prove something i already confirmed

and yes. i do act that way in real life.
my friends call me perverted cuz i always make sick jokes
and im quite random at times.

ok. w/e. i dont wanna be on bad terms with other people.
just ignore me. and ill stay outta your way.
just dont try to incriminate me with my own blog rants

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one