Gaming Do we finally know the truth about BOTW

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Breath of the Wild probably takes place at the end of the Child Timeline after Twilight Princess and Four Sword Adventures, but we still don't know for sure. Most polls done on the topic show that the Child Timeline is the most popular view, and there's a lot of good evidence for it.

It could be the Fallen Hero Timeline, but that Game Theory video demonstrates a misunderstanding of the Zelda timeline and shouldn't be taken seriously. It makes a lot of mistakes, and many of the pieces of evidence the video brings up were debunked long ago.

It could technically be the Adult Timeline, but game developers have stated that it has no connection to The Wind Waker, so probably not. The ending to Wind Waker also wouldn't make much since if Breath of the Wild takes place in the Adult Timeline.

Last edited by Lacius,

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
I should say the dungeons weren't bad but not particularly good either, they could've done those better. I think it's pretty safe to say they were forced to make the dungeons that small and that simple because of the fact that we are able to explore anything at any time and they had to constrain the difficulty for the dungeons in particular. Aren't all things subjective? To me, Odyssey is an 8 (it was 10 until I started the moon-collectathon and it lost it's pacing) and I think anime in general is garbage. I love the old FF's but 13 and up is shit to me. I think BotW deserve a 9 but if you think it's shit then great, you shouldn't be as stupid as me and force yourself to play it like I played FF13. #neveragain

I look at BotW as its own thing now and for me it'll never be like the old 3d games if they keep going like this. It's just new and different and what it did new was freshen up the open world experience for me, something I never thought they'd manage to do. I thought the game looked boring as HELL from all the pictures and trailers all the way up to release and it wasn't until I played it that I realized how wrong - I - was . Call it Zelda or call it Generic green man open world character game, it just raised the bar for open world games for me.

To me the dungeons are the core of a good zelda game, solving puzzles and unlock new items in a dark dungeon, fuck yea. I don't think Zelda BOTW is garbage, I quite enjoyed it actually but I just dont like the fact that the game is overrated. Its like all those review sites don't have their own opinion. I like the idea they did something new.

Hielkenator2

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
To me the dungeons are the core of a good zelda game, solving puzzles and unlock new items in a dark dungeon, fuck yea. I don't think Zelda BOTW is garbage, I quite enjoyed it actually but I just dont like the fact that the game is overrated. Its like all those review sites don't have their own opinion. I like the idea they did something new.
Then play all zelda games before BOTW. The series needed a new direction, BOTW is icing on the cake on what they have done to the formula.
it playable howeer you want, whenever you want, Everything is approachable, if thing get to hard , move on for the moment and come back later to tackle the challenge in you quest, You stay in the moment and spirit of the main goal, no matter what you do in the game. I think this is awesome, and has never been done.

Comparing to other Zelda games, this is very very different, while still feeling familiar.
I do agree it would be neat to have 8 additional dungeons alongside all those shrines. It could be a fleshed out sidequest.
Some orginal dungeon bosses would be welcome also, but they's have tt be alot more to them than previous games in terms of complexity in order to fit in the game.

Hopefully there will be more DLC like this in the future, the wold of BOTW could be expanded upon easily as I look at it. It a perfect base.

Last edited by Hielkenator2,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It sure as hell isn't a 10/10 game, that we can agree on but it's very good. I'd played pretty much all the Zelda games except MM which I played when the 3ds remake came out and I loved everything about it and it's probably my favorite 3d Zelda game and just like the others it's very different to BotW. I loved every bit of it.

Last edited by isoboy,
Reactions: MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Then play all zelda games before BOTW. The series needed a new direction, BOTW is icing on the cake on what they have done to the formula.
it playable howeer you want, whenever you want, Everything is approachable, if thing get to hard , move on for the moment and come back later to tackle the challenge in you quest, You stay in the moment and spirit of the main goal, no matter what you do in the game. I think this is awesome, and has never been done.

Comparing to other Zelda games, this is very very different, while still feeling familiar.
I do agree it would be neat to have 8 additional dungeons alongside all those shrines. It could be a fleshed out sidequest.
Some orginal dungeon bosses would be welcome also, but they's have tt be alot more to them than previous games in terms of complexity in order to fit in the game.

Hopefully there will be more DLC like this in the future, the wold of BOTW could be expanded upon easily as I look at it. It a perfect base.
I played all the Zelda games, mm as favorite.

THATISRIGHT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

There are some hits there will be coming new DLC's of BOTW, although I highly doubt it. OR Nintendo wil; make more small DLC's like more outfits and extra's. We have to see what the future brings :)

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by spotanjo3,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There isn't a timeline. Each game exists in a separate universe unless it's meant to be a direct sequel to another in the series (link between worlds and majoras mask for instance). Just like Final Fantasy or the Mario games. In fact, it's more comparable to the TV series American Horror Story, where they retain the same actors between seasons, but they play different characters and the story takes place in a separate universe.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Timeline wise BOTW is when the hero dies. This can be seen on the hat from Zelda. (yellow band)
Here is a video to see some sort of proof:

Taking Game Theory as proof for the timeline? Really?
Seriously, the band in the Wild tunic is not even yellow.
The one on the Hero's tunic IS yellow, I don't know where they get that it's yellow, the one the Wild's tunic however is more of a lime green colour at best.
One would have to be fucking colour blind to think otherwise.

I mean just look at the difference here:
link-png.106993

And why would that be the ultimate proof for the timeline? XD
That's the lamest fucking excuse I heard.
People should really stop taking Game Theory as a definitive answer to everything, MatPat is just spitting out shit and nonsense in that video.

Tunics and clothing in BotW should be taken with a grain of salt as far as timeline goes.
If that were the case, I can give you 100 more reasons why it doesn't take place in the Downfall timeline.

The main quest text and quotes lines up with the child timeline, following Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask.
There are a ton of references, even if main story cutscenes.

But sure, a band in a hat makes more sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There isn't a timeline. Each game exists in a separate universe unless it's meant to be a direct sequel to another in the series (link between worlds and majoras mask for instance). Just like Final Fantasy or the Mario games. In fact, it's more comparable to the TV series American Horror Story, where they retain the same actors between seasons, but they play different characters and the story takes place in a separate universe.
American Horror Story has all it's seasons interconnected.
Characters and locations from other seasons do make cameos in newer seasons, starting from Season 4. (Just FYI).

Attachments

• link.png
    link.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,153
Last edited by ShadowOne333,

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure the developers themselves don't have a fucking clue about their "Zelda timeline".

"What is this? NeoGAF?" - It's actually worse. Yes, it is possible.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok lemme do this quick,

1. Legendary sountrack? Nope
  2. Awesome dungeons? Nope
  3. Ocarina? Nope
  4. Weapons that break after killing 2 enemies? Yes
  5. More a collecting game, than a adventure game? Yes
Still worth the "9.7"?

Its weird how people quantify greatness. All i can say is that no other game felt that consistently amazing as my playthrough of Breath of the Wild. Might be the greatest game I've ever played in my life honestly.

MeowMeowMeow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Its weird how people quantify greatness. All i can say is that no other game felt that consistently amazing as my playthrough of Breath of the Wild. Might be the greatest game I've ever played in my life honestly.
You like cod too?

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Timeline wise BOTW is when the hero dies. This can be seen on the hat from Zelda. (yellow band)
Here is a video to see some sort of proof:

it isnt really yellow through and there are just as many references to other games in all diferent timelines. If anything it could hint at a fused timeline or another alternate reality.
Here is a video that points out many flaws with the placement by the game theorist

also to quote one comment:
I write this under every BotW timeline video: Zelda talks in a memory about the hero of twilight, the hero who traveled through time AND the hero who sailed the sea. Not in English, but in Japanese and German, in the background while Ravioli speaks. So there's that

Last edited by ken28,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...