Do my parents have legal standing in my situation?

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried telling her to back off and quit taking things you paid for? sell her stuff and see how she likes it.
Tried, problems revolving around her respect in me and my stuff just kinda escalates things, and believe me, I would, but 2 wrongs don't exactly make it right. I'd just get mental satisfaction and nothing more, and thus the problem would still persist.

6adget

GBAtemp's official atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully it doesn't come to this, but she can't just kick you out if you live there and have a house key. If she does, all you have to do is call the police. no one would get in trouble, but they would tell her that she has to give you a 30 day notice. So make sure she can't take your house key. If you don't have that, and she tells them that you don't live there, then there isn't much they can do about it. Like everyone else is saying, it's time to move out. Yes, it can be hard and scary to move out on your own, but it's also one of the best feelings in the world. My mother used to try and guilt trip me about everything that she wanted me to do. It's not healthy to have a relationship that way with your mother. she will prolly try to act like it's the end of the world when you move. Trust me. she is your mother, and she will get over it in time. but at first she will try to guilt trip you into staying. you are a man now. time to act like one and move out. I mean that in a good way.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
This sounds like a bad person to have in your life. Pawning your things and treating you like something to be controlled? That's textbook abusive dirtbag. Think, if the same situation was happening between a guy and a girl living together, anyone in their right mind would tell the girl to break it off immediately and they'd generally sling some hateful labels at the boyfriend as well. If it was me, I couldn't live with myself having associated with someone who thought that was an alright thing to do to anyone.

But maybe you're just more forgiving. Be careful though, because you don't want to end up putting yourself in unhealthy situations by trying to be the kind of person you think you should be. Trust me.

Judas18

Queen Kunty
Trophies
XP
Country
Not only could she get in shit for selling your things but the people who buy it could also for buying stolen goods. That's only if they had the slightest idea that it was stolen however. I'd be out of that place as soon as possible and I wouldn't have anything to do with her until she learns how to act her age and not her shoe size.

Astral_

GBAtemp elder
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're not living in one of those countries where you're an adult at 21, right ?

Also, why do you have a joint account with your mother ? That's highly unusual. The first step should be to open your own, move your salary to it, and that does not mean drama. It's what everyone does.

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so I'm 18 years old, and I got a 3ds last summer from my older brother who has long since left the house. My mother thinks it is OK to take it whenever she feels like. At first, I didn't care, I just figured parents are gonna be parents. But I draw the line when she actually tried to sell it online, then went as far as sold it to a pawn shop (luckily I knew the guy there, so he let it slide). So does she have any legal right to just take it whenever she pleases if she didn't drop a dime on it, and it was gifted to me from my older brother who bought it online?

If it helps, I live in New York state, 18 years old, and I pay 3/4 of the house light bill

Consider it a rent payment. LOL

Chronomaly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not living in one of those countries where you're an adult at 21, right ?

Also, why do you have a joint account with your mother ? That's highly unusual. The first step should be to open your own, move your salary to it, and that does not mean drama. It's what everyone does.
Started working at 14, and I legally couldn't cash my own checks into an account unless an adult was also there when it was opened (to which they are given full rights, as if they owned it)
I wanted to do that a few times, but each time I did she just went into some fake ass depression, so my dad just says to deal with it, and leave it as it is for now.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so I'm 18 years old, and I got a 3ds last summer from my older brother who has long since left the house. My mother thinks it is OK to take it whenever she feels like. At first, I didn't care, I just figured parents are gonna be parents. But I draw the line when she actually tried to sell it online, then went as far as sold it to a pawn shop (luckily I knew the guy there, so he let it slide). So does she have any legal right to just take it whenever she pleases if she didn't drop a dime on it, and it was gifted to me from my older brother who bought it online?

If it helps, I live in New York state, 18 years old, and I pay 3/4 of the house light bill
You have a right to call the cops on her and file a report. You're 18 and are a legal adult. You have every legal right now that you'll have when you're 30.

Last edited by osaka35,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.