Hacking Disc Read Errors...

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you head over to Wiinja.com youll see that a lot of people are having these errors whilst trying backups. Ive just installed my Wiinja and i am also experiancing them. Here is my meathods and results. I will highlight the thing i changed each time i burned.

Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with imgburn
Smooth moves Wii iso
Tried the disc twice and got disc read errors within a minute both times
cry.gif

Datawrite gery 16x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with imgburn
Smooth moves Wii iso
Tried the disc once and got disc read error after a couple of minutes
cry.gif

Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with CloneCD
Super monkey ball Wii iso
Played for 20 minutes with no disc errors
wub.gif

Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with CloneCD
Call of Duty 3 Wii iso
Played for 20 minutes with no disc errors
wub.gif

Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with CloneCD
Smooth Moves Wii iso
disc read errors within a couple of minutes
cry.gif

Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with CloneCD
Zelda Wii iso
cry.gif

Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 110D FW 1.22
4x with CloneCD
Smooth Moves Wii iso
cry.gif

Ritek G05
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with CloneCD
Smooth Moves Wii iso
cry.gif

Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
LG GSA-H12N FW UL01
8X with imgburn
Smooth Moves Wii iso
cry.gif

Ritek G05
DVD-R
LG GSA-H12N FW UL01
4X with imgburn
Smooth Moves Wii iso
cry.gif

I'll edit this post with more info as i burn them.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice testing. It would be interesting to see how:
Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with CloneCD
Smooth moves Wii iso

works. In other words, the same as the first test just using CloneCD instead of imgburn. CloneCD worked well for the last two tests you posted, but that could just be because of more tolerant games.

Also, it would be helpful to post the MediaID (not sure if that's the correct term) of the discs you used, rather than the brand name on the label, as the media ID is more important.

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with CloneCD
Smooth moves Wii iso

works. In other words, the same as the first test just using CloneCD instead of imgburn. CloneCD worked well for the last two tests you posted, but that could just be because of more tolerant games.

Also, it would be helpful to post the MediaID (not sure if that's the correct term) of the discs you used, rather than the brand name on the label, as the media ID is more important.

funny you should say that LOL. Smooth moves is burning with clone as i type. How do i find the "MediaID"?

QUOTEWhich version of CloneCD do you use?

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Try Maxell or Memorex discs (or anything else with dark, preferably Ritek dye) and use IMGBurn...

I found it the best combo for the GameCube at least

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Verbatim Advanced AZO 8x
DVD-R
Pioneer 111D FW 1.29
4x with CloneCD
Smooth moves Wii iso

As you can see from my edit smooth moves didn't work when burned with clone and zelda also produced no disc errors
frown.gif
I'm going to switch to my Pioneer 110D now and see if that makes any differance.

Oh and by the way.....when you get a "no disc error" you can just eject the disc and put it back in and the game carries on. Gets a bit annoying though
mad.gif

EDIT* Pioneer 110D didn't work either
wacko.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just to let you know:

Verbatim DataLifePlus 8x DVD-R Disc ID: MCC 02RG20
Pioneer 111D @ 111L FW 8.29
8x with ImgBurn
Smooth Moves Wii ISO

Working 100% so far. I've played it for about 2 hours.

**edit**
What ISO burning software you use shouldn't affect the quality.

**edit 2**
funny you should say that LOL. Smooth moves is burning with clone as i type. How do i find the "MediaID"?
In ImgBurn it will say in the text window on the right of the main screen "Manufacturer ID:" with the code next to it.

**edit 3**
I just did another burn with the same media, doesn't look good though.

Verbatim DataLifePlus 8x DVD-R Disc ID: MCC 02RG20
Pioneer 111D @ 111L FW 8.29
6x with ImgBurn
Zelda T.P Wii iso

Haven't tried it on the Wii yet but the NERO quality check was terrible.

Need to do some more burns for anything conclusive but the media/burner combo I'm using seems variable.

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice work Shtonkalot. Ive just checked the media id of my discs and its the same as yours MCC 02RG20. Do you have a link to download the firmware you are using? It would be interesting to see if my smooth moves will work with 8.29 as that seems to be the only differance in our burns except that you used 8x were as i used 4x.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice work Shtonkalot. Ive just checked the media id of my discs and its the same as yours MCC 02RG20. Do you have a link to download the firmware you are using? It would be interesting to see if my smooth moves will work with 8.29 as that seems to be the only differance in our burns except that you used 8x were as i used 4x.
I'm pretty sure the write strategies are the same between those two firmwares. That means there would be no difference in burn quality for the same disc.
However if you want to crossflash to the more feature heavy 111L try this tutorial.

I checked that Zelda disc with the transfer rate test in CD/DVD speed and it looked fine. I just played it for about 1/2 an hour on the Wii and it seemed fine there too.
Maybe try a burn at 8X and see if that helps.
You'll want to make sure your DVD burner is running in DMA mode and not PIO too. Check this page if you aren't sure about that.

vgopal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
20 games, ritek g04 or g05, all burnt at 4x, in pioneer 111d with latest firmware. in imgburn.
all working and ive never had a disc read error or any type of fail.

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
20 games, ritek g04 or g05, all burnt at 4x, in pioneer 111d with latest firmware. in imgburn.
all working and ive never had a disc read error or any type of fail.How long have you played each game for?
You've burned 20 Wii games? or do you mean GC games too.
And as pipesfranco says, how long can you have played them for on a modded Wii? It's not like you had your Wii modded a month ago..?

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive just been and bought some Ritek G05 AAA grade discs and a new LG GSA-H12N dvd writer so ill post some results later. Don't know if the writer is any good but it was the only one in the shop that wasn't a pioneer. Has anyone heard anything about this writer?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MCC 02RG20 is the cheapy verb dye, made in taiwan rather than the high quality dyes.

I'd also burn those discs at 6x rather than 4x (a completely different write strat is used to burn at 4x).

Ritek discs were always great on the gcn, especially when burned on NEC drives.

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This is really starting to P155 me right off now. Ive burnt smooth moves 10 times now. Ive used 3 differant brands of media, 3 differant makes of dvd writer and 3 different pieces of burning software costing me in excees of £40 and every single burn has produced Disc Read Errors. Ive also had read errors on zelda , Avatar and spongebob but what i cant understand is why no read errors on monkey ball or call of duty. Its driving me insane
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

shtonkalot

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't buy anymore burning software, as you can probably now see that wont make a difference. ImgBurn is great and FREE.
Give the Verbatim at 8X a go in your Pioneer.

Good luck.

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't buy anymore burning software, as you can probably now see that wont make a difference. ImgBurn is great and FREE.
Give the Verbatim at 8X a go in your Pioneer.

Good luck.

I didnt buy the software. I was referring to the new burner and discs that i bought. Anyway...ive just burnt smooth moves at 8X on the pioneer with verbs and exactly the same result.
cry.gif
Im seroiusly considering selling off my remaining Wiinja's and forgetting the whole thing untill a properly managed and tested solution emerges.

Phunt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves