Not open for further replies.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Thanks for the updates DML team and "O Disease" or something like that.. Hmm what about the x? I gotta have it wrong >_>
Heh, it's an Ox Disease (silly dying cattle) but no, really, it's just Hexadecimal notation. 0x means hex (which it is), 0b means binary, etc.

Edit: oh, wait ... It's a Hex Disease, like a black magic sickness. :ha:

smk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just heard about this recently and decided to read up on it and while I definitely want to do it, I am unsure if my current Wii will be good for it.

Does the Wii in question need to be able to have the firmware update that allows the Wii to recognize SDHC cards or rather, SD Cards 4 GB and bigger? Because my Wii currently is still v3.3 (and I'd rather like to keep it that way if possible). Also, do you need to have the game to play it? Because I was thinking of ripping some games from my friend or something as I'd rather not have to go out and buy them somewhere online in order to rip.

Finally, it sounds like there's a chance of GCN memory card corruption? Is there a certain revision where that can't occur or not? How do I backup the save files from my memory card? I'd love to read through this giant thread to find out but yeah... I don't mean to be a pain if I'm asking questions that have been answered 1000 times! I just really want to try playing some GCN games again or GCN games I haven't ever played before and this would be the only way for me to.

Thanks for anyone who answers.
No firmware update needed as long as you also install the newest BC (Guide here : http://gbatemp.net/t...te-and-use-dml/ ) DML uses it's own SDHC support so it doesn't have anything to do with the firmware version.

Judging by the firmware version you have I'd guess your wii is fine to rip the games itself. I know a lot of backup loaders that can use DML can take care of that part. wiiflow is the one I use. or you can google "cleanrip" which is a little homebrew that can rip ISOs.

I wouldn't worry about memory card corruption with the newer versions of DML. I think you only worry if you're using NMM (No More Memory cards) to save to the SD card but I think real memory cards are fine. As far as backing them up, I would suggest SaveGame Manager GX (google it).

Edit: Actually, I'm not that sure about SaveGame Manager GX ... but I do know GCMM works http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM

Thanks for answering, if I don't need the newer firmware then I assume I can do something like... this:

Load up a 2 GB SD Card (the one I use for my HBC) and open up NeoGamma or some other backup loader that supports DML (whichever one I end up choosing) with the 2 GB SD Card. Then once the app is loaded, could I switch it to the 8 GB SD Card I have to load the GCN game in question? Or, does that not work? And, what about CleanRip? If, say, I switch SD Cards when that application is loaded, will CleanRip rip the game to the 8 GB SD Card just fine?

Only reason I'm asking is because again, because my Wii can't read those bigger cards upon turning it on so I can't just have the 8 GB SD Card in there from the start. Unless, you're also implying HBC has its own things to recognize bigger cards too? o.o (I never really did read those updates too closely hehe).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Thanks for answering, if I don't need the newer firmware then I assume I can do something like... this:

Load up a 2 GB SD Card (the one I use for my HBC) and open up NeoGamma or some other backup loader that supports DML (whichever one I end up choosing) with the 2 GB SD Card. Then once the app is loaded, could I switch it to the 8 GB SD Card I have to load the GCN game in question? Or, does that not work? And, what about CleanRip? If, say, I switch SD Cards when that application is loaded, will CleanRip rip the game to the 8 GB SD Card just fine?

Only reason I'm asking is because again, because my Wii can't read those bigger cards upon turning it on so I can't just have the 8 GB SD Card in there from the start. Unless, you're also implying HBC has its own things to recognize bigger cards too? o.o (I never really did read those updates too closely hehe).
It makes sense to me that CleanRip would be fine with with switching cards while running. I don't know for sure, though. I know some backup loaders use configuration files from the SD card while they're running so some of those might work better than others. I don't know for sure which if any.

Actually, I kinda think HBC can run bigger SD cards by itself. It might depend on which IOS you have it running on. (You can see that in the top right corner when you press the home button to see the menu.) I know mine can read them and it's running on IOS61. I think I've seen IOS58 run bigger SD cards, too. If you don't have it running on one of those it's probably because you don't have them installed. Just get a copy of a WAD of IOS61 (I suggest ModMii) and install it with MMM or some other WAD manager and then run the HackMii installer again.

Edit: You could always run your homebrew off of a USB thumb drive or something like that, now that I think of it.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I just heard about this recently and decided to read up on it and while I definitely want to do it, I am unsure if my current Wii will be good for it.

Does the Wii in question need to be able to have the firmware update that allows the Wii to recognize SDHC cards or rather, SD Cards 4 GB and bigger? Because my Wii currently is still v3.3 (and I'd rather like to keep it that way if possible). Also, do you need to have the game to play it? Because I was thinking of ripping some games from my friend or something as I'd rather not have to go out and buy them somewhere online in order to rip.

Finally, it sounds like there's a chance of GCN memory card corruption? Is there a certain revision where that can't occur or not? How do I backup the save files from my memory card? I'd love to read through this giant thread to find out but yeah... I don't mean to be a pain if I'm asking questions that have been answered 1000 times! I just really want to try playing some GCN games again or GCN games I haven't ever played before and this would be the only way for me to.

Thanks for anyone who answers.
No firmware update needed as long as you also install the newest BC (Guide here : http://gbatemp.net/t...te-and-use-dml/ ) DML uses it's own SDHC support so it doesn't have anything to do with the firmware version.

Judging by the firmware version you have I'd guess your wii is fine to rip the games itself. I know a lot of backup loaders that can use DML can take care of that part. wiiflow is the one I use. or you can google "cleanrip" which is a little homebrew that can rip ISOs.

I wouldn't worry about memory card corruption with the newer versions of DML. I think you only worry if you're using NMM (No More Memory cards) to save to the SD card but I think real memory cards are fine. As far as backing them up, I would suggest SaveGame Manager GX (google it).

Edit: Actually, I'm not that sure about SaveGame Manager GX ... but I do know GCMM works http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM

You might consider updating to System Menu 4.2 and IOS 70 so that you could get the large SD card support yet still be able to use bannerbomb (v2) if necessary. As long as you update your HBC before you install IOS 70 and System Menu 4.2 (always install an unpatched IOS70 first). You can use Dop-Mii to do this if you wish.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - be sure you have the latest Priiloader (0.7) before you try to update as earlier Preloader versions require ES_DiVerify to be patched.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
You might consider updating to System Menu 4.2 and IOS 70 so that you could get the large SD card support yet still be able to use bannerbomb (v2) if necessary. As long as you update your HBC before you install IOS 70 and System Menu 4.2 (always install an unpatched IOS70 first). You can use Dop-Mii to do this if you wish.
That's stupid advice.
1) 4.1 was the last version to offer something beneficial.
2) You shouldn't install an unpatched version of the IOS, ESPECIALLY not with 4.2/4.3.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I agree with [member='JoostinOnline'] He wants to stay with 3.3 for whatever personal reasons but the only things that I see that a SDHC card in the system menu does is to have more space for savegames and channels. NAND emulation mostly takes care of that and I think that there's few enough games and channels that don't work with NAND emu and enough space in the Wii internal memory that there's no problem with them fitting. Any missing IOS's can just be installed with WAD's so I don't really see the point.

I am kinda curious, though, what other little tweaks/benifits there may be by updating at least to 4.1 (Like there were some improvements in the GUI for network settings in 4.3 although that's not really that important) like a detailed system menu changelog or something ... but that's something for another thread.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I agree with [member='JoostinOnline'] He wants to stay with 3.3 for whatever personal reasons but the only things that I see that a SDHC card in the system menu does is to have more space for savegames and channels. NAND emulation mostly takes care of that and I think that there's few enough games and channels that don't work with NAND emu and enough space in the Wii internal memory that there's no problem with them fitting. Any missing IOS's can just be installed with WAD's so I don't really see the point.

I am kinda curious, though, what other little tweaks/benifits there may be by updating at least to 4.1 (Like there were some improvements in the GUI for network settings in 4.3 although that's not really that important) like a detailed system menu changelog or something ... but that's something for another thread.
There weren't any improvements at all after 4.1. The only changes in 4.2+ were negative (at least for a hacked Wii, no noticeable difference for an unhacked on).

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
hey zizer yes you can i use it with my sneek +di setup for DML

Sorry if this is already answered but I cant find any info about this issue. Can you play GC games with your Sneek+DI setup with DML revision from r55 to r58 with no-disc enabled? For me is working only in r54 with no-disc enabled, with newest revisions (r55 to r58) I get only a black screen. Thanks in advance

Edit: Nevermind.. figured out how lines to edit and compile, now works as expected. Thanks

sk0ld

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can i use dml.elf (from code.google) with sneek or its only for real nand?
It depends what you mean. The .elf's on the SVN and the resulting .app are meant to be installed as MIOS on internal, but that doesn't mean you can't use SNEEK DI with that, because all that is doing is writing the boot.bin and launching. In this scenario you'd just have to have a stock BC installed on your emulated FS.

If you want an .app that you can write directly to your *NEEK FS as BC, you have to change the REALNAND define and compile the code.
As for your 55-58 NoDisc question, of course you have to define NoDisc, and then comment out this line in main.c. It's something I forgot.
if( !ConfigGetConfig( DML_CFG_NODISC ) )

Reactions: 1 person

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I wanna say thanks for the team for the great effort, r58 seems to work fine!

However I still am having the slowdown, I been away for a while but finally I got time to test more games, it seems games work fine but the loading times take long, this wasn't the case before however, I wonder would formatting the SD help? it's FAT32 now!

I would suggest to the team if it's possible to make the games run via USB without copying the data to the SD, is this even possible?

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't have any control over that, I'm just making some possible assumptions.

If you have any queries, ask someone from the DML development team. As I can't answer any of your questions about either development or progress for DML. As I'm just in the dark about it, just like everyone else.

By the way... my answers and assumptions, might not be exactly correct and I could actually be wrong, if I were to start making up my own theories and what could possibly happen. But... I am easily misunderstood sometimes, so you'll have to bare with me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...