Hacking Dios Mios 2.5 issue

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I have usb loader gx r1203 I believe, and dios mios 2.5.. When I load up gamecube games, after a while they shut off on their own and turn the wii off. I've been led to believe this is a hard drive issue.

Someone said 2.6 set the ping delay to 25 seconds of inactivity as to avoid this issue. But in 2.6, all my GC games have freeze issues at various points in each game. Windwaker always freezes while at sword training, and GC paper mario always froze on the menu. But these work fine in 2.5

So I was wondering if it would be possible for someone to create a custom 2.5 revision of dios mios that has a 25 second ping delay?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The 25sec delay does NOT fix the Wii shutting down, it's only to prevent the HDD to go to sleep mode and making the game freeze (not shut down).

About your freezes in 2.6 and not in 2.5 then it would means that "25sec" is not what you need, on the contrary.

2.6 added two things:
- 25sec instead of 120sec for HDD sleep timer. If this is the cause of the freezes, you may need to set it back to 2min instead of 25sec.
- disc2 auto-swap features by detecting when a game require a disc change. If this is the cause of the freezes, maybe your setup or game is sending a "need to swap disc" when not needed? but we can't monitor it.

And some IRQ reset, but I don't understand them.

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh so its possible this has nothing to do with my harddrive then? Cause I was thinking of trying dios mios lite and seeing if the GC games have this problem on SD card

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can try to update DM2.6 again if you took it on release day (there were two version at few hours interval).
You can try another loader, for example DMBooter.
if all fails, you can try DML and games on SD card to see if the freezes are part of the swap feature (present in both DM and DML) or part of the sleep timer (only in DM).

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so you want me to test dios mios lite 2.6 and dios mios 2.6

Also I just updated to usb loader gx r1204 and now it says dios mios 2.5 in the credits now. Before when I had r1203 it said I had dm2.3 or something (even though I had 2.5).
Maybe the previous version didn't recognize I had 2.5 or higher? Could it be why I had the issue still?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's not the issue.
It's just that detection of the installed DM(L) is hardcoded in the loader, so versions released after the Loader are unknown and detected as "+" (more recent than the current known version at the date of the loader's release).
It doesn't make DM incompatible, just the version not detected.

I'm using hardcoded detection because the version number used in DM(L) wad file was not always updated and reflecting the real installed version.

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh okay, well I'll test various scenarios and see what happens.

Cause I figured out how to force it to do the shut off thing. I basically just load up a gc game, and don't even bother playing it, and after a few minutes it just shuts off by itself.

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I tried redownloading dios mios 2.6 and it turns out I must've had the first version, cause
the freezes are no longer there.

So now that the freeze issue has been resolved to my knowledge, I want to resolve the power down issue.
I tried playing Wind Waker with DM 2.6 and it still powers off after 5 minutes
of no controller activity. If I play the game actively it lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours
but still shuts off eventually.

So I decided to go ahead and attempt playing the game using DM Lite 2.6. It prompted me to copy
to SD and then I started the game under the same conditions and then I stopped using the controller.
I left it on for 3 hours and it never shut off. (Also the HDD was unplugged after I copied the game to
SD, cause I didn't know if the power off thing would still interfere.. just in case.)

This means it can't be the swap issue and instead must be something with the HDD and Dios Mios. All
versions from 2.2 to 2.6 have the shut off issue for me.

I guess I can use DM lite until this issue is resolved but I have lots of Gc games on my HDD and it'd
be more convenient to play them directly from usb instead of having to copy and delete from my SD card
whenever I run out of room.

So now that we've seemed to pinpoint the issue and we know its the HDD and Dios Mios, what should I do
next?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried launching a game (Mario sunshine), and left it untouched for 20min (in town, not on title screen/intro looping), it didn't shut down.
Other users didn't report this problem, so it's probably only on your side.

It could be your HDD, but I don't know how to debug that.
Can't you disable the sleep timer completely (if it has a sleep timer)?
Do you have another HDD to test with? even an USB flash stick.

I looks like your drive is set to 5min of inactivity, so once it shutdowns DM crashes and shutdowns the wii.
The waker in DM doesn't seems to work for everyone. other users suggested that it's because it's always asking the same sector which is in cache so the drive doesn't seek the data.

Solutions I can think:
- disable the timer with a software (usually provided by your HDD maker)
- use another HDD which can disable timer
- use a flash drive (SSD? USBstick)

gooddegenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh I figured out.. its only windwaker that does the inactivity thing to me (after about 5 minutes with DM)

but every game does the thing where it shuts off randomly sometime after 45 minutes to a few hours.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P