Digital Economy Act supporters have their say

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
A range of rights holders, including the Premier League, are given the opportunity to argue their case for the Digital Economy Act.

A number of organisations have joined forces to put across their case in favour of the Digital Economy Act.

BT and TalkTalk became outspoken critics of the Act last year and managed to win a judicial review back in November.

However, the High Court has now granted those for the legislation the chance to give their side of the story in its defence.

The group of nine organisations defending the Act includes the Premier League, BPI and the Producers' Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT).

Calling the judicial review granted to the ISPs a “misconceived case,” John McVay, chief executive of PACT, told The Guardian: "The act can help repair the damage that illegal downloading causes to the UK creative industry and reduce the threat to the hundreds of thousands of jobs that the creative companies supports.”

"The DEA is the result of many years of consultation and presents a reasonable and balanced solution."

The Digital Economy Act was controversial from its beginnings as a bill when the Business Secretary of the day, Peter Mandelson, suggested a three strike rule for illegal filesharers before they got their internet connections cut off.

The legislation was pushed through in the wash-up phase of the last Government, leading to more doubt as to whether it had gone through proper scrutiny in the House of Commons.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/630499/digital-econ...-have-their-say

Whilst this act is a bad thing, it's difficult to determine if it would actually have been passed if they hadn't pushed it through in the last moments of the previous administration without actually understanding it. Needless to say it certainly needs some real discussion and debate rather than a whole load of no-one being in the chamber and the misunderstanding of what an IP is.

drewmerc

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a debate over a uk law? when has that ever happened?
generally if the house of lords dont stop it we are fucked
is it luck this time or do they know they eu courts is going to laugh this law back to blighty

btw hi xist hows things

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
How is it a bad thing? They're protecting their intellectual property, we can't hold that against them.
^ This

These people have the right to defend themselves, regardless of whether we will pay heed to it.

This Act better not get through otherwise other countries will sadly follow

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why do you people care? It's not like you're doing anything illegal like say pirating right?... Right?
rofl.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
GundamXXX said:
Wintrale said:
How is it a bad thing? They're protecting their intellectual property, we can't hold that against them.
^ This

These people have the right to defend themselves, regardless of whether we will pay heed to it.

This Act better not get through otherwise other countries will sadly follow

Schools, libraries, hospitals, government buildings can all lose access to the internet PERMANENTLY under the provision of this act. As it stands it's guilty until proven innocent...it's not the principle it's the act itself.

By all means support the removal of civil rights if your idiotic to believe everything the government does is right, but don't frame it as protection of license holders rights.

(And drew....crappy. I'll probably PM you when i get a chance to moan at you. How's tricks at your end? )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P