Status
Not open for further replies.

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alas, if you would listen when people say this, repeatedly:

We do not know if what you say will be the case. All tueidj has said is it will not support piracy. He has not said how this will be implemented, in fact I get the impression not even he himself knows.

In other words, you don't know if it will be "useless" to any group of people because you do not know what "limitations"/protections will be in place.
This. Just to illustrate your point, here's a method that would work without requiring a working drive, native GC support, or an undamaged disc. Suppose Devolution asks for an e-mail address and a registration key. To get the key, you'd need to send tueidj some kind of proof that you have an actual collection of legit GC games (like people have been offering to do already). That might prove to be too much of a drain on his time, but it would be possible and wouldn't devalue the stated purposes of the software. The "anti-piracy measures" could also be as simple as making users agree to a EULA that says they won't pirate games, or bringing back the "I need to enable an extra option if you want to pirate games" prompt that disables the software if you answer "yes."

Would people be able to get around this and pirate games anyway? Sure. But even if Devolution required making encrypted backups from original discs through the loader as people are suggesting, nothing is stopping people from borrowing and backing up a friend's games, or backing up their entire collection and then selling it. All AP measures are imperfect and can only discourage piracy. What makes us think Devolution will be senselessly draconian about it?

Reactions: 1 person

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The inevitable shitstorm that would have been brought about by implementing any sort of online activation means it was quickly discarded from the list of ideas. People still bitch about having to enter their MAC address to download Letterbomb because they think it's some sort of information collecting scheme.

Reactions: 3 people

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The inevitable shitstorm that would have been brought about by implementing any sort of online activation means it was quickly discarded from the list of ideas. People still bitch about having to enter their MAC address to download Letterbomb because they think it's some sort of information collecting scheme.
Really? Wow that is very sad if people can't even trust Bushing or the rest of the team twiizers. No respect these days. :glare:

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I figured that wouldn't be the method you would actually go with, even for practical reasons. I was just pointing out that it isn't that hard to imagine ways to let Devolution do what its stated goals are without being a warez loader. None of them would be ironclad, but it's crazy for people to think you don't already know this. I don't get what the fuss is about anyway. If Devolution doesn't end up being usable for some people, it's not as if they lost something they ever had to start with.

Reactions: 1 person

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What does a pc dvd drive do with a GC disc?
AFAIK you can not read the actual data.
But what exactly is the reaction?

Because if that reaction is (mostly) bijective to the game that would be sufficient to let an pc app do the authentication
eg for ppl whose wii cant read gc discs (they would of course might need to dl the actual data from the inet)

the big problem is that he and trusted submitters would need to build a database of the reaction to game relation
a lot of work but possible (assuming the assumption holds for most game / dvd drive combinations, which I have no clue about)

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have been inclined to agree with the first paragraph, but no one ever achieved piracy on riivolution.

some of us did remove the antipiracy in riivolution, but chose not to release anything out of respect for the original authors' intentions.

while on that topic, there isnt really any method that will make everybody happy. but i think tying the game to a specific HDD is an idea worth looking into. that would allow you to dump a game 1 time and then take your hard drive over to a friend's house and bring your games with you and not have to lug around a cd case or your whole console or anything.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think he should add in ISO downloading, or even cloud ISO loading. So that way everyone can share. then he should charge for the software as well.

no matter what happens, this project rocks, i can't believe i keep checking back just to see the crap being spewed but oh well, its entertainment.

if i can't use it then so be it, i'm pleased with DML. if there is AP checks in place, then so be it.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What does a pc dvd drive do with a GC disc?
AFAIK you can not read the actual data.
But what exactly is the reaction?

Because if that reaction is (mostly) bijective to the game that would be sufficient to let an pc app do the authentication
eg for ppl whose wii cant read gc discs (they would of course might need to dl the actual data from the inet)
Most PC drives are capable of doing the necessary steps to check the authenticity of a GC game, but because the OS normally tries to read the disc's actual data as soon as it is inserted the drive ends up stuck in a read-error-retry loop before any program has a chance to do anything.

EnigmaXtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm a bit late to the party;

So let me get this straight, someone has finally cracked Gamecube USB Loading, this isnt a hoak.

Wow ok um speculation ok, first off here's hoping it can be implemented into our usb loaders like GX

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow ok um speculation ok, first off here's hoping it can be implemented into our usb loaders like GX
I think it's a standalone homebrew app. The application is worked and maintained solely by Tueidj. He owns the code and he is not using GPL in any matter so it will be closed source. I don't think it will be implemented in any other loader unless Tueidj decides otherwise. This project can be considered like an exclusive one.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If this thread is going to be largely composed of deleted posts, why not simply remove them altogether and remove the unnecessary and distracting clutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-