Homebrew [Development Question, Unity] Stupid questions about Unity for 3DS.

ChrisNonyminus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(This is my first time posting here, please be gentle)
I have some questions about using Unity 5 for 3DS, mainly the C# scripting framework.
1. Can System.IO be used? If so, how would I use it? I.e are there any special device names I need to use like sdmc://?
2. What's the limits of this? I plan to just build for new 3ds, but I'm not sure how far it can be pushed. I'm about to reimplement a certain 3D PC game from 2004 (no, not half life 2. no, not doom 3) in Unity while decompiling its Mac version (it has symbols) and using that decompilation for C# scripts, and I'm not sure if the 3DS can handle it, but I'm morbidly curious to try doing it anyway.
3. Are there any examples of Unity projects for 3DS? Especially the use of System.IO.
4. What does Application.persistentDataPath resolve to on the 3DS?

Last edited by ChrisNonyminus,

zoyaa10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
1. Yes, System.IO can be used on the 3DS, but you will need to use the specific device name “sdmc://” when accessing the file system.
2. It is possible to use Unity 5 on the 3DS, but it will depend on the game you are trying to develop. The 3DS is not as powerful as a PC, so you may find that it cannot handle certain complex operations or graphics.
3. There are several tutorials and examples available online for using Unity on the 3DS.
4. Application.persistentDataPath resolves to “sdmc:/” on the 3DS.

Reactions: AliSd

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What's the limits of this? I plan to just build for new 3ds, but I'm not sure how far it can be pushed. I'm about to reimplement a certain 3D PC game from 2004 (no, not half life 2. no, not doom 3) in Unity while decompiling its Mac version (it has symbols) and using that decompilation for C# scripts, and I'm not sure if the 3DS can handle it, but I'm morbidly curious to try doing it anyway.
think of it as if you were developing a mobile game for a budget phone from 2015. It's very weak and it starts lagging the minute you do ANYTHING unoptimized. All your meshes, your sounds, your particles... everything must be done properly you can't just spawn objects without, say, object pooling. You can't use realtime shadows. You can't just import sounds, you gotta do it in the right format and with compression depending on if it's BGM or SFX... and stuff like that. Otherwise you get memory leaks in just a few seconds and FPS starts dropping.

That's probably the only advice i can give? i never tried persistentdatapath and system.io but logic says it should work like guy above me said. You could write the persistentdatapath on screen somehow if you have doubts. Simply write the output of that on a text on a UI.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll have to pay $40 more for 1 gig it's just meh