Death Note - Do I read it or watch it first?

Death Note - Do I read it or watch it first?

• Read it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Watch it

• Doesn't matter really

• Total voters

Cloak519

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello Tempers!
Today Vol. 1 of Death Note arrived from Amazon and I was planning on reading it later on.
But then this guy called iMasaru (ever heard of him
unsure.gif
?) pops up on MSN and says that it's better to watch it before I read it because it will affect me differently.
So, to those in the know - should I read it or watch it first? Or does the order even matter?
Thanks
smile.gif
!

Paarish

Connor's Nublet
Trophies
XP
Country
I've only watched it but the series is well done. Can't say the same for the manga. But I don't think it really matters

And iMasaru doesn't know anything. He sounds like a noob

YetoJesse

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ok, how about if you do the one before the other, you'll probably stop doing the other?..
I'm reading it because i'm not that fond of watching anime... i prefer reading the manga...
but if you know everything through the anime and then read the manga, you'll be like:"I knew that.... and that aswell.... yeah, DUHH, Light!!1 (nub..)" so choose one (probably read it as you got the book) and watch it if you like ^^

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure why people would recommend watching before reading the manga. The movies basically ruin most of the story arcs for the manga. I figure it's best to read the manga, get the full sense of the world and its intricacies, then watch the anime and movies as a supplement.

Be warned though, Death Note is DENSE with text. If you're just 'dabbling' in Japanese and you're struggling to read Dragon Ball or whatever, this is going to give you a huge run for your money. You'll learn a lot though if you power through it.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
doyama said:
Not sure why people would recommend watching before reading the manga. The movies basically ruin most of the story arcs for the manga. I figure it's best to read the manga, get the full sense of the world and its intricacies, then watch the anime and movies as a supplement.

Be warned though, Death Note is DENSE with text. If you're just 'dabbling' in Japanese and you're struggling to read Dragon Ball or whatever, this is going to give you a huge run for your money. You'll learn a lot though if you power through it.
I think it's easier to get into the heavier story in the manga if you have seen the anime.

Cloak519

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I like rich, heavy stories
unsure.gif
See, this is the problem I'm facing... I'm not really sure if I'm going to watch anime in general much in the long run. I always prefer to read things instead of watching them. And I was thinking that watching the anime might ruin my enjoyment of the manga :/.

ShadowNeko003

~Nyah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the manga before watching the anime (but that's cause the anime wasn't out yet in Japan.) Yes, there's a lot of text in the manga, so if you don't mind reading a lot of text (especially for the second half of the manga), then I would suggest the manga. If you don't like reading, then watch the anime and then you can skim though the manga for parts that aren't included in the anime. I also would save the movies until after you've either finished the manga or the anime.

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
30084pm said:
I've only watched it but the series is well done. Can't say the same for the manga. But I don't think it really matters

And iMasaru doesn't know anything. He sounds like a noob
I've watched it aswell as read the manga. I think i would know what i'm talking about tyvm...

on topic:
The only reason you'd want to read the manga version of Death Note is for the alternative ending and Spin off chapter added after the series ended.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have read the Manga watched the Anime and the Movies and I would definietly recommend you like you seem to plan now to read the Manga !

especialy for Death Note its a very intelligent story.
If you do not like story bades stuff (where there not not only stupid action without sense) you should read (well Anime's not bad either really) cuz at least the movie takes out the intelligence and misses the action which makes it more or less ... nothing ... just boring.

Omninox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Youkai said:
I have read the Manga watched the Anime and the Movies and I would definietly recommend you like you seem to plan now to read the Manga !

especialy for Death Note its a very intelligent story.
If you do not like story bades stuff (where there not not only stupid action without sense) you should read (well Anime's not bad either really) cuz at least the movie takes out the intelligence and misses the action which makes it more or less ... nothing ... just boring.
The movies also rearranged the story in a weird way o.O

Cloak519

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
iMasaru said:
The only reason you'd want to read the manga version of Death Note is for the alternative ending and Spin off chapter added after the series ended.
Eh? That makes it sound like watching anime is always better than reading manga
blink.gif

Omninox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CA519705950 said:
iMasaru said:
Eh? That makes it sound like watching anime is always better than reading manga
blink.gif
it's kinda hard to explain without giving spoilers :S

Like i said to you before, it's up to you which you go for, i just found that the anime portrayed certain scenes better then in the manga, and if you read about it before watching it, it wouldn't be as affective.
It's mostly up to personal preference :3

edit: Even if you don't want to take my word into account, i'm sure the poll answers your question anyways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users