Gaming Cynos360 v2 and older XBOX360 FreeBoot Assistance :)

SoraK05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Hi.
I have an older XBOX360 from 2007 and it is updated to the Summer 2008 update (I think), which is the 7XXX something update - the last update before the boot of the 360 was updated to block FreeBoot from working.
I received the Cygnos360 v2 chip and I wanted to install it into my XBOX360 and have FreeBoot installed, and was wondering if someone could help put me in the right direction towards accomplishing that.

* The Cygnos360 v2 board with the mini-usb port doesn't have an actual switch on it, and I'm wondering what to do to accomplish placing a switch onto the board so I can flick between the Cygnos360 v2 NAND and real NAND.
* Once installed, how can I go about actually flashing FreeBoot, but all onto the Cygnos360 v2 NAND, leaving the original NAND completely alone (or as alone as humanly possible), so that I can simply load up the XBOX360 safely just from the Cygnos360 v2.

If someone could help me out with direction on these questions, I would really appreciate the help a lot! I've tried searching but I couldn't find the exact answer to how to accomplish those 2 things (adding a switch to the board, and installing FreeBoot to the Cygnos360 v2 and leaving the original NAND as untouched as possible).

Thanks for the help
smile.gif

SoraK05

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You do not need the cygnos but if you want to use it and have gone through all the effort then so be it. There is no need to jump back to the real NAND at all (indeed even if I had the ability I would no do it for fear of upgrading something- even if you ) and no real advantage to dual NAND these days (we have dashlaunch if you want to vary your patches). Equally if you have a dump of the original NAND then you are sorted anyway and can flash that back at any point you like.
Install manual if you lack it
http://www.cygnos360.com/Downloads/Cygnos3...anual_V1.04.pdf It lacks the necessary data on the freeboot 0.3 line though so ignore that for the most part. Also do pay attention to the resistors vs cygnos firmware part (they sort it out onboard in later firmwares- no more resistors needed).

Still the switch- chances are you have a revision F chip which lacks a switch. If it is older and is broken (or broken off in shipping) or just not there then adding a new one (or indeed soldering a few wires you can use to fake it) is nothing drastic.

After you have updated the cygnos' onboard firmware (in the guide) the only real difference between the cygnos and onboard NAND (not sure where XD cards sit these days) is that you need a slightly different SMC hack to reflect the difference in said memory and/or hack origin. You make this with an original dump and the "cygnos toolbox" available from
http://www.cygnos360.com/downloads-2/ (there are prehacked versions floating around too if you go looking)
http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1827.nfo

After this you build a freeboot image however you would normally (you can use the tool/method that comes with freeboot), bestpig's freeboot toolbox maker http://www.bestpig.fr/ (which is quite nice although you will probably need to check the first cygnos v2 option- leave the zephyr unless you are using that) or your chosen build method.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The dual NAND setup is of no real use anymore, it's for that reason that Cygnos themselves have ditched the dual NAND setup with the V2 Revision F. You're stuck with having 7371 or earlier on the second nand, so there's nothing you can do with that which you can't do with FreeBoot. Flashing FreeBoot to a single NAND solution is harmless enough as long as you have a dump of the original NAND.

If you don't have a switch, i'd check to see if the board you have is the previously mentioned Revision F.

Even with a dual NAND Cygnos, you won't be able to update the dashboard version on the 360's own NAND. Doing so will blow the eFuses which in turn will prevent the JTAG hack from working.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
before doing anything make sure to remove the r6t3 resistor, this way your xbox can never be blocked from the jtag explot again.

SoraK05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Thanks for the replies.
I have the 7371 update on my NAND, and the Cygnos360 v2 is a revision F.

Do I have to make a dump of my NAND, or can I flash FreeBoot straight to the Cygnos360 v2 and it will work? I'm confused since I don't have access to the switch, and can't make a dump of my NAND, whilst I assume that by default that without a switch it is set to use the Cygnos360 v2 NAND.

Also, if I wanted to solder a switch onto the board if I need it for some reason, can someone explain how to do it easily? I'm not sure about that :S

Thanks again
smile.gif

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is ONE NAND, your consoles NAND. There is NO NAND on the revision F. I already stated that in the post above. That's why it doesn't have a switch, there's nothing to switch to.

You need to go googling for a guide specific to the Cygnos360, or try reading it's manual. If you are asking those kinds of questions, you probably shouldn't be JTAG'ing it at all and the Cygnos360 only makes it more complicated. The NAND-X is a far better choice than the Cynos360 Ref. F under these circumstances, and it's far easier.

When JTAG'ing a console, it's very easy to brick your console.

SoraK05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Sorry, I misunderstood that.
Thanks for clearing it up - I understand now how to do it properly.

Thanks a lot for all the help
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D