ROM Hack [control] mario 64 ds

Cortexfou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,
I think someone already ask that but it's old so I ask again if there are some update.
Is it possible to optimise the control in mario 64 DS with the 3DS (like ananog control) ?
Thanks

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It is impossible for a DS or DSi commercial game to read the analog stick

However there is an "analog stick" patch for Mario 64: the game still only receives 4-arrow input but it's interpolated to be "better"

Reactions: Stealphie

Cortexfou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I suspected that, it's sad. I thought of another thing : do the reverse that what does the game. you must maintain a key to run but can we do the opposite? In other words, maintain a key to walk ? It will help a little and it will be more pleasant I find because we run more than we walk in this game. Is it possible to do that mod on the rom ?

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It should be doable. One could modify the twlfirm to write the analog stick axes to some ram address and then patch the game to use those values. The game already have touch controls, so maybe one could fake the analog stick as a bottom screen press.

Cortexfou

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I found, on the mario 64 ds star world project, a control test rom where the character always run and to walk, you need to press X (Y is the view, A is jum and B punch) so it's possible. How can I do that on a normal mario 64 ds (E) rom ?

TheBeefBai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not unless somehow someone changes how NTR mode reads the circle pad, which is as a d-pad. I would kill for a mod like that, though.

If you're talking about playing this on a 3DS (Which is what I'm assuming) the game has circle pad inputs, even to the point of different thresholds (How far the analog stick is being moved) for different walking speeds. Nintendo, at the time, didn't think about one of their handholds having both analog input as well as DS backwards compatability which is why there is no way of bypassing the need to use the run button.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I found, on the mario 64 ds star world project, a control test rom where the character always run and to walk, you need to press X (Y is the view, A is jum and B punch) so it's possible. How can I do that on a normal mario 64 ds (E) rom ?
In the download of that very hack there are 2 versions, the "vanilla" one just changes the controls, the other one has other mods (character hat cubes, all characters mostly play as Mario, etc)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there a way to mod the circle pad to emulate the touch screen to an extent? Hard to explain.
It's probably possible, but significant patching of twlfirm would need to be done

While the skills involved are rather different, consider the fact nobody released a "1:1 resolution by default" patch which would just be a matter of reversing a condtion... while faking drag and drop would mean actually writing original code

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's probably possible, but significant patching of twlfirm would need to be done

While the skills involved are rather different, consider the fact nobody released a "1:1 resolution by default" patch which would just be a matter of reversing a condtion... while faking drag and drop would mean actually writing original code

It would make a lot more sense than trying to force (and fail) a game, that had no analog support, to read the circle pad. Hm. Dunno.

Skelux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PC only, from what I've seen the analog data doesn't carry on into DS mode, it would need some firmware hacking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...