Hacking Configurable USB Loader

afdude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
You want to use the return_to_channel option. Set its value to the ID of your Cfg forwarder channel. If you don't have a forwarder channel, you can follow these instructions to install the DCFG one.

thank you dr. clipper! I have the forwarder in and its a blessing! hehe. I read the aprt on needing to set the ID which in this case is indeed return_to_channel=DCFG. And it mentions of going into the wii menu to set this value. I am unfamiliar of how to do this exact part. I could not find that info on the link. Thanks.

mitchmalibu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oggzee said:
What tools did you use to create the partitions and format them?
Could you send me the mbr (first) sector of that drive for inspection?
I'm not sure what tool would be the best for you to use, but for example on linux you would use:
dd if=/dev/sdc of=mbr.dat bs=512 count=1
I don't know a windows equivalent, if anyone knows, please jump in.

I think it's more a problem on my end than on yours.

I already had problems back in the days of the first usb loaders and had to create my partition through hermes loader. I don't really remember how I managed to get the 360 partition on the drive either
frown.gif

But I know for sure that my usb enclosure for my hdd is really old and I will probably change it for something more efficient.

I also have no way to get you that boot sector as for now
frown.gif

edit : I tried formatting the whole drive to fat32 (also tried ntfs) to be able to use it at the same time on my xbox and on my wii, but I get the same problem (RAW partition seen as fat1 (even for ntfs)). I used windows disk management for the ntfs formatting and easeus partition manager for the fat32 formatting.

edit 2 : I don't understand really why, but on my 2nd reformatting in fat32, the whole thing just started to work. The mysteries of IT ...

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
jjdavola said:
Dr. Clipper said:
You want to use the return_to_channel option. Set its value to the ID of your Cfg forwarder channel. If you don't have a forwarder channel, you can follow these instructions to install the DCFG one.

How does a n00b do that?
blush.gif

You follow those instructions for the forwarder and then add the line "return_to_channel=DCFG" without the quotes to config.txt. You can do that with your Windows PC with the Configurator app that came with Cfg by running the app (it should be in the usb-loader directory on you SD card, but get it from the link in my sig if you don't have it), reading config.txt from sd:/usb-loader (or usb:/usb-loader), changing the return_to_channel option value to DCFG and then generating config.txt to save over the old one.

bodean said:
Forgive my n00b question, but how do I create a channel for this from my wii main menu? With USB Loader GX, I have a channel that I click on, and it takes me right into the app. Probably an obvious answer, and maybe I overlooked it in the FAQ, but can't figure it out. Thanks.
This link gives you really easy instructions for a recommended one.

QUOTE(teconmoon @ Sep 26 2010, 04:13 AM) My hard drive is formatted to ntfs, and I can load games onto it fine using wbfs_file.exe to convert all the isos to wbfs files, but installing games to the hard drive from the wii doesn't work. I saw in the bug fix thing for v60 that this was supposedly fixed, so is it just my hard drive being iffy or another random issue?
To allow Cfg to write to NTFS drives, you need to add "ntfs_write=1" to config.txt (without quotes). Use the Configurator as mentioned in the other reply above if you are having trouble.

QUOTE(afdude @ Sep 26 2010, 04:38 AM)
thank you dr. clipper! I have the forwarder in and its a blessing! hehe. I read the aprt on needing to set the ID which in this case is indeed return_to_channel=DCFG. And it mentions of going into the wii menu to set this value. I am unfamiliar of how to do this exact part. I could not find that info on the link. Thanks.
See my first reply in this post. You don't set it in the Wii Menu, you add it to the config.txt file which resides in the usb-loader directory of Cfg on your SD/USB.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
mitchmalibu said:
edit 2 : I don't understand really why, but on my 2nd reformatting in fat32, the whole thing just started to work. The mysteries of IT ...
My guess is that the partition table was somehow screwed up and I was hoping to be able to look at the mbr sector on your drive it would help explain things, but now that it's formatted we'll never know
biggrin.gif

But if it works fine now it doesn't matter
wink.gif

Btw, what do the partition selection screen say now, does it display it as P#1 FAT... or RAW FAT?

mitchmalibu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
oggzee said:
My guess is that the partition table was somehow screwed up and I was hoping to be able to look at the mbr sector on your drive it would help explain things, but now that it's formatted we'll never know
biggrin.gif

But if it works fine now it doesn't matter
wink.gif

Btw, what do the partition selection screen say now, does it display it as P#1 FAT... or RAW FAT?

Read a bit about easeus partition manager and some auto mbr fixing seems to have done the trick, my mbr was somehow screwed from the beginning but all is good now.

Keep up the good work
smile.gif

The partition selection says P#1 FAT1

Sacohen9665

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having problems with New Carnival Games.

It just goes through the opening credits and then hangs at a white screen.

I got it to work once last night, but not this morning.

The time it worked I had turned on ISO reload blocking, but the nextmorning it would not work with the same settings.

It is a PAL copy on an NTSC system.

I've tried setting the video type to system default and forcing it to NTSC and neither worked.

I've tried some other settings that I can't remember right now, but they didn't work either.

Any help is appreciated.

jjdavola

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
jjdavola said:
Dr. Clipper said:

How does a n00b do that?
blush.gif

You follow those instructions for the forwarder and then add the line "return_to_channel=DCFG" without the quotes to config.txt. You can do that with your Windows PC with the Configurator app that came with Cfg by running the app (it should be in the usb-loader directory on you SD card, but get it from the link in my sig if you don't have it), reading config.txt from sd:/usb-loader (or usb:/usb-loader), changing the return_to_channel option value to DCFG and then generating config.txt to save over the old one.
Thank you! Where do I put that in the config.txt file? Can it go anywhere? This is my entire file:

# USBLoader config
# lines starting with # are comments
# see README-CFG.txt for help on options

# theme
theme = BlueMatrix

# gui
gui = start
gui_transition = fade
gui_style = flow
gui_rows = 2

# device
device = usb

My bonus question is how do I add cover art to a game that it just a mod of another game? (e.g., a modded Guitar Hero game)?

Thank you!!!

Razor1993

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ogzee are you Maybe a PS3 coder too? Or maybe a PS3 owner?
becouse Waninkoko is!
and he makes some Great stuff for the PS3 like PSfreedom.
and i Ask if you are able to create a Gui for the PS3 Backup Manager and let it Look like the Configurable USB Loader???
Hope u can!

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I just recently started using the return to channel option and it works exactly as intended but with one adverse side effect

while playing a game, if I just hold power, to power off the console, it returns me to configurable usb loader instead of powering off the wii, this only started happening after I set up the return to channel option in the config.txt

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
XFlak said:
I just recently started using the return to channel option and it works exactly as intended but with one adverse side effect

while playing a game, if I just hold power, to power off the console, it returns me to configurable usb loader instead of powering off the wii, this only started happening after I set up the return to channel option in the config.txt
I get this too without using return_to_channel. The Wii will often reset instead of powering off. It's something to do with the way certain games shut down interacting with the cIOS and you just have to deal with it, switching the Wii off again once it returns to Cfg.

afdude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
return to channel is a godsend for this and i thank you for pointint me in the right direction Dr clipper. Its very nice after you come out of a game, if you arent done playing to be able to load something else.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Dr. Clipper said:
XFlak said:

I get this too without using return_to_channel. The Wii will often reset instead of powering off. It's something to do with the way certain games shut down interacting with the cIOS and you just have to deal with it, switching the Wii off again once it returns to Cfg.
if it has to do with how games shut down... shouldn't it only affect those using the return_to_channel feature?? My logic is, if u don't have return_to_channel setup, u would not have loaded/exited a game just before launching cfg usb loader in the first place

anyways, its definitely not a huge deal, just thought I'd mention it. And since it sounds like u guys are aware of it, I'm satisfied

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
stingray1059 said:
what is the path for downloading PAL covers? all my PAL games has no back cover.
The default URLs should work just fine. Perhaps you should check WiiTDB to see if the covers are available or not.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Dr. Clipper said:
stingray1059 said:
what is the path for downloading PAL covers? all my PAL games has no back cover.
The default URLs should work just fine. Perhaps you should check WiiTDB to see if the covers are available or not.
If there is no back cover, it simply mean that the full cover isn't scanned yet.

Pip'

chop

Trophies
XP
Country
wes11ph said:
return_to_channel = DCFG

don't work for me

BTW: i edit the forwarder, replaced the dol with v60

I'm in the same boat, I assume that DCFG is the wrong ID, so how do I find the correct one, The forwarder I use is the one supplied by ModMii.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
chop said:
wes11ph said:
return_to_channel = DCFG

don't work for me

I'm in the same boat, I assume that DCFG is the wrong ID, so how do I find the correct one, The forwarder I use is the one supplied by ModMii.

to find the ID of any forwarder/channel open the .wad in Customizemii

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
chop said:
wes11ph said:
return_to_channel = DCFG

don't work for me

dude, the name of the forwarder channel/wad downloaded by modmii is:
usbloader(s)-(emulators)-IDCL.wad
if you still can't figure out the title ID from that, its "IDCL"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying