Hacking Configurable USB Loader

D

Deleted User

So I'm not new to Config but am new to this whole d2x CIOS thing. It would be pretty slick to not have to use alt.dol anymore for games like Metroid Prime Trilogy.

As I understand it, I could simply install this d2x CIOS into another slot I'm not using, and just direct Config to run the game with that slot? A while back (around Xmas 2010 I believe), I used Dr. Clipper's recommended method of installing all the best CIOS into funny slots like 248 so Nintendo doesn't overwrite them with their standard updates on discs (got burned once with the Mario All Stars collection). This has been working swell, and if I understand correct this just protects me from "accidentally" updating anything on the Wii from Nintendo which would require reinstalling CIOS again.

That being the case, is it recommended to install d2x into a commonly patched slot like 249? Maybe I'm just overthinking this, as the Wii appears to be kind of a dead system to Nintendo now (certainly not the platform, but probably the system as far as updates and such goes). Thanks for the suggestions.

The-Magician

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
davebaol said:
The-Magician said:
I´m trying to play CSI Fatal Conspiracy and use the default settings, block ios reload set to Auto its just resulting in a black screen and rebooting Wii. Also tried the solutions given here, but no result. I'm using the 249 d2x v6 base 56.
Read this:
http://gbatemp.net/t147638-configurable-us...t&p=3711572

As i already wrote given solutions still result in a reboot of the wii. Tried all settings given in this topic, got rid of the config.txt but no result. I am running from IOS249 (r21006) Base: ios56 d2x v6 mload v1.0

MarcusIronfist

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PsyBlade said:
MarcusIronfist said:
It just seems stupid that Nintendo would design a capability to copy/move save data from the internal NAND to and an SD card (and back again) while only allowing games to access data stored within the NAND...
stupid stops nobody

running games from sd the ninty way:
1. copy from sd to nand
2. run from nand
3. delete from nand

savegames are nand only
and since the wii has no OS it could only be changed in new games
or by hacks that cause their own problems

I really hope WiiU get an OS for abstracting HW access and managing multiple users

Ok, so what you are saying is, that even though the Mighty Channels app can provide a "virtual" NAND for VC and WiiWare apps, it cannot be done for real games?

Even with all the super-genius coders here (oggzee, WiiPower, Davebaol, xFlak, waninkoko, etc - many others whose names I have not caught)....

Edit (additional thoughts):

Ok, so "the Wii has no OS" - meaning no PRIMARY/CENTRAL OS (like Windows/Linux for PCs or OSX for Macs), which is why there are the separate IOS versions used by different channels/apps/games. Correct me if I am wrong then, but is it not the IOS that provides the game/channel/app software the access to the system hardware (video card, audio system, and NAND)?

Would it be possible to add an extra mod to the cIOS patches in order to reroute a game's NAND access to use a "virtual" NAND stored as a folder-tree on SD or USB? How does the Mighty Channels app pull it off for VC and WiiWare, since it uses the d2x cIOS mod?

MarcusIronfist

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OncleJulien said:
it can be done, but the developers of this loader believe its only useful to pirates.

FYI, the Wii's NAND is only 512MB, a VERY limited amount. Some games use 30+ "blocks" (how that translates to MB I do not know). In particular: Sims 3: 33 blocks, Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics: 96 blocks, LEGO Indiana Jones 2: 128 blocks.

It would be useful for ANYONE who has more than 20 games in their collection.

At least with the old PSX, PS2, and GC systems, you had swappable memory cards... You fill one, just slap in a new one... Can't do that with the Wii's NAND...

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MarcusIronfist said:
FYI, the Wii's NAND is only 512MB, a VERY limited amount. Some games use 30+ "blocks" (how that translates to MB I do not know). In particular: Sims 3: 33 blocks, Mario & Sonic Winter Olympics: 96 blocks, LEGO Indiana Jones 2: 128 blocks.

It would be useful for ANYONE who has more than 20 games in their collection.
preaching to the choir here - my kids have all the mysims games, and each game has a 100+ block save.

MarcusIronfist

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
chop said:
Ive got a few more than 20 games and the best part of 600 blocks left.

Most games take only 1 to 5 save blocks. But as I said, there are many out there that take large amounts.

My Wii has < 50 blocks free, which is why I am looking for an alternative to constantly moving from the NAND to SD to free up space, then move back again when I want to play the game... I should not have to do that...

goku1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive got way more than 20 but i use the save game mannger gx to transfer and back up my saves it works awesome. nand emu is second on my list i would love to see a way to load home brew with out
having to get a wad first!!!

as far as dx2v6 finaly my wife can play csi fatal conspearicy,if you are having trouble let me know ill tell you my set up.

edit: i can also comfirm we dare as working for me now as well using the same method

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
goku1980 said:
nand emu is second on my list
i should clarify - room for more saves via emulated nand is what has been associated with piracy in this thread in the past. a save file redirection, a la riivolution, has not been discussed in any detail...presumably because it uses ios and discs, not cios and loaders.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
MarcusIronfist said:
Ok, so what you are saying is, that even though the Mighty Channels app can provide a "virtual" NAND for VC and WiiWare apps, it cannot be done for real games?

Even with all the super-genius coders here (oggzee, WiiPower, Davebaol, xFlak, waninkoko, etc - many others whose names I have not caught)....

Edit (additional thoughts):

Ok, so "the Wii has no OS" - meaning no PRIMARY/CENTRAL OS (like Windows/Linux for PCs or OSX for Macs), which is why there are the separate IOS versions used by different channels/apps/games. Correct me if I am wrong then, but is it not the IOS that provides the game/channel/app software the access to the system hardware (video card, audio system, and NAND)?

Would it be possible to add an extra mod to the cIOS patches in order to reroute a game's NAND access to use a "virtual" NAND stored as a folder-tree on SD or USB? How does the Mighty Channels app pull it off for VC and WiiWare, since it uses the d2x cIOS mod?
no thats not what i meant

emulated nand can be done but thats an ugly hack imho
sneek and some usbloader (cant remember its name) do it for usb loading too
what cant be done is real integration of the sd
things like selecting to use internal storage or sd inside a of game

ios is much more basic then what I meant and 360/PS3 already do

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
davebaol said:
AFAIK Dr. Clipper is going to update the tutorial with d2x info.
Anyways I suggest d2x 249[56] and 250[57].

Not wanting to argue, but would d2x 246[56] and 247[57] not be better for 2 reasons. Your way breaks Triiforce etc for people that still use it (or is it working) and 6 being 6 and 7 being 7 seems the most simple thing for remembering.

Yeah, I'm prob wrong, but I don't fear learning
tongue.gif

*EDIT*

About emu nand for wii disc based saves. It's not only useful for pirates...grrr
tongue.gif

My daughter likes sims games @ ~125 blocks each, sooner or later without emu nand the sd spring gives way, unless you dont need to swap SD cards...
Also when a wii breaks, you need to start all your saves over again unless you made a backup recently, then you get a new wii and need to play every game once, make a save, delete move over old save etc. Very time consuming. Nand emu makes backups every time the files changes.
Not everyone has a drive that works with (u)SNEEK !
More reasons....cant be bothered explaining because realy a dev decides what he wants and not what I want so I'm greatful for whatever he decides to share..... which means work-arounds....

Either use (u)SNEEK, or uLoader. uLoader seems to work for 99% of people.

However you might love the cfg interface and sorting, filtering etc So make a forwarder iso that loads the games but using uloader. It will take about ~30 seconds to 1 min longer, but it works on a FAT partition using ciso. It's limits are that dual layer games can't be ran in ciso format afaik.

I would LOVE nand emu for everything, so I either need to wait for someone else to do it, do it myself or make my point and be patient.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Slimmmmmm said:
davebaol said:
AFAIK Dr. Clipper is going to update the tutorial with d2x info.
Anyways I suggest d2x 249[56] and 250[57].

Not wanting to argue, but would d2x 246[56] and 247[57] not be better for 2 reasons. Your way breaks Triiforce etc for people that still use it (or is it working) and 6 being 6 and 7 being 7 seems the most simple thing for remembering.

Yeah, I'm prob wrong, but I don't fear learning
tongue.gif
I have:
249[56]
247[57]
248[58]

goku1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nand emu. would be awesome thru cfg but yes it has been assioated with piracy not just her but a few other threads as well. i my self dont mind the guys not going for it i can see where they are coming from as being a reader/poster, every wii i have ever done has gotten cfg on it they all love the simplicty/complexity of the loader.ive tried other loaders and came to the conclusion cfg freaing rocks and wont use a nother loader. BUT I WANT HOMEBREW LOADING THREW CFG!!!!!!!!! i can never get the wiimc iso to load (i think the app hates me!!!!)

ive got it like this
247 (dx256v6)
249r14
250r21

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, no more +1